Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily news

LOL, Peterson rated ahead of Revis. I hope that all of these QB statements are true. I'll love it if more than 2 QB's go before us or that teams are so in love with one of them that they will badly want to trade up for our pick.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Football Outsiders did their "SackSeer" exercise... good read

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ram...lets-try-again
    Re that article, Phillip Hunt is no Cam Wake.

All Pro
    Interesting that we're bringing in Jimmy Smith...

Trying to imagine a scenario where we'd take him. Character stuff aside, bringing him would allow us to let Cromartie go ( i don't care what he cost us, what's done is done). But Ayers, Reed, Wilkerson, Houston, Heyward would all have to be gone. I don't see it. I'm mocking as we speak and I'm feeling a OT run in the twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Trying to imagine a scenario where we'd take him. Character stuff aside, bringing him would allow us to let Cromartie go ( i don't care what he cost us, what's done is done).
    Jimmy Smith for Cro is basically a straight swap. Both great athletes with no coachability and very little desire to tackle. there are many scenarios where if there is a run on DL/OLB, Smith the 3rd ranked CB at 30 is better value than the 14th DL or whatever. Also rex loves CBs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Jimmy Smith for Cro is basically a straight swap. Both great athletes with no coachability and very little desire to tackle. there are many scenarios where if there is a run on DL/OLB, Smith the 3rd ranked CB at 30 is better value than the 14th DL or whatever. Also rex loves CBs.
    Agreed. (interesting remark about the swap - I've heard he's the best press corner in the draft)

And what you're saying about a run on DL/OLB is what i was intimating when i said run on OTs... i just see the latter more likely than the former (KC,IND,PHI) giving us some options at OLB come our pick.

All Pro
    APRIL 12TH

Rotoworld) "Several" league sources tell CBS Sports that the Jets are strongly interested in free agent Randy Moss. Analysis: This report comes a day after the Boston Globe noted Rex Ryan's fondness of the player he termed "a great vertical receiver." Multiple "league insiders" also tell NFL.com's Vic Carucci that the possibility of New York losing at least one of free agents Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Brad Smith is "very real." Moss, 34, could be a short-term stopgap if the Jets lose one of the latter two. They'll make every effort to retain Holmes.
    (Rotoworld) After watching tape of Andy Dalton, Football Outsiders' Doug Farrar assessed the TCU quarterback as a "fringe prospect with a limited palette." Analysis: Farrar concedes that Dalton's intangibles (42-8 career record) impress, and that he made strides annually as a four-year college starter. Unfortunately, Dalton's arm lacks "intermediate velocity" to make NFL-type throws, and this showed up at the Senior Bowl when his passes wobbled in windy Mobile. Farrar came away from the TCU film likening Dalton to Colt McCoy.
    (Rotoworld) According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn's Erb Palsy condition in his right arm is a "hot topic around the league." Analysis: Teams are legitimately concerned that Clayborn's upper-body strength is affected by the condition, although Mayock says he's seen nothing negative on tape. The weakness may have shown up in Clayborn's 17 reps of 225, which with 32 1/2-inch arms is not a good number. The biggest worry is that Clayborn's "injury" curtails his versatility. At 6'3/278, his best theoretical fit would be at left end in a 4-3. And he strictly played RE at Iowa.
    (Rotoworld) NFL.com's Gil Brandt says the Cowboys are "probably" going to draft USC OT Tyron Smith at No. 9 overall. Analysis: Brandt expects Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt to be Dallas' other consideration, though offensive tackle is a more valued position than 3-4 end. Brandt, like SI's Tony Pauline, is convinced that the Cowboys won't take Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara. Smith would likely play right tackle for the Cowboys, unless he proves a better pass protector than Doug Free right off the bat.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Trying to imagine a scenario where we'd take him. Character stuff aside, bringing him would allow us to let Cromartie go ( i don't care what he cost us, what's done is done). But Ayers, Reed, Wilkerson, Houston, Heyward would all have to be gone. I don't see it. I'm mocking as we speak and I'm feeling a OT run in the twenties.
    I would be on board with Smith as long as he passes Rex's character test. He's got serious maturity issues, but I'll never speak to the kid personally, so it's no up to me to decide if he has grown up or if he's still a knucklehead.

