Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily news

All Pro

Daily news

If you guys are up for it, i'll post some daily news in here. Little bits from the rumor mill and such to help with your mocks. If it's all repeat garbage for you, then let me know and i'll stop.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen believes the Ravens would do "back flips" if Temple DT Muhammad Wilkerson fell to No. 26 overall. Analysis: We've now got two national analysts (also NFL Network's Brian Baldinger) convinced the Ravens are targeting a five-technique in the first round. Baltimore has shown more interest in Wilkerson than any draft-eligible player, meeting with him at the Combine, working him out privately, and hosting him for an official team-facility visit. He's Mel Kiper's No. 10 overall player.
    (Rotoworld) ESPN's Chris Mortensen expects the Bills to draft the best defensive player available at No. 3 overall in the draft.
    (Rotoworld) The Denver Post confirms that Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers is "unlikely" to be the Broncos' pick at No. 2 in the draft. Analysis: The Broncos did host Bowers for a pre-draft visit Monday, but at this point that's probably only in case he falls to round two. (A possibility.) While we're usually wary of pre-draft "smokescreens," concerns about Bowers are legit because he has a medical issue. He's going to be available in the teens.
    (Rotoworld) The Cowboys have reportedly decided against hosting Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara for a pre-draft visit. Analysis: A March 29 NFL.com report stated the Cowboys would bring Amukamara to Valley Ranch, but the Fort Worth Star-Telegram disputes that and says it "gives credence to the trending projections" of an offensive tackle at No. 9 overall in the draft. The Cowboys are hosting Anthony Castonzo, Tyron Smith, Nate Solder, and Derek Sherrod this week. Gabe Carimi isn't on the list.
    (Rotoworld) In addition to a forty time in the 4.37-4.42 range, Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling posted a 38" vertical and 10-foot-8 long jump at his Monday Pro Day. Analysis: Scouts on hand also characterized Dowling's hip fluidity as "good enough for his size" in position drills, and believe he has a future at cornerback "for a press (coverage) team." In comparison to CBs at the Combine, Dowling's forty time would've been a top-five mark. His vertical would've tied for third among the 50-plus corners, and his broad jump would've tied for second.
    . Mayock moves Cam Newton ahead of Locker (Rotoworld) NFL Network's Mike Mayock has finally moved Cam Newton ahead of Jake Locker as his No. 2-rated quarterback in the draft. Analysis: "He's dotting his Is and crossing his Ts," said Mayock of Newton's offseason. "He's done a great job in team interviews. I'm starting to buy that the kid cares." Mayock previously stated that he's already "bought in" on Newton as a passer and all-around quarterback. Added NFLN's Brian Baldinger, "I watched this kid dominate the SEC like no one since Bo Jackson."
    NFL Network's Brian Baldinger says he "knows" the Ravens won't pass on Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward if he's available at No. 26 overall. Analysis: The Ravens are known to be after 3-4 "five techniques," having shown a special interest in Muhammad Wilkerson of Temple and Christian Ballard from Iowa. Opinions are split on Heyward, however, because he's more of am immovable, container-type end as opposed to a natural pass rusher. It won't be shocking if he goes 26th, but there could be better playmakers available.
    (KFFL) The New York Jets likely will not consider selecting a quarterback until the later rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft if they decide to draft a quarterback, Rich Cimini, of ESPNNewYork.com.
    (Rotoworld) Panthers coach Ron Rivera told Cam Newton adviser Warren Moon that he's "convinced" the Auburn quarterback is a good enough passer to be worthy of the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.
    Analysis: "I've seen all I need to see as far as him throwing a football," Rivera told Moon. "I'm already convinced." Moon emerged from the conversation believing that Carolina is "sold" on Newton, and that they've "locked onto" him as the top pick in the draft. "It's just a matter of whether they want to go defense or offense," added Moon. "If they go quarterback, it'll be Cam."

Great stuff!! I vote for keep em coming. Thanks!

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL

Cimini with some more amazing insight.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

lol

What a toolbox

All Pro
    Thought you guys would like that one.

LOL

He's stealing my material!!!

Baldinger and Mayock were kind of going at it a bit yesterday on path to the draft on some of the players mentioned above. Baldinger is pretty blunt, perhaps too blunt in his assessments and I think Mayock didn't like being questioned on a few of his opinions.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He's stealing my material!!!

Baldinger and Mayock were kind of going at it a bit yesterday on path to the draft on some of the players mentioned above. Baldinger is pretty blunt, perhaps too blunt in his assessments and I think Mayock didn't like being questioned on a few of his opinions.
    do you remember who they were talking about? I haven't gotten around to setting my PVR to record PTTD this year... (hell i have 30+ eps of Total Access sitting there)..

its been hard coming back for that loss in Jan.

