Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As of today

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    My response to that is that Jeff Lageman was a great Jet and they can use another player like that.

If the worst case scenario on Reed was lageman, that would be a great floor for any prospect to have.

Jets fans have to be realistic about this pick. It's 30. It's not 3. they aren't getting Von Miller, Kerrigan or Cam Jordan. They are going to get a player with some limitations... and no matter who they pick there will be something "wrong" with that pick. Allen Bailey might have more physical upside than Brooks Reed but he's not as safe. both players might be considered better value at the 40 slot than the 30 slot... in the end I don't think it matters. the blue chips will be long gone, the Jets will get a red chip player hopefully.

I dont expect they will get a Demarcus Ware or terrell Suggs with this pick. They might get an Anthony Spencer or a Manny Lawson. and I'm ok with that.
    i agree with this to a point. because this draft is deep in defensive talent, and because some teams will inevitably 'reach' for offensive players, i believe moreso this year that defensive players will 'fall' to the jets at 30 that in a year in which the overall talent is more balanced b/t offense and defense. accordingly i think there's a possibility that the DE the jets could possibly get at 30 (say, a heyward) could be just as good as the DE taken in the 10-15 range (say, jordan) and that olbs like ayers could be a star in ryan's schemes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    accordingly i think there's a possibility that the DE the jets could possibly get at 30 (say, a heyward) could be just as good as the DE taken in the 10-15 range (say, jordan) and that olbs like ayers could be a star in ryan's schemes.
    i agree with that... the DE/olb they are getting at 30 this year is better than the de/olb they could have gotten at that point during Gholston's year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i agree with that... the DE/olb they are getting at 30 this year is better than the de/olb they could have gotten at that point during Gholston's year.
    i think this reality has very nice implications. first, the jets can sit at 30 if they choose, and probably get a very good front 7 defensive player. whether that guy is an olb like ayers or a de like heyward, well that's another matter. second, since free agency will occur after the draft, nobody can really target players the jets may want b/c the jets could take a NT, DE, or olb at 30. and b/c of the defensive depth, i think the jets could trade back 10 spots or so, and still pick up a guy like ballard, who in other years would be a fringe 1st rounder.