Thread: Santonio Holmes: Sitting me in AFC title game made “biggest difference in how we play

Hall Of Fame

Santonio Holmes: Sitting me in AFC title game made “biggest difference in how we play

Santonio Holmes: Sitting me in AFC title game made “biggest difference in how we played”
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 10, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT

Following the Jets’ AFC title game loss to the Steelers, Santonio Holmes made a pointed remark about his absence from the field early in the game:

“Ask coach Schottenheimer what happened. He’ll explain it,” Holmes fumed at the time, as described by Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.

Holmes and Schottenheimer both haven’t said a word since until Saturday, when the impending free agent receiver didn’t back down from the comments.

“I was being critical of not starting in the game,” Holmes told Cimini. “However anybody wants to take it, whoever it was taking a shot at, that’s that. I was being critical of not starting in the AFC Championship Game and I was frustrated. I was very upset that I didn’t play for 10 plays. It probably made the biggest difference in how we played.”

We’d argue that the Jets’ pathetic tackling in the first half made the biggest difference. And the Jets offense struggled to start fast throughout the season, whether Holmes was in the game or not.

It is a little odd that Holmes sat early in the game, but he wound up unofficially playing 45 of 57 snaps.

Holmes says the mini-benching won’t affect his decision regarding whether to return to the Jets, as long as he gets a long-term contract offer.

These comments may not help his case.

Banned
    Brian Schottenheimer is awesome. What a resource.

Hall Of Fame
    His comments will mean absolutely nothing in regards to the Jets wanting Holmes back. So long as Holmes can be signed long-term and so long as Holmes is willing to accept less per season, he'll be a Jet. Rex wants him back and his comments will not make an ounce of difference.

All League
    We need him next season, if there is a next season.

what a surprise, our best player calls our ****tenheimer

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gholstons Revenge View Post
    what a surprise, our best player calls our ****tenheimer
    Your name does not compute unless he really does get his "revenge".

Oh and Holmes calling out Schitty is like the Sun rising in the morning : You know both would happen eventually.

All League
    Another Sh*tty decision by Sh*tty.

Is anyone really surprised ??!!

All League
    Holmes isn't taking less money to stay with the Jets. And he shouldn't have to. Braylon may, but no way Holmes will.

Hall Of Fame
    Self serving off season comments from a wide receiver waiting on a contract deal. Shocker

Practice Squad
    "Money (Holmes) talks, B.S. walks."

You can believe that is what will happen before The Jets decide not to re-sign Holmes over his comments.

All League
    Jets fans the best fans?
    @AntTro: @santonio10 f*ck you - your a money hungry bastard don't let the door hit you on the way out. Ill take ocho and Edwards over your stone hand
    hooray mouthbreathers.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Self serving off season comments from a wide receiver waiting on a contract deal. Shocker
    No. It points to the much deeper problem within the Jets organization. Fire the offensive coordinator and do anything they can to keep Holmes. What this team needs is an overhaul in the offensive playbook, and an offensive coordinator who will properly start Holmes every game. That coordinator will call for more passes to Holmes, who is our best WR. Holmes will catch those passes here because the Jets locked him in long term deal for big money big money folks. They will do so because this rehashed article and story made his will be heard, and then his will was done. Holmes or the winner of a weekly fan contest will coordinate the offense. Deep problem solved, and franchise collapse averted.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-11-2011 at 04:04 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    No. It points to the much deeper problem within the Jets organization. Fire the offensive coordinator and do anything they can to keep Holmes. What this team needs is an overhaul in the offensive playbook, and an offensive coordinator who will properly start Holmes every game. That coordinator will call for more passes to Holmes, who is our best WR. Holmes will catch those passes here because the Jets locked him in long term deal for big money big money folks. They will do so because this rehashed article and story made his will be heard, and then his will was done. Holmes or the winner of a weekly fan contest will coordinate the offense. Deep problem solved, and franchise collapse averted.

Hall Of Fame
    Schotty is as Schotty does.

Veteran
    If Schotty is such a resource, why don't we test the market for him.

Santonio will command a ton of money, yet all Schottenhemier gets are offers to coach Buffalo. He pulls bogus stunts in serious situations and sits MVP caliber talent in the biggest game of the season.

I mean, how these conversations even continue about Schottenheimer's legitimacy as anything beyond a college level coach is beyond me. And I don't know if I'd want my son learning an NFL style offense from a family that's got virtually no NFL success to their name now for 2 generations.

Is there a space available for Brian to join his father with the Virginia Destroyers in the UFL?

I mean seriously, what the **** already? How much longer will they continue to do this to us? The only thing holding us back this year was decent offensive coaching.
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 04-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Schotty is as Schotty does.
    U should consider superimposing a BBC in that signature photo.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    In this pissing contest, who has the SB ring?

yeah, thought so.

All Pro
    This is the second year in a row that our top WR's are complaining about Schitty after the AFC game! Last year Edwards was unhappy with how he was used and now Holmes has a gripe with him. I think we all know what the damn problem is already!!@!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    This is the second year in a row that our top WR's are complaining about Schitty after the AFC game! Last year Edwards was unhappy with how he was used and now Holmes has a gripe with him. I think we all know what the damn problem is already!!@!
    Most of us, anyways.

Not C-Mart or Gato.. yet. I guess they need another year of under-performing offense.