Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As of today

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

As of today

Who is your gut feeling on who the Jets will select in the 1st round?

My head tells me Rex Ryan knows he can't go into next season with only Sione Pouha and MTV at arguably the most important position in the 3-4, so therefor the selection will be Phil Taylor of Baylor.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    sheard. jets will find DTs in later rounds.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brooks Reed!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taylor if he's still around...Ayers if he's still around...Heyward if he's still around...Wilkerson if he's still around...I guess I'd go Ayers of the bunch...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Rex likes his defensive linemen far more than the fans do. With that said, I think Tanny runs the draft, with Rex's input; not vice versa. I can't say who our pick is right now because it's completely dependent on who the teams in front of us take. We'll take whatever guy is there for us. Taylor, Heyward, Kerrigan, Ayers, Houston, Ballard, etc. You know who they are.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WW85 View Post
    Brooks Reed!!!
    I've been reading that Reed is projected more as a 3rd or fourth rounder- with one actual scout telling a Boston reporter (i think it was Reiss) that his team had him graded as a 5th rounder. Not true how much truth there is to this but i think its entirely possible Reed is one of these overhyped guys by fans and Mel Kiper because he looks like Clay Matthews and has some solid highlights from a game on youtube. Anyone have an article or anything concrete where someone who actually knows what they are talking about (i.e Mayock) breaks Reed down a little?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really want Ayers if he's around. He fills a front seven need, and he seems like a pretty versatile guy that can help in coverage over the middle and in the pass rush.

Safety is an overstated need nor do any players warrant a 1st round grade, I don't see an offensive player being taken (unless a really good RT prospect slips), and we can get some decent DE/NT prospects in the middle rounds.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BFfan View Post
    Anyone have an article or anything concrete where someone who actually knows what they are talking about (i.e Mayock) breaks Reed down a little?
    I was in Mobile and saw him up close. He beat Sherrod several times in the 1st practice. He beat Solder in the game. He has strength, motor and a spin move.

I don't think he will be amazing like Demarcus Ware but he should have a solid career and be good for 5-8 sacks a year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I really want Ayers if he's around. He fills a front seven need, and he seems like a pretty versatile guy that can help in coverage over the middle and in the pass rush.

Safety is an overstated need nor do any players warrant a 1st round grade, I don't see an offensive player being taken (unless a really good RT prospect slips), and we can get some decent DE/NT prospects in the middle rounds.
    Starting to agree....Ayers could fall and I think we grab him as he will be considered the "BAP" at the time. Plus I like the move as i think we can get a lineman like powe or hopefully ellis later in the draft.

I really hope we dont end up with Taylor. He is "rising" because he is really the only NT out there. Would anyone be that surprised if powe had a better career the taylor....and that would be 3 round later.

The other interesting scenario would be if kerrigan falls as teams dont think he can fit in their 3-4 defense.

I dont see why he couldnt work out absolutely great as a DE in our defense as we dont play a traditional 3-4, he is a hard worker who plays the run well, and is very similar in size to Suggs, who managed ok in Rex's baltimore 3-4 defense.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we will be picking one of the Iowa boys (who will both be on the board). I think the pool of players that we will be selecting from will be:

Ballard
    Clayborn
    Reed
    Bailey
    Paea
    Houston

Just a hunch: Adrian Clayborn is drafted by the Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting question with all the rumors swirling around this player: If Bowers by some crazy circumstance dropped to us, do you take him? Where would he play on this D?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Woody gone i can see a dominate RT drafted w/1st or a TRADEOUT!!!. Jets get xtra pick in the 3rd..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cam Heyward

It just makes way too much sense. It'll take a tradeup to make it happen, but I think we can all agree that Tanny isn't the least bit afraid of moving up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Interesting question with all the rumors swirling around this player: If Bowers by some crazy circumstance dropped to us, do you take him? Where would he play on this D?
    the short answer is he doesn't really fit in this D. Maybe in a couple years he could transition to 5-tech like Ellis.

here's my Jets "short" list as of today april 6

OLB
    Brooks Reed
    Jabaal Sheard
    Akeem Ayers

DE
    Cam Heyward
    Mo Wilkerson
    Chr. Ballard
    Al Bailey

I dont think all of these names make it to 30. Maybe 2 or 3. obviously there are other names like Cam Jordan, Ryan Kerrigan (and Nick Fairley lol) who will be long gone. Phil Taylor i see as more of a 2nd rd player, and NT is not a need.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Cam Heyward

It just makes way too much sense. It'll take a tradeup to make it happen, but I think we can all agree that Tanny isn't the least bit afraid of moving up.
    Other than moving up a few spots, Tanny doesn't have the ammo to trade up this year...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    its funny how everyone concerned if Brooks Reed is worth the pick

he's risen so fast we should be concerned if he makes it to 30. He really might not. teams like Hou and Jac would love him and both of those are not scared to "reach" like on Alualu and Kareem Jackson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    its funny how everyone concerned if Brooks Reed is worth the pick

he's risen so fast we should be concerned if he makes it to 30. He really might not. teams like Hou and Jac would love him and both of those are not scared to "reach" like on Alualu and Kareem Jackson.
    Bit....I'm getting this bad feeling that Brooks Reed is this years Jeff Lageman(not a bad player,but not worth the 1st round tag).I respect your knowledge of these players so much,tell me why I shouldn't feel this way about him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Bit....I'm getting this bad feeling that Brooks Reed is this years Jeff Lageman(not a bad player,but not worth the 1st round tag).I respect your knowledge of these players so much,tell me why I shouldn't feel this way about him.
    My response to that is that Jeff Lageman was a great Jet and they can use another player like that.

If the worst case scenario on Reed was lageman, that would be a great floor for any prospect to have.

Jets fans have to be realistic about this pick. It's 30. It's not 3. they aren't getting Von Miller, Kerrigan or Cam Jordan. They are going to get a player with some limitations... and no matter who they pick there will be something "wrong" with that pick. Allen Bailey might have more physical upside than Brooks Reed but he's not as safe. both players might be considered better value at the 40 slot than the 30 slot... in the end I don't think it matters. the blue chips will be long gone, the Jets will get a red chip player hopefully.

I dont expect they will get a Demarcus Ware or terrell Suggs with this pick. They might get an Anthony Spencer or a Manny Lawson. and I'm ok with that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    My response to that is that Jeff Lageman was a great Jet and they can use another player like that.

If the worst case scenario on Reed was lageman, that would be a great floor for any prospect to have.

Jets fans have to be realistic about this pick. It's 30. It's not 3. they aren't getting Von Miller, Kerrigan or Cam Jordan. They are going to get a player with some limitations... and no matter who they pick there will be something "wrong" with that pick. Allen Bailey might have more physical upside than Brooks Reed but he's not as safe. both players might be considered better value at the 40 slot than the 30 slot... in the end I don't think it matters. the blue chips will be long gone, the Jets will get a red chip player hopefully.

I dont expect they will get a Demarcus Ware or terrell Suggs with this pick. They might get an Anthony Spencer or a Manny Lawson. and I'm ok with that.
    Thanks,well said. A red chip won't be bad at all,I guess.