Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santonio talking a different tune- PFT

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Santonio talking a different tune- PFT

Santonio now says he’ll take a wait-and-see approach with the Jets
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT

APLast month, free-agent receiver Santonio Holmes let it be known that he plans to sign a new deal with the Jets. This month, he’s singing a slightly different tune.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Holmes says he’s taking a “wait-and-see approach” to his future with the team. Holmes also said he won’t sign a restricted free agency tender, if the 2010 rules end up being applied again in 2011. Instead, he wants a multi-year deal.

Holmes also said that he’ll be skipping workouts that quarterback Mark Sanchez has scheduled for California in May, due to “family/personal” reasons.

Holmes was traded to the Jets last April after incurring a four-game suspension for violation of the substance-abuse policy. He possibly will be an unrestricted free agent, if the ultimate rules for 2011 place the threshold at five or fewer years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    could be true

could be floriospeak bs

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it'll change again when the CBA gets done.

He has to say that to get a better contract. Saying "I'm returning" won't get him the big Benjamins.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    as the saying goes, talk is cheap. there's no cba yet and the players are locked out. even if he wanted to sign he couldn't. we'll see once things get straightened out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Jets"]#Jets[/URL] LaDainian Tomlinson tells me he'll be heading out to Southern Calif. for @[URL="http://twitter.com/Mark_Sanchez"]Mark_Sanchez[/URL]'s workout camp in 1st week in May.

[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Jets"]#Jets[/URL] Santonio Holmes clarified he was upset after AFC Championship Gm loss to Steelers because he didn't start.

[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Jets"]#Jets[/URL] Santonio Holmes would make around $3.5M as RFA if 2010 rules are in place (1st +3rd tender). Says he wants multi-yr deal.

[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Jets"]#Jets[/URL] Santonio Holmes says he won't be participating in @[URL="http://twitter.com/Mark_Sanchez"]Mark_Sanchez[/URL]'s workout sessions in May in CA due to family/personal reasons.

[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Jets"]#Jets[/URL] Santonio Holmes is taking a wait-and-see approach about his future with [URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23nyj"]#nyj[/URL] ...

[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Jets"]#Jets[/URL] Santonio Holmes says he wants to sign deal for "multiple years" in offseason. [U]

[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/TheJetsStream"]http://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream[/URL]

[/U]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm.
    from thejetsblog.com

"I won't sign my RFA tender. I played five years to wait for my contract to come up in my sixth year. I don’t want to play anywhere for one year. If I sign a contract, it’s going to be for multiple years. A business move was made to send me to New York in the last year of my deal in Pittsburgh."

Santonio Holmes

Rich Cimini reports that Holmes later said that he is non-commital on whether he wants to re-sign with the Jets. Holmes went on to say that he will sign the best offer if he is a UFA and that he was angry at the Jets coaching staff because he didn’t start against his former team in the AFC title game. Furthermore, Jets QB Mark Sanchez is holding a camp in LA for his offense next month and Holmes has declined the invitation stating that he has “family reasons.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3997341]

[URL="http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Jets"]#Jets[/URL] Santonio Holmes clarified he was upset after AFC Championship Gm loss to Steelers because he didn't start.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot, Schitty for pissing off Holmes.

Seriously, though...you can't NOT have one of your BEST players(if not *the* best on offense) out there from the start and expect to win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;3997467]Thanks a lot, Schitty for pissing off Holmes.

Seriously, though...you can't NOT have one of your BEST players(if not *the* best on offense) out there from the start and expect to win.[/QUOTE] REALLY?:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but to make a HUGE GRIPE about not starting in a football game - where players are subbed in one play to the next according to the package/play called in the possible time span of a minute - is ABSOLUTELY [B]petulant[/B]. It would hold more weight to be upset in a sport like baseball or soccer where subs are one & done and permanent for the game. Even basketball where you have to wait for the next whistle to blow, but FOOTBALL?!?!?!?:huh: where you can have a 1 yard draw and then sub in the entire the 12 man squad in the next play if the coach desired so.

If Holmes is trying to build leverage this way, it's a WEAK at best and the WRONG approach to take - by berating the coaching staff. Who ever is his agent should advise him to shut up. To hold beef that you didn't "start" a football game in the NFL is just a b!tch approach. I'm sure by that theory you can say the Pats lost to the Jets b/c Welker wasn't in the first snap for the playoff game. C'MON!?!!!:rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3997510]REALLY?:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but to make a HUGE GRIPE about not starting in a football game - where players are subbed in one play to the next according to the package/play called in the possible time span of a minute - is ABSOLUTELY [B]petulant[/B]. It would hold more weight to be upset in a sport like baseball or soccer where subs are one & done and permanent for the game. Even basketball where you have to wait for the next whistle to blow, but FOOTBALL?!?!?!?:huh: where you can have a 1 yard draw and then sub in the entire the 12 man squad in the next play if the coach desired so.

