Thread: How realistic is it, that the lockout could be the end of the draft?

Hall Of Fame

How realistic is it, that the lockout could be the end of the draft?

From what I've been hearing, the notion that the Brady-antitrust lawsuit could spell the end of the draft as we know it, seems to be picking up steam. Just how realistic is this scenario?

What would become of the parity amongst the league if the least successful teams are not given an opportunity to catch up to the more successful ones?

Any thoughts?

[QUOTE=freestater;3997214]From what I've been hearing, the notion that the Brady-antitrust lawsuit could spell the end of the draft as we know it, seems to be picking up steam. Just how realistic is this scenario?

What would become of the parity amongst the league if the least successful teams are not given an opportunity to catch up to the more successful ones?

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

A two division Confrence of 5 or 6 teams each would be fine.

Not very likely. It's really just there as an additional threat by the players. That said, if the players ever decided to really fight to eliminate the draft, I can't see how they wouldn't be successful.

Even if the draft does eventually go away, as long as there is a salary cap there will be parity. Keep in mind that rookies are wild cards anyway. Most importantly, players are going to go for the money first and winning second. Quarterbacks are the key to a franchises success, but you can't have more than 1 on a team. If there were no draft when Andrew Luck comes out next year, you think he's going to sign with the Colts, or the Patriots, or the Steelers? Of course not, he wants to play, and no team that already has a QB they're happy with is going to shell out starting QB money for 2 guys. You just can't do it as long as there is still a salary cap. He'd wind up on the Vikings, Dolphins, 49ers, or some other decent team that just needs a QB.

That would be terrible. I would consider not watching football anymore. Everybody in the NFL has gone insane.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3997256]A two division Confrence of 5 or 6 teams each would be fine.[/QUOTE]

and what if as a result of your suggestion they merge the Giants and Jets?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3997295]and what if as a result of your suggestion they merge the Giants and Jets?[/QUOTE]

The Gets! Kinda sticks on you?

;)

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3997295]and what if as a result of your suggestion they merge the Giants and Jets?[/QUOTE]

Keep the T and the S from Jets and the I and the T from the Giants.

I'll believe it when i see it....even these two sides full of idiots dont have the balls to kill a $9B golden goose.....get back to me in late July with no deal and I'll start to worry

Would they merge our PSLS?

All League
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3997626]Keep the T and the S from Jets and the I and the T from the Giants.[/QUOTE]

I like, I like alot! :D