Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Samardzija should HAVE played football

Jeff Samardzija should HAVE played football

....he's sucks at baseball

7.53 ERA in 2009, 8.38 ERA in 2010, now 9.00 ERA in 2011. Early I know, but jeez, he's bad.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 04-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.

All League
    I was wondering why he chose baseball, he was a pretty damn good receiver?

Probably the big $$ potential for a baseball pitcher.

Hall Of Fame
    should HAVE ;)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3994640]....he's sucks at baseball

7.53 ERA in 2009, 8.38 ERA in 2010, now 9.00 ERA in 2011. Early I know, but jeez, he's bad.[/QUOTE]

He signed a 5 year, $10 million deal to play a sport where he doesn't run the risk of being paralyzed or sustaining head trauma on a weekly basis.

He may be better at catching footballs and running routes, but baseball was a no-brainer.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3994663]He signed a 5 year, $10 million deal to play a sport where he doesn't run the risk of being paralyzed or sustaining head trauma on a weekly basis.

He may be better at catching footballs and running routes, but baseball was a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

+1. Plus, nothing says he would have been any good as a pro receiver either

I was saying years ago he should have played football or at least try to be the latest two sport athlete like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders were back in the day. From a financial perspective choosing MLB was a no-brainer. Longer career, way less dangerous and potential to earn way more money. However he could have been a decent slot receiver in the NFL which is better than what he is right now in baseball.

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3994663]He signed a 5 year, $10 million deal to play a sport where he doesn't run the risk of being paralyzed or sustaining head trauma on a weekly basis.

He may be better at catching footballs and running routes, but baseball was a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]

this

[QUOTE=SDJETS;3994667]+1. Plus, nothing says he would have been any good as a pro receiver either[/QUOTE]

Szamardzija is slow by NFL WR standards but he has the size and skill set to be a decent slot receiver in the NFL or at least he did 4 years ago when he was at Notre Dame. Who knows how he has conditioned himself in the last several years he's probably become as unatheletic as most MLB relief pitchers are.

Hall Of Fame

Vernon Gholston figured out how to snag four times that amount and he also did
    not risk sustaining head trauma or paralysis on a weekly basis :yes:

Just sayin'

All Pro
    It's funny you bring this up, i was just thinking about ol' Jeffy the other day wondering WTF

Great points. Making headlines and glory is not the ultimate goal, but setting up for your family's future is.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

no doubt about it....same reason Matt Szczur chose baseball over football.....jake locker will eventually try baseball- but for different reasons....

$10 million and his body doesn't take a beating. He absolutely made the right choice.

[B][SIZE=2]Samardzija believes he will break away from past[/SIZE][/B]

By Paul Sullivan, Tribune reporter 1:37 p.m. CDT, March 26, 2011

[URL]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0327-cubs-spring-training-chic20110326,0,2844237.story[/URL]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=EM31;3994703]Vernon Gholston figured out how to snag four times that amount and he also did
    not risk sustaining head trauma or paralysis on a weekly basis :yes:

Just sayin'[/QUOTE]

Very true. The only head trauma sustained via the Ghost were by Jets fans as they slammed their heads against the wall watching him try to get to the QB.

His stuff looks alright this year...I think he's a middle reliever with upside...sucks for the money but hopefully another reason Hendry is gone next year.

All League
    Dennis Dixon probably should have chosen baseball. The Braves drafted him in the 4th round out of Oregon despite not having played competitively in 4 years.

All Pro
    he is healthy, and working on his 3rd year of MLB... **** it... he is WINNING

[QUOTE=TerminatorJet;3994675]I was saying years ago he should have played football or at least try to be the latest two sport athlete like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders were back in the day. From a financial perspective choosing MLB was a no-brainer. Longer career, way less dangerous and potential to earn way more money. However he could have been a decent slot receiver in the NFL which is better than what he is right now in baseball.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, that would be something though he is content to coast along on the money in MLB

All Pro
    Yeah, if he was playing football he could be making less money, on his 4th concussion, with the possibility of taking a year off.

I hope I can make a bad descion where I only get 10 million dollars.