Thread: Rex raving about Randy Moss- PFT

Jets Insider VIP

Rex raving about Randy Moss- PFT

rRex Ryan raves about Randy Moss
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT

Itís been nearly three weeks since the league meetings in New Orleans. But intriguing tidbits from Jets coach Rex Ryan continue to emerge.

Last night, we posted on Tim Grahamís recent item regarding Ryanís Louisiana lamentations on Vernon Gholston. Now, Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe explains that Ryan also spoke positively about receiver Randy Moss, whoíll be a free agent whenever free agency begins.

ďRandy Moss, Iíve said all along, is a great vertical receiver,íí Ryan said, per Bedard. ďAnd you have to roll coverage. Most teams would have to roll coverage to him. We never did, but we got burned for a touchdown. But he was a weapon. A vertical weapon down the field.íí

Actually, Ryanís team was burned twice in 2010. With the Patriots, Moss made a great one-handed catch in single coverage from Darrelle Revis (who tweaked a hamstring on the play). Then, after Moss was traded by the Patriots to the Vikings, Moss got behind Antonio Cromartie (who otherwise handled Moss fairly well in single coverage) for a touchdown, the 500th of Brett Favreís career.

For those of you wondering whether Ryan engaged in tampering by mentioning a player under contract with another team, Ryan added that he checked with team spokesman Bruce Speight to make sure that Ryan could say what he said.

Itís probably not tampering, given that the contract between Moss and the Titans had expired when Ryan said what he said, and the Titans have done nothing to hold onto his rights. Still, if Ryan deliberately checked with Speight about Moss before saying what Ryan said, it looks like Ryan possibly was trying to send Moss a message.

Moss previously had expressed interest in playing for the Jets, when former Marshall teammate Chad Pennington was the starting quarterback. When Moss was last a free agent in 2008, the Jets did not jump into the bidding. Since then, however, the Jets have shown a greater willingness to pursue big-name veteran players, and Moss could fill a void if either or both of the big-name receivers for whom the Jets traded in 2009 and 2010 donít return.

And Ryan surely thinks he can press all the right buttons on Randy Moss, getting the most out of him without Moss becoming a pain in the butt, like he last year was in Minnesota and, to a lesser extent, in New England.

Sure man. What are you having for dinner?

I just do not believe there's a spot for Randy Moss on the Jets roster. The Jets have the right idea in wanting to resign Edwards and Holmes. Both of those guys are complete players - something Moss isn't. Moss takes plays off. He pulls up when he knows he's going to get popped by the safety. He doesn't block incredibly well on running plays. He's a locker room cancer due to his non-stop mouth. He alienates players and coaches alike. Meanwhile, Edwards and Holmes do all of the less glory filled tasks of a WR and they don't ever complain. They are team players.

However, Moss is still a better vertical threat than both even at this late stage in his career. The only way I could see the Jets wanting Moss is if he would be willing to accept a lot less money than what he can get on the FA market. He'd have to agree to be depth comning off the bench. These are all things his ego is far too large for. The only good I could see coming out of this would be his motivation to want to stick it to the Patsies. He probably holds a lot of anger toward the Patsies for trading him last season. The Jets could benefit from his highly motivated play whenever they face the Patsies. Not that the Jets need Moss to beat the Patsies, they don't. But it would be a nice extra weapon to have.

Moss already said he won't sign his tender, so Moss on the cheap makes a lot of sense...

SIGN THAT BEAST!!!*

*On the cheap of course..

wondering if that was meant for Santonio's ears...

All League
    I truly hope not. :eek:

[QUOTE=frostlich;3997829]wondering if that was meant for Santonio's ears...[/QUOTE]

+1

Veteran
    Randy has done nothing but express the utmost remorse about F*&^&^% up in NE. i would be VERY surprised if he ended up anywhere but there next season, if they were willing to take him back that is.

However, i could see a situation where he signs with us to "stick it" to bill and the pats.

Even now Moss is a lot better the Edwards. If they really are considering resigning Edwards getting Moss over him is a no brainer. Moss, Holmes, and Cotch would be something to see.

[QUOTE=frostlich;3997829]wondering if that was meant for Santonio's ears...[/QUOTE]

OF COURSE IT IS...

(not that Moss isnt a GREAT player & weapon, he certainly is, but this comment might as well have been sent directly to S.Holmes agent)...

[QUOTE=Dreamers;3998045]Even now Moss is a lot better the Edwards. If they really are considering resigning Edwards getting Moss over him is a no brainer. Moss, Holmes, and Cotch would be something to see.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree, I would take Edwards over Moss. Sanchez seems very comfortable with Edwards, and it doesn't appear to me that Moss is the player he once was.

[QUOTE=Dreamers;3998045]Even now Moss is a lot better the Edwards. If they really are considering resigning Edwards getting Moss over him is a no brainer. Moss, Holmes, and Cotch would be something to see.[/QUOTE]

um, I think Edwards is one of the reasons why our running game is so good. He's an outstanding blocker as a WR. Moss won't block my little sister.

It's probably a tactic to gain leverage in contract negotiations with Holmes. Either way I wouldn't mind having Moss on the cheap for a 1 year deal but that's it. Moss and Owens usually behave themselves for about 1 season and then they get comfortable and revert to acting like turds again.

All League
    Maybe for Braylon's ears as he's the closer comp. Moss and Holmes are nothing alike.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetlifer;3998067]um, I think Edwards is one of the reasons why our running game is so good. He's an outstanding blocker as a WR. Moss won't block my little sister.[/QUOTE]

I strongly agree with you! I want Edwards as a JET. Santonio I am not overly happy with. he did drop several passes as well as catching some nice ones last year. His mouth never seems to stop! Overall I want Edwards, holmes and Cotch.

Bewildered Beast

I love it; the timing is spectacular. Rex will protect his team. :yes:

That said; Holmes is a gamer and I hope he re-ups.

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;3998058]I don't agree, I would take Edwards over Moss. Sanchez seems very comfortable with Edwards, and it doesn't appear to me that Moss is the player he once was.[/QUOTE]

Correct. And if Moss isn't getting balls thrown to him, he becomes a "slouch" and will not help the team. At least Braylon will impact the game in other ways and will still give effort and impact the game in other ways.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... Moss = T-O = OchoCinco ...

individually great talent ... team cancer ...

... don't touch with a ten foot pole ... even if BE, Holmes, & Cotch ALL are not on our roster ...

l_j_r