If Holmes is trying to build leverage this way, it's a WEAK at best and the WRONG approach to take - by berating the coaching staff. Who ever is his agent should advise him to shut up. To hold beef that you didn't "start" a football game in the NFL is just a b!tch approach. I'm sure by that theory you can say the Pats lost to the Jets b/c Welker wasn't in the first snap for the playoff game. C'MON!?!!!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

me vs we

team player? I think not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    and yet another reason i would sign Edwards first

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said it from day one, great talent, pos! Never a team guy, always about himself.
    WR's are a dime a dozen, move on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;3997541]I said it from day one, great talent, pos! Never a team guy, always about himself.
    WR's are a dime a dozen, move on.[/QUOTE]

The majority of everyone in the NFL is about themselves it's a business.. Even the Sainted Cumar turned his back on the team that drafted him and had a poison pill in his contract so he could be with his Tuna Daddy..:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3997544]The majority of everyone in the NFL is about themselves it's a business.. Even the Sainted Cumar turned his back on the team that drafted him and had a poison pill in his contract so he could be with his Tuna Daddy..:yes:[/QUOTE]

different levels of selfishness

dont recall CuMar doing first down dances down 38-0 to their hated rival

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AnthonySerp;3997546]different levels of selfishness

dont recall CuMar doing first down dances down 38-0 to their hated rival[/QUOTE]

I was talking business what does dancing have to do with that?? :confused: How is doing a dance selfish?? Not a good sport OK but selfish??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3997547]I was talking business what does dancing have to do with that?? :confused: How is doing a dance selfish?? Not a good sport OK but selfish??[/QUOTE]

self exposure when your team is getting its ass handed to it is selfish in my book, bad sport in my eyes would be doing the first down dance when your up 38-0

crying about not starting in an afc championship game is selfish

business wise 99% of all athletes are selfish, but i can blame them for that
    Last edited by AnthonySerp; 04-10-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AnthonySerp;3997557]self exposure when your team is getting its ass handed to it is selfish in my book, bad sport in my eyes would be doing the first down dance when your up 38-0[/QUOTE]

Ok then wanting all the carries to pad your stats when your team is having a losing season would be selfish as well.. As would playing hurt when your too hurt to even practice when a healthy player is available would also be selfish..:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    sign Edwards first then ... if this Celine Dion wants to play with the Jets sign him too ... until then sign the guys that have been team players (cro, edwards)

also .. work a multi-year deal for Harris to sign.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3997558]Ok then wanting all the carries to pad your stats when your team is having a losing season would be selfish as well.. As would playing hurt when your too hurt to even practice when a healthy player is available would also be selfish..:yes:[/QUOTE]

if true yes, but then again i dont think the Jets are looking to resign CuMar, Santonio on the other hand they are

and lets say i agree with you about CuMar ( i dont, but i do see your side alot better than most) Holmes carries out his act in a much douch-ier way

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AnthonySerp;3997563]if true yes, but then again i dont think the Jets are looking to resign CuMar, Santonio on the other hand they are

and lets say i agree with you about CuMar ( i dont, but i do see your side alot better than most) Holmes carries out his act in a much douch-ier way[/QUOTE]

As far as being a good person Santonio isn't even on the same planet as Martin.. He does have a Mark Gastineau attitude as a player.. But he does have talent and comes up Big when needed.. Not all players are likeable or boy scouts..;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AnthonySerp;3997539]and yet another reason i would sign Edwards first[/QUOTE]

Remember Edwards was pissed at Schotty after the '10 AFCGC vs Indy...Schotty then met up with Edwards a few times in the offseason to clear the air and get to know each other better...But I would also rather sign Edwards.

[I]But Cleveland left Edwards guarded. He admitted initial hesitation in developing a relationship with the offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer. Too many previous coaches, he said, too many broken relationships.[/I]

[I]Schottenheimer allowed the relationship to grow slowly. At least until Edwards criticized the play-calling after the Jets lost to Indianapolis in the A.F.C. championship game (Edwards said he was misunderstood).[/I]

[I]Regardless, Schottenheimer said “the comments, quite honestly, blindsided me.” Rather than fire back, Schottenheimer requested a meeting and told Edwards he wanted to improve their rapport. The two had lunch several times this spring, and recently, Schottenheimer said Edwards “came to me” and “said he never had this type of relationship with a coordinator before.”[/I]

[I]This spring, Edwards learned both outside receiver positions. He drew Coach Rex Ryan’s attention when he repeatedly beat the All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis during minicamp practices.[/I]

[url]http://dustinkeller81.com/2010/08/10/braylon-edwards-feels-more-comfortable-playing-with-jets/[/url]