His ability is undeniable.

And I agree about the cost of Cromartie. It's water under the bridge at this point.

FWIW, I would take Smith before Houston or Reed and maybe even Ayers.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

FWIW, I would take Smith before Houston or Reed and maybe even Ayers.
    I'm feeling the same thing. Kerrigan (not likely by a long shot) and the 3-4 DEs are the guys i'd take before Smith, but after them... not a bad idea.

All Pro
    April 12th Con't

(Rotoworld) NFL Films guru Greg Cosell compares Colorado CB Jimmy Smith's on-field skill set to that of Darrelle Revis. Analysis: Cosell says Smith possesses "clearly the mindset" of a man-to-man cover corner, plays "with an attitude," and has "loose hips" with a "smooth transition." Again, no one questions Smith's capabilities if his mind is right. He is plenty physical, and has the ability to shut down wide receivers in the NFL.
    (Rotoworld) The Jets are one of the many NFL teams that believe Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan can transition to outside linebacker in their 3-4. Analysis: The Jets host Kerrigan on Wednesday. New York missed on a "conversion end" in 2009, picking Vernon Gholston sixth overall. They've avoided that position since. Rex Ryan's pass rush lagged noticeably last year, however, and the team is now likely to use at least one top three-round pick on an outside 'backer.
    Rotoworld) ESPN director of college scouting Todd McShay said on SportsCenter Tuesday that he's convinced Washington QB Jake Locker will be drafted in the first half of the first round. Analysis: "I think he goes in the top 16," said McShay, calling himself a "believer" that Locker will be drafted higher than most expect. We agree. Locker's intangibles, arm strength, and athleticism are all ideal, and playing in Steve Sarkisian's pro-style scheme is another feather in his cap. Some NFL coach will believe he can transfer Locker's accuracy on the run to inside the pocket.

I'd be disappointed if we took smith over a legit DE or olb prospect. I know our coach loves cbs but anyone not named Revis will get beat if the QB gets time. Smiths character sounds too risky for me.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'd be disappointed if we took smith over a legit DE or olb prospect. I know our coach loves cbs but anyone not named Revis will get beat if the QB gets time. Smiths character sounds too risky for me.
    See below

(Rotoworld) One unnamed NFL GM tells MLive.com that Colorado CB Jimmy Smith's character concerns have been overblown by the media. Analysis: Interviewed by MLive.com's Tom Kowalski a few days ago, the GM said Smith's "off-field stuff isn't going to downgrade him nearly as much as people think." While we don't necessarily think this gets Smith's stock back into the teens like his talent says it should, it's very hard to imagine him falling out of round one. He'll be in play for the Eagles at 23 and Seattle at 25.
    The truth is probably is the middle there. I agree that i don't think he directly solves our pass rush problem, but I think he's clearly a better choice than Reed or Ayers, and maybe Houston in regards to what he can do in 2011.

I do however value Jordan, Heyward & Wilkerson more. Then Smith.

My wish list would look like this.

trade up scenarios:
    1- Jordan
    2- Kerrigan
    3- Watt

@ our spot
    1- Heyward
    2- Wilkerson
    3- Smith
    4- Taylor

Trade back:
    1- Ayers
    2- Reed
    3- Ballard

All Pro
    I wish CB would chime in on some of this, but he must have blocked me or something. Don't think he sees the thread

