Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: Prospect Smackdown: Akeem Ayers vs. Brooks Reed vs. Justin Houston vs. Ryan Kerrigan

  1. #61
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing i think you two have establish in all this insightful dribble, is that neither are top tier, and both will have a certain "wait and see" dynamic to their game at the NFL level.
    Both are promising, and the gap is small. Go with the program in those cases i say.

    Either way - Heyward, Wilkerson and Smith would be preferrable choices.

  2. #62
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Either way - Heyward, Wilkerson and Smith would be preferrable choices.
    agree on Heyward and Smith. But I live in Philly, I see alot of Temple, and I don't understand why Wilkerson is considered such a great prospect. the level of competition he plays well against is scary. Yes he has alot of sacks but against garbagey teams. His game against Penn st was ok not great.

    I don't see why he's on a higher tier than Reed/Ayers. but as a side note Wilkerson and Ayers have similar 3 cone drills. And MO is only 40 pounds heavier lol.



    ***

    Much Ado I can see the comparison to Dansby, Thomas and Scott. Unfortunately Dansby was a high 2nd rounder, Thomas was a 6th rounder and Scott went undrafted. I don't have a problem with Ayers' game I have a problem with his draft value.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-12-2011 at 04:30 PM.

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Ya i saw your remark in the other thread, I guess that's a valid point. Maybe Taylor presents a better choice over Wilkerson.

    Could be smoke, but alot of teams seem to be high Wilk so that tells me there's something in his measurables and tape that suggest to teams they think he can perform against better competition.

    It's quickly becoming a Jordan/Kerrigan trade up, or pray Heyward/Smith lasts scenario for me.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-12-2011 at 04:42 PM.

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    agree on Heyward and Smith. But I live in Philly, I see alot of Temple, and I don't understand why Wilkerson is considered such a great prospect. the level of competition he plays well against is scary. Yes he has alot of sacks but against garbagey teams. His game against Penn st was ok not great.

    I don't see why he's on a higher tier than Reed/Ayers. but as a side note Wilkerson and Ayers have similar 3 cone drills. And MO is only 40 pounds heavier lol.



    ***

    Much Ado I can see the comparison to Dansby, Thomas and Scott. Unfortunately Dansby was a high 2nd rounder, Thomas was a 6th rounder and Scott went undrafted. I don't have a problem with Ayers' game I have a problem with his draft value.
    Only thing I disagree with in this post is that I don't think Wilkerson and Ayers are on the same tier as Reed. They would be higher. Wilkerson based purely on size and upside and Ayers for his skill and upside.

    OTOH I can KIIIIIIIINDA see what you mean about Wilkerson and I think he's also been a potential smokescreen type guy.

  5. #65
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    It's quickly becoming a Jordan/Kerrigan trade up, or pray Heyward/Smith lasts scenario for me.
    we've dissected it to death but honestly if the Jets took Ayers or Reed i'd be happy with either. I expect this 30 pick to be a good player not a star player.

  6. #66
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,826
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    we've dissected it to death but honestly if the Jets took Ayers or Reed i'd be happy with either. I expect this 30 pick to be a good player not a star player.
    i think this sums it up nicely, and jet fans should be happy this draft class is deep in positions that are of dire need to the jets. not only can the jets get a solid front 7 player at the end of the first round, they can probably get a solid one in the 3rd as well.

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    we've dissected it to death but honestly if the Jets took Ayers or Reed i'd be happy with either. I expect this 30 pick to be a good player not a star player.
    Nothing wrong with that, but part of me screams "Let's not see what happens, let's make something happen"

    It's a tall order to visit the AFCCG for 3rd time. This team's gotta be ready to ball out. I'd really like it if we got a great player today, over a good player for tomorrow.

  8. #68
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    It's quickly becoming a Jordan/Kerrigan trade up, or pray Heyward/Smith lasts scenario for me.
    Nothing to trade to get up that high

  9. #69
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Nothing to trade to get up that high
    next year's first. It's a buyer beware draft in 2012, but I doubt anyone thinks it's in serious jeopardy. Money makes the world go round.

  10. #70
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsully View Post
    first.. I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread and really taking in what everyone is saying..

    Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading, it seems like Ayers is better suited for a defense like the Pats, lber's are asked to play in space a lot, and Reed is more suited for the Jets, rush the passer and make plays..
    So maybe both will be good but only in certain styles of defense
    This is just my suggestion/theory


    On to a fact
    I went to a predraft party up here in New England last year and the assistant GM, FLOYD REESE, kind of scoffed at 40 times. He basically said at the combine/proday will be the fastest the player will ever run in his professional career.. And the 40 time doesn't hold as much weight as some might think
    Floyd Reese was an outstanding GM- truly a guy that got value throughout the draft....nice man as well....

  11. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, Mike Lombardi speaking about Brooks Reed, on Path to the Draft, 12 April 2011: "He's probably gonna be better as a pro than somebody picked in the top ten."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us