LOL

Lol...looked at that and snorted in the disgust it deserves.

Ravens are trying to move in on our guys aye...just what they need...a really talented guy across from Ngata and in front of Lewis and Suggs...please someone f that team hard...preferably the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    do you remember who they were talking about? I haven't gotten around to setting my PVR to record PTTD this year... (hell i have 30+ eps of Total Access sitting there)..

its been hard coming back for that loss in Jan.
    Oh basically the same things you mentioned above. Newton, Heyward, Bowers, Tyron Smith

Ozzie Newsome is the darling of the GM world but they really have not achieved any more than a lot of teams since the super bowl win. They tried to fix their WR problem with older vets and that did not work that well for them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Are teams really that worried about a meniscus tear to the point that Bowers might drop to the 2nd? That's insane.

If he's truly dropping, I'm guessing they are worried about more than just that injury.

crash, I think teams are concerned that he might need microfracture surgery on that knee

All Pro
    Where's CBNY... is that guy have me on block on something?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    crash, I think teams are concerned that he might need microfracture surgery on that knee
    Gotcha - Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Not happy to hear Baltimore is zero'ed in on a 34DE
    They're just rumors..Baltimore has nothing young at WR and CB.

All Pro
    April 7th

KFFL) Clemson DL Da'Quan Bowers (knee) does not need microfracture surgery on his right knee, reports Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, according to a league source. An earlier report by Pro Football Weekly suggested teams are concerned that Bowers may need the surgery. "No doctor has ever told us that Da'Quan needs micofracture in the future," the source said. Instead, at least one NFL team that's examined Bowers recently has said the knee looks great. Bowers will have the knee checked in Indianapolis Friday, April 8, and Saturday, April 9. There, he'll undergo another MRI to determine how the cartilage is healing.
    (Rotoworld) An NFL agent with ties to the Redskins tells the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Washington wants to use the No. 10 overall pick on a quarterback or wide receiver, "depending on who's there."
    (Rotoworld) NFL Network's Warren Sapp compares Missouri DE Aldon Smith's long-term ceiling to DeMarcus Ware. Analysis: "He can and will play," says Sapp, adding that Smith can be "a DeMarcus Ware-type player in two years." Sapp isn't a draft analyst, but he watches tape, has strong opinions, and many of them are good. John McClain and Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle both believe Smith is a realistic candidate to go to the Texans with the No. 11 overall pick in the draft.
    (Rotoworld) NFL.com's Gil Brandt suggests that Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling's impressive Pro Day has vaulted him back into the first-round conversation. Analysis: Brandt had Dowling timed as fast as 4.36, and says he "very well" could end up going late in the first round and will "definitely" be gone midway through the second. Other numbers from Dowling's Pro Day: A 4.26 short shuttle, and 6.85 three cone. Dowling has a 10-foot, 8-inch broad jump and 38-inch vertical.
    (KFFL) The New York Jets may consider selecting a tight end in the later rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft that could potentially be their No. 2 tight end, reports Rich Cimini, of ESPNNewYork.com
    (Rotoworld) ESPN's Mel Kiper said in a Wednesday conference call that USC OT Tyron Smith is one of the draft's hottest players leading up to April 28. Analysis: Specifically, Kiper called Smith's stock "red hot right now." The earliest we've seen Smith mocked is No. 9 to the Cowboys. Rotoworld's Chris Wesseling recently broached that Buffalo could consider Smith at No. 3, however, and the notion makes plenty of sense. The Bills have sore spots at both tackles. The most talented offensive tackle prospect in this draft class, Smith's most common comparison is D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
    (Rotoworld) Greg Cosell of NFL Films is the latest analyst to suggest that Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert's success will depend heavily on his ability to handle defensive pressure. Analysis: Unlike Ryan Mallett, who wasn't comfortable responding to real pressure, Gabbert perceived and reacted to pressure that wasn't there. Part of it can attributed to Mizzou's spread offense where the QB is often not required to make multiple reads. Gabbert is a major gamble for teams drafting in the top-10 because it's hard to project how he'll handle blitzes and throwing in traffic.

