Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 2nd last mock before the draft...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    agree. i think the vince young failure may make teams more hesitant to invest a 1st round pick in guys who have the physical attributes but little else.
    I concur, but i'm hearing consistently that Newton's passing and footwork, while not Matt Ryan-esque or anything, is not even comparable to the Youngs or Tebows. He's sold the scouts on his passing ability. It's been his character and committment that continues to be an issue. I question that.

regardless... I think whomever drafts Newton will have to change their offense into the Newton Offense. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I concur, but i'm hearing consistently that Newton's passing and footwork, while not Matt Ryan-esque or anything, is not even comparable to the Youngs or Tebows. He's sold the scouts on his passing ability. It's been his character and committment that continues to be an issue. I question that.

regardless... I think whomever drafts Newton will have to change their offense into the Newton Offense. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    I dunno....if you are going to take a QB #1 (or very close to it) and be forced to change your entire Offense to cater to the guy, you sure as sh!t better be hitting a home run or else you are fuked seven ways to Sunday. And just having to change your offense to fit a guy in makes me wary off the bat.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I dunno....if you are going to take a QB #1 (or very close to it) and be forced to change your entire Offense to cater to the guy, you sure as sh!t better be hitting a home run or else you are fuked seven ways to Sunday. And just having to change your offense to fit a guy in makes me wary off the bat.
    oh definitely. But thats the idea when you take someone #1 (i would hope).
    but it's either or... You either try to change the guy who runs your offense on the field to fit your scheme (like most QBs end up doing) or conversely you change your scheme to best suit the guy who'll executing it, such as instances where the individuals talents are quite particular or radically different (Tebows, Newtons, etc). Both makes sense in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Pats have shown they are not at all afraid to go off the board to get guys they like and feel fit the scheme. I do have Watt going lower than most mocks that is for sure.

I'm banking on Detroit finally grabbing a brain and drafting an o-lineman. They along with Houston are poster boys for drafting the franchise QB and then letting them get killed for years while they dither on the o-line. I like Prince and do have him lower than most mocks but Detroit is stupid if ignore OT once again.

I'm not sure what you mean buy your last comment, does that not mean he is useless? If so I disagree.
    there is nobody to get him the ball

1 - Carolina: A.J. Green
    2 - Denver: Marcel Dareus
    3 - Buffalo: Von Miller
    4 - Cincinnatti: Cam Newton
    5 - St. Louis: Julio Jones (Rams trade up to get their WR)
    6 - Houston: Patrick Peterson (Texans trade up when Peterson falls to 6)
    7 - San Francisco: Robert Quinn
    8 - Tennessee: Blaine Gabbert
    9 - Dallas: Tyron Smith
    10 - Washington - Aldon Smith
    11 - Cleveland - Nick Fairely
    12 - Minnesota - Anthony Castonzo
    13 - Detroit - Gabe Carimi
    14 - Arizona - Da'Quan Bowers
    15 - San Diego - Cameron Jordan (Chargers trade up to get Jordan)
    16 - Jacksonville - Prince Amukamara
    17 - New England - Muhammed Wilkerson
    18 - Indianapolis - Mike Pouncey (Colts trade up to get ahead of KC and NYG)
    19 - New York Giants - Nate Solder
    20 - Tampa Bay - Corey Liuget
    21 - Kansas City - Akeem Ayers
    22 - Miami - J.J. Watt
    23 - Philadelphia - Ryan Kerrigan
    24 - New Orleans - Marvin Austin
    25 - Seattle - Jake Locker
    26 - Baltimore Ravens - Cameron Heyward
    27 - Atlanta - Adrian Clayborn
    28 - New England - Justin Houston
    29 - Chicago - Derrick Sherrod
    30 - Arizona - Christian Ponder (Cardinals trade up to get a QB)
    31 - Pittsburgh - Phil Taylor
    32 - Green Bay - Aaron Williams

New York Jets: (Jets draft picks adjusted due to trade down with Arizona)

2 (37) - Christian Ballard - DE - Iowa
    3 (78) - Quinton Carter - S - Oklahoma
    3 (94) - Chris Carter - OLB - Fresno State
    4 (125) - Sione Fua - DT - Stanford
    5 (158) - Jah Reid - OT - UCF
    7 (197) - Aldrick Robinson - SMU
    I would rather have Neild over Fua.. I love the tradeout to get xtra pick but i dont like the 1st pick. I would rather have someone like lawrence Guy 6'5 305 lbs!! in the 3rd.. He fits the 34 DE better..imo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    there is nobody to get him the ball
    I don't think Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson had top notch QB's when they were 1st drafted. Despite popular belief you can build other areas of your team before getting the qb. As a matter of fact I think it is preferable to build up other areas of the team then add the QB if possible.

All League
    I don't think Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson had top notch QB's when they were 1st drafted. Despite popular belief you can build other areas of your team before getting the qb. As a matter of fact I think it is preferable to build up other areas of the team then add the QB if possible.
    Agreed. See Jets 2008 & 2009.

I too like the trade out Pescado de Cerveza (Beerfish). While passing on Phil Taylor stings a bit (let alone Pitt snatching him up) picking up #78 in the 3rd round is KEY. We can add some young depth that our coaching staff WILL coach up into productive players.

All League

Cowboys to draft Mike Pouncey?

This might throw a wrench into the latest Mock Projections. Jerry Jones is crazy enough to draft a Center/Guard in the top 10, but why not trade down a few slots and acquire some more picks?

Cowboys to draft Mike Pouncey?

Florida center Mike Pouncey visited the Dallas Cowboys' Valley Ranch facility Wednesday and tweeted that he expects to wear the silver and blue next season.

"Headed back to Pittsburgh ... would be shocked if i wasn't in a dallas uniform nxt year! The draft is april 28th so we will see ... To all the steelers fans i would love to be playing for the steelers and if i had a choice i would but it isnt my choice," Pouncey posted on his Twitter account Wednesday.

Pouncey's twin brother Maurkice, also a center, was drafted by the Steelers in the first round of the 2010 draft.

The Cowboys have been projected in several mock drafts to take either USC tackle Tyron Smith or Nebraska cornerback Prince Amukamara, but two recent mock drafts conducted by ESPN's Todd McShay and Mel Kiper, respectively, have the Cowboys taking Smith.

However, McShay has Pouncey going to the Miami Dolphins at No. 15 while Kiper has him going to the New York Giants at No. 19.

It would be interesting if the Cowboys do pick a center/guard over a tackle. Despite going to the Pro Bowl last season, center Andre Gurode has knee issues that concern the organization, and left guard Kyle Kosier is a free agent. While Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett would like to bring Kosier back, his age -- he turns 33 in November -- could be cause for concern. Pouncey would certainly allow Dallas to get younger at the center position.

Meanwhile, Leonard Davis is the other guard, and while he didn't have his best season, it seems likely he would return in 2011.

Good article Gas2, some of the long standing taboos of who to draft when have been blown up the last number of years making it possible for some positions to be drafted higher than ever before. Jets taking Mangold in the 1st, going up to get Revis, Pouncey to Pitt last year, the big money deal to Hutchinson a few yeas ago.

Teams are realizing that if you can get the best at a position in a draft, a guy that will probably start from day one and be a long term solution that is good value for a 1st round pick, even if it is not one of the glory positions.