All Pro
    April 13th

(Rotoworld) Although it's still considered a "long shot," the Jets have reportedly not "completely" ruled out making a run at free agent Nnamdi Asomugha. Analysis: There's a better chance Antonio Cromartie will be brought back, but the Jets won't "break the bank" to do so. Beat writer Rich Cimini believes it would be "foolish" to hand a starting job to Kyle Wilson with no offseason practices to ease the transition. The Jets could be in the market for a stopgap solution opposite Darrelle Revis.
    (Rotoworld) In addition to the Broncos and Titans, the Redskins and Bears are reportedly "exploring their options" to trade down in the first round of the draft. Analysis: The Redskins would be looking to recoup picks after dealing their third- and fourth-rounders last offseason. Like the Titans, they would be more willing to deal down if a premier QB isn't available when their pick rolls around. The Bears are looking for help on both lines and wide receiver while also trying to get younger on defense.
    (Rotoworld) The Denver Post's Mike Klis is "hearing" that Georgia WR A.J. Green has joined Cam Newton as a candidate to go No. 1 overall to the Panthers. Analysis: Carolina has already been reported as "enamored" with Green, so this hardly comes as shocking news. On the other hand, the Denver Post acknowledges that the Panthers' actions indicate they have "created the most expensive, time-consuming smoke screen in recent draft history" if Newton isn't the pick.
    (Rotoworld) Larry Fitzgerald "doubts" the Cardinals will draft a quarterback with the No. 5 overall pick.
    (Rotoworld) Chad Reuter of CBS Sports confirms that USC OT Tyron Smith's surgically repaired knee has checked out medically with "several teams." Analysis: Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki suggested Tuesday that Smith's knee was still an issue in the eyes of some team doctors, but that seems like extra precaution. Smith proved to be healthy when he aced his Pro Day workout in late March. Smith's knee has recovered well, and multiple team doctors "foresaw no future issues."
    (TheHuddle) The St. Louis Rams are looking to find help for RB Steven Jackson in the NFL Draft, according to Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. At least four of the team's pre-draft visitors are running backs. The prospects include Hawaii RB Alex Green, Illinois RB Mikel LeShoure, Louisiana State RB Stevan Ridley and Kansas State RB Daniel Thomas.
    Analysis: Jackson has been a workhorse runner for a number of years but has had his fair share of injuries over the last few seasons. St. Louis will likely look to add another running back as an insurance policy for an injury to Jackson and also to be his heir apparent for the Rams in the future.
    (Rotoworld) The Dolphins were reportedly impressed by Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett during a recent trip to Fayetteville and may end up spending more time with him than any other prospect. Analysis: Mallett is due to visit Dolphins headquarters Thursday and Friday, which will bring up to speed with TCU's Andy Dalton, who has met privately with Miami twice already. The Dolphins have also spent time with Christian Ponder, Cam Newton, Ricky Stanzi, and Colin Kaepernick. It's worth noting that NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora and beat writer Omar Kelly both consider Miami "highly unlikely" to draft Mallett.
    (Rotoworld) The agent for Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers is emphatically refuting reports that his client's knee shows potential for an arthritic or degenerative condition.
    Analysis: Bowers' scope involved a small chondroplasty that involved "scratching" instead of the "drilling" that would be associated with a microfracture procedure. The agent insists that every team he's spoken to has provided positive feedback on Bowers' knee with "absolutely no acute or remote ill-effects as a result of his April 1 workout." Multiple doctors at Bowers' medical recheck noted improvement in Bowers' grade since the Combine. The agent also states that he's received no reports of possible arthritis or a need for further surgery. The Bowers camp concedes that "comfort-levels will vary by team." It's impossible for an outside observer to distinguish smokescreens from genuine concern during the heart of disinformation season

