Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DE to OLB Converts

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ayers at times looked like athletic stud but didn't play like that enough. Skill set to be good 3-4 pass rusher but competitive red flags.

Carter #1. He can also play 4-3 DE, "wide 9" or open side of offensive formation. Houston power/leverage rusher w/erratic competitiveness.

Athleticism defined many ways. Straight line movement down list of critical attributes. Football change of direction gme. Lateral explosion.

Moch a straight line speed athlete with little flexibility + change of direction. A major projection. Will be overdrafted due to 40 time.

Reed overdrafted due to large # of 3-4 teams. After Miller + Ayers, no 3-4 OLBs. Reed hustle, effort, energy. Not as athletic as you'd like.

Iowa Sash limited athletically. Change of direction + lateral agility concerns. At his best playing downhill. Tough. Scheme specific in NFL.

Carter smooth + fluid w/good movement. Did not consistently play to his athleticism. Physical skill set to play both in the box + deep.

Black similarities to Bob Sanders re: competitiveness, passion, toughness. Not as big or fast, but Black's field fast. Excellent tackler.

Fresno St. DE Carter intriguing. Viewed as OLB in 3-4. I believe he can play DE, in "wide 9" position outside OT. Can bend + close

https://twitter.com/#!/gregcosell

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Suggs is 100% a defensive end, he really cant be classified as an OLB.

Dumerville too has strictly been a 4-3 DE, im pretty sure the only year denver ran a 3-4 was this season, and he was out the whole year.
    Dumerville's best season was when they ran a 3-4 in the 2009-2010 season, when I am pretty sure he lead the league in sacks or was very close to leading the league.
    Last edited by TheMo; 04-24-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    Guys who don't like Ayers haven't seen to many bruin games ... They complain he ain't a pass rusher ... But he is and a very good one at that.. I hope he's there when we pick at 30... Name me a player in this draft that can cover and blitz at the OlB spot and come in right away and start... that includes Von Miller (he scares me real light in the pants )... I would run at him all day..
    this is a solid post, altho there's no need to bash Von Miller it could very well be akeem ayers. I don't think they expect him to be there or Pass on him if he makes it down. I started off very cold on this player but the more film and research the more likely it seems. Ayers is like a DE conversion that already converted. He's less risky than the other DE's in this round 1/2 convo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Suggs is 100% a defensive end, he really cant be classified as an OLB.

Dumerville too has strictly been a 4-3 DE, im pretty sure the only year denver ran a 3-4 was this season, and he was out the whole year.
    He wishes...Remember there was a whole big thing over him because the Ravens tried to tag him as an OLB...he's a true 3-4 DE/OLB and right there with Ware as a do-it-all guy. I've seen Suggs put on slot WRs....great player and athlete...ran in the 4.8s at the combine.