Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Vlad - Starting RT

Big Vlad - Starting RT

[I]ESPN New York confirms that the Jets plan to move Vladimir Ducasse into the starting lineup at right tackle.
    The coaching staff is taking quite the leap of faith in having Ducasse replace Damien Woody. The former UMass star is learning a new position after struggling to pick up the playbook as a rookie. Ducasse has plenty of ability, but the Jets will want to re-sign swing tackle Wayne Hunter as insurance.[/I]

I sincerely hope this is wrong as I think it is completely insane.

While Vlad has a ton of athletic ability, he was a complete disaster last year and would be moving to yet another new position.

Our offensive line has been the teams best strength as has literally carried the offense the past 2 seasons. Replacing someone like woody or even hunter who played well (despite his mental lapse vs the steelers) with an unproven, inexperienced player like Vlad is way to risky IMO.

Protecting sanchez is priority 1...if he goes down, i dont care if our defense is the 85 Bears reincarnated, we will be looking at a top 10 pick in 2012.

they drafted him to start him.

Jets Insider VIP
    who should I trust on this issue??

Bill Callahan, one of the greatest OL coaches ever

or

Eaglenj, one of the gloomiest gloom and doomers at JI ever

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3996466][I]ESPN New York confirms that the Jets plan to move Vladimir Ducasse into the starting lineup at right tackle.
    The coaching staff is taking quite the leap of faith in having Ducasse replace Damien Woody. The former UMass star is learning a new position after struggling to pick up the playbook as a rookie. Ducasse has plenty of ability, but the Jets will want to re-sign swing tackle Wayne Hunter as insurance.[/I]

While Vlad has a ton of athletic ability, he was a complete disaster last year and would be moving to yet another new position.

Our offensive line has been the teams best strength as has literally carried the offense the past 2 seasons. Replacing someone like woody or even hunter who played well (despite his mental lapse vs the steelers) with an unproven, inexperienced player like Vlad is way to risky IMO.

Protecting sanchez is priority 1...if he goes down, i dont care if our defense is the 85 Bears reincarnated, we will be looking at a top 10 pick in 2012.[/QUOTE]

The Jets know this better than anyone...Vlad will have to prove he can do it before they give him the starting job.

you would thnk they were preparing him all last year to play right tackle

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3996466][I]ESPN New York confirms that the Jets plan to move Vladimir Ducasse into the starting lineup at right tackle.

Protecting sanchez is priority 1...if he goes down, i dont care if our defense is the 85 Bears reincarnated, we will be looking at a top 10 pick in 2012.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...This sounds like what was posted last year when they cut Faneca and people said Slauson wasn't capable.

the damien woody injury pretty much forced their hand on this one. Achilles rupture at that stage of his career... that's the fat lady singing for Woody.

Wayne Hunter is gonna get starter money somewhere else. They have way bigger priorities than Hunter (Holmes, Edwards, Cro)

even if they could... they aren't gonna sign Hunter cause that means Vlad was a bust.

They have to start Vlad and see what happens.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3996507]the damien woody injury pretty much forced their hand on this one. Achilles rupture at that stage of his career... that's the fat lady singing for Woody.

Wayne Hunter is gonna get starter money somewhere else. They have way bigger priorities than Hunter (Holmes, Edwards, Cro)

even if they could... they aren't gonna sign Hunter cause that means Vlad was a bust.

They have to start Vlad and see what happens.[/QUOTE]
    I have no problem letting Woody go. His age, recent injury and inconsistent pass protection are good enough reasons. But letting Hunter go is a mistake. Not having a quality swing tackle can be a huge disaster (especially when you consider the kind of unknown Vlad is). If resigning Hunter means not being able to keep both Holmes and Edwards - I would do it.
    O-line depth is just too important.

[QUOTE=sg3;3996478]who should I trust on this issue??

or

Eaglenj, one of the gloomiest gloom and doomers at JI ever[/QUOTE]

SG3 I just want to be completely clear on something - GFY!!!!

I couldnt be further from a gloom and doomer about the team or any of our players.

I happen to disagree strongly with you and your butt buddy SAR about PSLs, tailgating, and most importantly with your "facts" that the stadium is sold out even though anyone in the world can buy tickets right now in any section.

If you want to debate those topics feel free, go into one of the many threads on the topic and continue to post your crap.

This thread was about whether a young inexperienced player is ready to step in to a big role on the team next season and what other posters opinions about that is. If you have something to add on that topic go ahead, if not see my original statement above.

Jets Insider VIP
    actually you disagree with me about the stadium, tailgating, PSLs, coaches, players and everything else about the Jets

you pretty much hate all of it and I don't

He is a second round pick not a 6th rounder who happened to make the team. I wouldv'e been shocked if they didn't want to start him. They will sign some insurance and hope they can salvage something from that draft. Kyle wilson = BUST.

[QUOTE=sg3;3996478]who should I trust on this issue??

or

Eaglenj, one of the gloomiest gloom and doomers at JI ever[/QUOTE]

This post wins!

[QUOTE=sg3;3996538]actually you disagree with me about the stadium, tailgating, PSLs, coaches, players and everything else about the Jets

you pretty much hate all of it and I don't[/QUOTE]

Where is my hate of the team or players and especially the coach?

Pretty much my hate is just towards you.

In Callahan we trust.

This nonsense sounds like a replay of last year's Faneca/Slauson brouhaha. How right were the doomsayers then?

[QUOTE=bitonti;3996507]the damien woody injury pretty much forced their hand on this one. Achilles rupture at that stage of his career... that's the fat lady singing for Woody.

They have to start Vlad and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with woody being let go, the injury was really bad timing and is a huge problem for someone his size/age.

What im worried about is not having Hunter as insurance.

I know Vlad was a 2nd rounder and drafted to be an eventual starter (2012 would not be terrible) I just dont see where he has gotten enough reps at RT to come in and start at that position.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3996570]I have no problem with woody being let go, the injury was really bad timing and is a huge problem for someone his size/age.

What im worried about is not having Hunter as insurance.

I know Vlad was a 2nd rounder and drafted to be an eventual starter (2012 would not be terrible) [B]I just dont see where he has gotten enough reps at RT to come in and start at that position[/B].[/QUOTE]

Who knows...We aren't at practice everyday...Just like with Slauson the year before.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3996573]Who knows...We aren't at practice everyday...Just like with Slauson the year before.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, maybe the coaches see something we dont and I hope they do.

The difference with the slauson situation was that he wasnt learning a new position, and came from being a 3 year starter at a big time college program where callahan was his coach.

Vlad was a starter at a different position in college, spent last year learning G and RT and had a greater learning curve coming from UMASS then Slauson did from Nebraska.

I thought since day one that he was much more suited to tackle than guard. I also wouldn't count out Hunter. Every team has their 'Hunter' a guy that fills in and the o-line coach will think can start. I'd be surprised if he left to become a starter elsewhere.

All League
    Callahan knows what he's doing. We replaced Faneca with Slauson and now
    we'll replace Woody with Ducasse. Just because Ducasse struggled in
    "pre-season" games doesn't mean he isn't ready to start now

[QUOTE=bitonti;3996468]they drafted him to start him.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Also,with a right handed Qb, right tackle is the least important position on the line.