Thread: New Story: Analyzing the great head coaching debate

New Story: Analyzing the great head coaching debate

[B]FLORHAM PARK, NJ[/B] -- A recent article on [B]ESPN debated the top 10 NFL head coaches[/B] , and the Jets' Rex Ryan cracked the list at number seven. Not a bad feat considering the state of the Jets recent head coaches (see Mangini, Eric; Edwards, Herman; Groh, Al). However, his New York counter-part was ranked slightly higher at the number six spot. By now we've all seen or heard about this article, but after some careful deliberation about the possible slight by the ESPN writers I can't help but disagree with them.

The NFL, more than ever, is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league...

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/wesley_sykes/?p=757]More...[/url]

[QUOTE]1. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
    2. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
    3. Andy Reid, Philadelphia Eagles
    4. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
    5. Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
    6. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants
    7. Rex Ryan, New York Jets
    8. Lovie Smith, Chicago Bears
    9. Mike Smith, Atlanta Falcons
    10. M. Shanahan, Washington Redskins
    10. John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/27641/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-head-coaches"]Power Rankings: Top 10 NFL Coaches[/URL]

Am I missing something here? 9-7 + 11-5= 20-12 regular season record ....

NOT

[QUOTE]The obvious slight against Ryan is his unimpressive regular season record (18-14 over two seasons),[/QUOTE]

How is it that Mike Tomlin gets the number 2 spot? This guy inherited a SB team. They were already loaded with talent and had already won a SB when Tomlin took over. He doesn't handle drafting or any GM responsibility.

Now I'm not saying he isn't a very good HC, but he didn't build anything, he merely inherited it. I don't believe the guy belongs at number 2 for those reasons. I could see top ten certainly, but he wasn't the one that pushed his team over the top.