All Pro
    Friday April 8th news

(KFFL) UCLA LB Akeem Ayers visited the Baltimore Ravens Thursday, April 7, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.
    (Rotoworld) NFL Network's Michael Lombardi has Alabama's James Carpenter ranked as the second-best offensive tackle in the draft, behind only Tyron Smith of USC. Analysis: Lombardi believes Carpenter possesses the balance, power, and feet of a "ready-made left tackle" while also suggesting he has the capability to play inside. Rotoworld's Evan Silva mocks Carpenter at No. 58 overall to the Ravens while TFY Draft Insider has him slated at No. 61 to the Bears.
    (KFFL) North Carolina WR Greg Little visited the Baltimore Ravens Thursday, April 7, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.
    (KFFL) The Pittsburgh Steelers met with University of Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling Thursday, April 7, according to Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Thanks for these tidbits Paradis, Carpenter eh? That's a name that has not been mentioned much if at all in regards to the top OT group. The more the merrier though as long as teams are spending picks on positions we don't need the better it is for the Jets.

All Pro
    Monday april 11th

(FFChamps) Von Miller remains the favorite to be selected by Buffalo at pick No. 3 in the Draft, according to Peter King of Sports Illustrated. Analysis: Miller would be a great fit for Buffalo, as they have a significant need for outside pass-rushers in their 3-4 defense. It appears that the Bills are ready to turn the page on Aaron Maybin, who is yet to make an impact after being chosen with the 11th pick in the 2009 Draft. Miller has potential to be an explosive force in IDP leagues, possibly as early as his rookie year.
    (FFChamps) The Lions are believed to be high on Da'Quan Bowers and could target him if still on the board at pick No. 13 in the Draft, according to Peter King of Sports Illustrated.
    (Rotoworld) Beat writer Jim Thomas reiterates that the Rams are expected to re-sign free agent Mark Clayton. Analysis: Bringing back Clayton will become even more crucial if the Rams don't land Alabama WR Julio Jones in the draft. The Rams were close to a new deal with Clayton before the lockout, so a deal could be reached shortly after a new CBA. The ex-Raven piled up 22 catches for 300 yards in four full games with the Rams last season.
    KFFL) Central Florida OT Jah Reid is scheduled to visit the New York Jets Monday, April 11, the team announced, according to CBSSports.com.
    KFFL) Rutgers S Joe Lefeged is scheduled to visit the New York Jets Monday, April 11, the team announced, according to CBSSports.com.
    (KFFL) Temple DL Muhammad Wilkerson will visit the New York Jets Monday, April 11, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.
    (KFFL) Baylor DL Phil Taylor will visit the New York Jets Monday, April 11, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.
    (KFFL) Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett said his visit with the Minnesota Vikings went well and that he was impressed with the organization, reports Jeremy Fowler, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "I was really impressed by the organization, and the talks we had were positive," Mallett said. "I enjoyed talking football with them and showing them what I know and what I can do as a quarterback. I feel that's a place where I could thrive."
    (Rotoworld) Browns GM Tom Heckert says he wouldn't hesitate to take another corner even though he used the No. 7 overall pick on CB Joe Haden last year.
    (Rotoworld) The Cowboys "love" USC OT Tyron Smith and are "seriously considering" taking him at No. 9, according to SI's Peter King. Analysis: Smith has been linked to the Cowboys all spring as he fits perfectly as a bookend to LT Doug Free. Current starting RT Marc Colombo could end up being released this offseason, setting the stage for the fast-rising Smith to step right in.
    (Rotoworld) Panthers GM Marty Hurney admitted that he won't worry about Jimmy Clausen when making the No. 1 overall pick. Analysis: Hurney has shown faith in Clausen, but even he knows that the Notre Dame product is a poor bet to be a legit NFL starter. "If you go over the candidates and there's someone at the top who can be an impact player, you've got to consider him," Hurney said. In other words, the fact that the Panthers used their second-round pick last year on Clausen won't stop them from taking Cam Newton No. 1 overall.
    (Rotoworld) Per Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande, Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick's impressive offseason has positioned him to potentially be drafted in the "last ten slots" of the first round. Analysis: Scouts who've evaluated Kaepernick are reportedly "wowed" by his arm strength and ability to make 15-yard stick throws "from any position in the pocket." Kaepernick's combination of size, athleticism, and smarts are elite, but Lande notes that he'll have to make "big adjustments" in regard to technique and the transition from Nevada's Pistol to a pro-style offense.
    (Rotoworld) After doing a "lot of digging," ESPN 1500's Tom Pelissero believes Washington QB Jake Locker could be the Vikings' pick at No. 12 overall.
