Thread: Brad Smith done in NY ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame

Brad Smith done in NY ? ? ?

> [url]http://www.thejetsblog.com/2011/04/07/brad-smith-done-in-ny/[/url]

meh.

he's a great ST player and kick returner, but the new K.O. rules will take away from his value. McKnight, Cromartie, Wilson can all contribute towards replacing him in the return game.

he's really not much of a threat as a WR, and while he has been effective in the Wildcat, it also tends to throw our offense out of synch (though Schitty is mostly to blame for that).

we have many other needs this offseason that are more pressing than keeping Brad Smith.

I'd say that Brad is done here, but with the rule changes I am not so sure that he is going to find that he is more valuable elsewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kcb160;3996588]I'd say that Brad is done here, but with the rule changes I am not so sure that he is going to find that he is more valuable elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

bingo!

Veteran
    Brad Smith has made some plays for us, but not worth a big contract. Westhoff is more about the return game than the actual returner. Everyone who played the return game did well, see Leon W and Justin Miller. Cromartie did well with his chance, seems to me it's more scheme. As far as the wilcat, I think LT has more pass attempts than Smith, definately more TDs passing.

Put Brad Smith at safety.

[QUOTE=CraigFL;3996654]Brad Smith has made some plays for us, but not worth a big contract. Westhoff is more about the return game than the actual returner. Everyone who played the return game did well, see Leon W and Justin Miller. Cromartie did well with his chance, seems to me it's more scheme. As far as the wilcat, I think LT has more pass attempts than Smith, definately more TDs passing.[/QUOTE]

+1

Smith is expendable and way overrated by some Jets fans. LT can run the wildcat and get the same or better results. Jets have way bigger priorities.

Done here?

Yes.

Why?

Too expensive for the value.

you guys are nuts.

Yeah he is not worth the $$ until he signs in NE or Mia which he will, you'll see,

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;3996698]Put Brad Smith at safety.[/QUOTE]
    naahh ,
    NT ;)

the problem with brad smith has been well stated. the bottom line is the bottom line and he will probably not be a jet this season.

I would really love it if the Jets could find a way to keep Brad Smith. Unfortunately, that's not even a realistic scenario.

We've been through so many times now. Mike Tannenbaum drafts a good athlete that can also play special teams. Mike Westoff takes the kid under his wing and makes him a tremendous contributor on special teams. So we finally figure we'll have a guy that will be playing ST for a long time for the team, right? Wrong.

The minute the guys initial contract runs out, he's a very hot commodity on the FA market. Inevidably, some teams vastly overpays for the guy and basically precluding the Jets from having any chance at resigning him.The Jets are forced to let him move on.

The kid now loves his new, very valuable contract and tries his hardest in his new city, but never regains the kinds of athletic feats he did in NY. The kid ends up getting cut by the signing team before playing out his entire contract.

This is the same thing over and over again for the Jets. Maybe, just maybe, the Jets consider this par for the course at this point with ST players.