All Pro
    April 14th

Jets | Corey Liuget visits (KFFL) Illinois DL Corey Liuget visited the New York Jets Wednesday, April 13, reports Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.
    (Rotoworld) The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero does not believe the Dolphins would draft Ryan Mallett with the 15th overall pick. Analysis: This aligns with previous reports from NFL.com's Jason La Canfora and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's Omar Kelly. Salguero believes the Fins would only consider Mallett in round one if they're able to trade down. A source tells Salguero that Mallett had "consumption" issues at Arkansas. "That is a fact all teams know about." Salguero also relays concern about Mallett's "unimpressive leadership" and tendency to "shrink in big moments."
    (Rotoworld) Avid tape watchers Greg Cosell (NFL Films), Merril Hoge (ESPN), and Charley Casserly (NFL Network) all believe that Mikel Leshoure is a superior running back prospect to Mark Ingram. Analysis: Cosell, in fact, has Ingram ranked third behind both Leshoure and Ryan Williams. Ingram is Hoge's No. 2 back between Leshoure and mega-sleeper Johnny White of North Carolina. It's almost been a preconceived notion that Ingram would be the first running back drafted, but we're not sure he'll even go in the first round. It's a race that should end April 29th.
    (Rotoworld) According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the Seahawks high enough on Ryan Mallett to strongly consider him at No. 25. Analysis: "(The Seahawks) have done a lot of work on him," Lombardi says. "There is a feeling that (the Seahawks) hope he gets down to their pick at 25. I think he does fit what they want to do offensively. He can run a pro style. They don't feel the problems off the field are as bad as some people might suspect." It wouldn't be surprising if Seattle was willing to overlook some of Mallett's character concerns. They need a quarterback in the worst way.
    (Rotoworld) Citing "three sources," the National Football Post reports that Nick Fairley skipped a scheduled dinner with Dolphins coach Tony Sparano and GM Jeff Ireland following Auburn's March 8 Pro Day. Analysis: Perhaps Fairley was so confident about his stock that he didn't believe he'd ever make it to No. 15 overall. NFP's report all but confirms those first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter -- that Fairley is irresponsible and unreliable. Combine these red flags with one-year wonder and "motor" concerns, and Fairley is a candidate to drop further than expected on draft day.
    (Rotoworld) One "savvy" NFL talent evaluator tells Pro Football Weekly that Brooks Reed should "give half his signing bonus to Clay Matthews" if the Arizona pass rusher cracks the draft's first round. Analysis: Just remember it's disinformation season. The evaluator concedes that Reed has a nonstop motor, but questions his fluidity, lack of more than one pass-rush move, and inability to shed blocks. Whether it's right or not, Matthews comparisons have surely helped Reed. The two have similar ten-yard splits, in addition to mediocre college production and long, blonde hair.
    (Rotoworld) NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that at least two running back-needy teams have removed Alabama RB Mark Ingram from their draft boards. Analysis: "I've had two teams tell me the knee is very bad," said Lombardi. "He won't be on their boards. They're teams that need running backs." Mike Mayock is also "not so sure" Ingram will be a first-rounder. The consensus is that there's better value on mid-round backs, as opposed to Ingram in the first. Look for the Patriots to have a chance to draft Ingram at No. 33 overall.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

(Rotoworld) One "savvy" NFL talent evaluator tells Pro Football Weekly that Brooks Reed should "give half his signing bonus to Clay Matthews" if the Arizona pass rusher cracks the draft's first round. Analysis: Just remember it's disinformation season. The evaluator concedes that Reed has a nonstop motor, but questions his fluidity, lack of more than one pass-rush move, and inability to shed blocks. Whether it's right or not, Matthews comparisons have surely helped Reed. The two have similar ten-yard splits, in addition to mediocre college production and long, blonde hair.
    I said it before, but Reed's long blond hair is this year's version of jumping out of a pool. Yes, I realize that Reed has some production in the Senior Bowl and in college, but he's getting so much hype and a good deal of it stems from his resemblence to Clay Matthews.

If the Jets trade down to 40 - 45 and get Reed, I'm more than cool with it. But I sincerely hope they don't pull the trigger on him at 32.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I said it before, but Reed's long blond hair is this year's version of jumping out of a pool. Yes, I realize that Reed has some production in the Senior Bowl and in college, but he's getting so much hype and a good deal of it stems from his resemblence to Clay Matthews.

If the Jets trade down to 40 - 45 and get Reed, I'm more than cool with it. But I sincerely hope they don't pull the trigger on him at 32.
    Completely agree!

All Pro

Yup. I like Reed and everything, but no way at #30 overall. He is fast and has some pass-rush ability, but he looks overly muscled and has questions about his ability to play in reverse and change direction fluidly in the open field. Flowing locks aside, he reminds me just as much of Vernon Gholston as he does of Clay Matthews.

Reed would be worth a flyer later on (later in round 2 or early in round 3) if the Jets can trade down, but I agree that 1st round is just too early for him.