    Analysis: Locker has generated "comparisons internally" to Brett Favre at Vikings headquarters, and there is a "growing sense around the NFL" that he's Minnesota bound. "He's such a tough-ass football player," said one NFC executive, who attributed Locker's poor completion rates to his "motion" being "off." "Now, it's pretty good," added the exec. "He worked on it, fixed it in the offseason." The report states that Tennessee at No. 8 and Washington at No. 10 are also very much in the mix for Locker.
    (RotoWire) The Jets could be interested in Moss, the Boston Globe reports. Analysis: This isn't much more than an intriguing rumor at this point, but with Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards headed for free agency, the mercurial wideout could be a decent fit for the Jets at the right price, given his ability to do damage as a vertical receiver.
    (KFFL) The New York Jets are scheduled to meet with University of Colorado CB Jimmy Smith, a source told Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.
    (Rotoworld) The Bills' team doctor reportedly cleared Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers' surgically repaired knee last week.
    Analysis: This report allays concerns that the knee is in much worse condition than the Bowers camp has let on. Bowers reportedly had a "great meeting" with the Bills, and sources tell Yahoo's Doug Farrar that Denver and Buffalo are still interested. Though Farrar cautioned to take his report with a grain of salt, he also noted the Titans made it clear to Bowers that they would grab him at No. 8 if he's still on the board. The results of Bowers' medical recheck Friday in Indianapolis have not yet been released.
    (Rotoworld) Beat writer Jim Thomas thinks Alabama RB Mark Ingram could be the best value left on the board when the Rams pick at No. 14. Analysis: Thomas believes the Rams "should run up to the podium with (Julio Jones') name on a draft card" if he's still available, but admits he's extremely unlikely to be. Opinion is mixed on whether now is the right time for the Rams to draft Steven Jackson's successor, but if they do, it probably won't be in the first round.
    Rotoworld) Texas A&M OLB Von Miller will visit the Browns on Monday and Tuesday. Analysis: In dire need of a pass rusher, the Browns would likely run to the podium to get Miller's name in if he somehow fell to No. 6, there's just next to no chance that he will. If he gets past both Buffalo and Arizona, it will be one of the biggest surprises of the draft.
    (Rotoworld) The Patriots are likely to consider Virginia Tech RB Ryan Williams on day two of the draft. Analysis: Barring a late surge in his stock, Williams will not be a first-round draft pick. There has been a lot of chatter this spring that New England will pick up a running back on draft weekend, perhaps even Alabama's Mark Ingram, but Williams would be a stretch at No. 33. Expect him to fall beyond the Patriots on day two.
    (Rotoworld) Beat writer Tony Grossi thinks North Carolina DE Robert Quinn could be a target for the Browns, but only if they trade down from No. 6. Analysis: He says Quinn would then be a "serious consideration." Quinn's exact stock remains hazy, with it seeming possible that he could go as high as fifth, or as low as the late teens. Some analysts believe that if he had not been suspended for the entire 2010 season at UNC he'd be a sure-fire top-five pick
    (Rotoworld) The National Football Post's Wes Bunting has spoken with a scout who says he would take LSU CB Patrick Peterson over Darrelle Revis if forced to choose. Analysis: Draft season is littered with hyperbole, but this might be the boldest statement of the year thus far. Peterson is a rare prospect, but to expect any young player to play up to the the level of somebody like Revis, either right off the bat or in the future, is unfair. Equalling Revis' play is Peterson's best-case scenario, not a probability.
    (KFFL) The Atlanta Falcons are scheduled to conduct a private workout with UCLA LB Akeem Ayers, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.
    Rotoworld) The National Football Post's Aaron Wilson reports the Giants, Jets and Patriots are all "extremely high" on UCLA LB Akeem Ayers. Analysis: The Giants would probably be reaching if they took Ayers at No. 19, but the Patriots (No. 28) and Jets (No. 30) both represent plausible late first-round fits. However, it's quite possible Ayers' poor measurables from the NFL Combine will push him all the way to day two, even after he posted improved numbers at his Pro Day.
    (Rotoworld) The National Football Post's Wes Bunting reports TCU QB Andy Dalton's draft stock is "heating up." Analysis: Bunting has spoken with a scout who has Dalton rated higher than Jake Locker, and believes he has a shot to go late on day one. This comes on the heels of an ESPN report where Adam Schefter predicted Dalton would likely be drafted somewhere between 25th and 35th. Dalton doesn't have a ton of upside, but is about as "NFL ready" as any quarterback in the draft.
    (Rotoworld) Beat writer Jamison Hensley has the Ravens selecting Ohio State DE Cameron Heyward at No. 26. Analysis: Hensley believes Heyward's "strength, power and versatility fit the mold of the Ravens' defense." NFL Network's Brian Baldinger also recently mocked Heyward to the Ravens, but Baltimore usually marches to the beat of its own drummer in the draft, and predicting its pick is probably about as hard as it is for any team.

Football Outsiders did their "SackSeer" exercise... good read

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ram...lets-try-again