Talking of Matthews, does anyone else think that Casey Matthews can play OLB in the 3-4? I have this nagging feeling that a team like the Ravens or the Steelers is going to pick him in round 4 or 5, move him to the outside and watch him develop into a good pass-rushing OLB. He's not the athlete that his brother is, but you can't argue with his production or his lineage.

there's little real difference between picking at 30 and 40. they are all red chips, with similar salaries.

this is not like the difference between 5 and 15. It's all rd 2 grades after about 20 or so.

also I think Reed to Clay Matthews is a lazy comparison. He reminds me of Orakpo. Very very strong.

Plus two hundred fifty thousand and eighty five.

All Pro
    (Rotoworld) JaMarcus Russell's "life coach," John Lucas, has cut ties with the 2007 draft bust and asked him to leave Houston, according to Yahoo's Jason Cole.
    Analysis: Lucas, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1976 NBA draft and a former professional tennis player, is renowned for helping athletes with addiction and personal problems. After initially working hard to get back to the NFL, Russell had lost motivation, forcing Lucas to bring in Charles Barkley as a mentor. Both men have now thrown up their hands in frustration with Russell's "deteriorating work habits." Perhaps most damning, Ravens president Ozzie Newsome, a fellow Alabama native, refused a request to meet with Russell in January. Said one source to Cole, "The title of your article should be, 'It's Over.'"
    (Rotoworld) According to Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki, North Carolina DT Marvin Austin has a reputation among scouts as a "finger-pointing, excuse-making con artist." Analysis: Nawrocki was publicly flogged for singling out Cam Newton as a major character risk, but he's been brutally forthcoming on character concerns for years. Austin reportedly interviewed "very poorly" at the Combine, showing no leadership ability while shirking all responsibility for his dismissal from North Carolina's program.
    Can you say Chris Johnson effect? Watch him go day 1.

(Rotoworld) Eastern Washington RB Taiwan Jones ran the forty-yard dash at 4.32 and 4.35 seconds at Thursday's Pro Day workout.
    Analysis: Jones reportedly clocked between 4.29 and 4.35 on all stopwatches. It's an emphatic sign that he's fully recovered from late-season foot surgery. Checking in at 6'1", 196 pounds with "nary an ounce of body fat," Jones also recorded an impressive 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot broad jump -- just five inches short of the record. Jones is the most explosive athlete in this year's running back class. Thursday's performance, in front of representatives from 26 teams, should lock him into the draft's second day. His stock is skyrocketing.
    (KFFL) The St. Louis Rams recently met with University of Miami CB Brandon Harris, according to Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
    (KFFL) Updating previous reports, the New York Jets are meeting with University of Georgia LB Justin Houston, University of Illinois LB Martez Wilson, University of Texas DL Sam Acho, Temple DL Elijah Joseph and University of Tennessee WR Denarius Moore Thursday, April 14, reports Rich Cimini, of ESPNNewYork.com.
    (RotoWire) White is emerging as a big sleeper at the running back position for the 2011 NFL Draft. Analysis: We've had White ranked third among running backs all offseason, and ESPN's Merril Hoge recently stated the same opinion. ESPN's Todd McShay and Universal Draft's Chris Kouffman also both identified White as the most underrated runner in the draft. It's looking like the secret is out on White, who could go as early as the second round, but looks more likely to land in the third. White's game is almost identical to the Marion Barber of old. That comparison doesn't generate much hype these days, but Barber used to be one of the best and White is a similar player.
    (RotoWire) Kerrigan met with the Jets on Wednesday, the National Football Post reports. Analysis: The Jets could use a ton of work on its front seven, but Kerrigan won't be an option for them unless they give up basically their entire draft to trade up for him. Kerrigan looks unlikely to make it out of the first 12 picks, and could be a target in the top 10.
    (RotoWire) Contrary to the implications of a previous report, Fairley did not stand up Dolphins coach Tony Sparano and general manager Jeff Ireland at a scheduled dinner, but rather declined to attend an optional dinner after working out for the Dolphins, Miami Herald writer Jeff Darlington reports. Analysis: What looked like a blunder on Fairley's part turns out to be a bit of a black eye for Aaron Wilson. It's not clear whether Wilson lacked that background info or merely declined to provide it, but it was an unfair portrayal of Fairley, either way.
    (Rotoworld) John Eisenberg of CSN Baltimore's Ravens Insider expects the team to go for defense with the 26th pick in the draft.