Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hampur Acoustic/Electric Guitar Help

Bewildered Beast
    I live near radio relay towers, big signals can break through, especially when there are a lot of things plugged in. That's copper foil :usedtobecopper: creating a safe zone for my tone. Boy those wires are ugly, and the brainiac that did the wiring was a savant (RIP) of all things regarding analog circuitry. He was commissioned by Saul Marantz to test and improve the doctors ideas.

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_mJhnCXoS5yM/TaTWr9-x6zI/AAAAAAAAABQ/nTZ10x99Rcg/s400/Photo%2016.jpg[/img]

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_mJhnCXoS5yM/TaTWrb9bRcI/AAAAAAAAABI/DZYE2uWmOzo/s400/Photo%2014.jpg[/img]

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_mJhnCXoS5yM/TaTWrlKZhnI/AAAAAAAAABM/7jjSqA0CsBE/s400/Photo%2015.jpg[/IMG]

Bewildered Beast
    SAR got mad; told me to straighten out my wires (if I wanted to be somebody). So I got Tone Shaper. (Go to the website, it's too sick to describe here)

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_mJhnCXoS5yM/TaTWsAIrnfI/AAAAAAAAABU/C4A1qDEnuEY/s800/Photo%2017.jpg[/img]

Everything slapped back together (stupid wco gets the reverse image...I am right handed)

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_mJhnCXoS5yM/TaTWsQ6892I/AAAAAAAAABc/ScT1-OvcD1E/s400/Photo%2019.jpg[/img]

[QUOTE=Polidore22;3999396] I really do want the option to play with an amp, but the guy there was saying don't necessarily rule out guitars w/o electronics because you can always get pickups put in or use the temporary pickups.. whatever they are called. For example I definitely liked the HD-28V, but no electronics. What say you guys?

The front runners so far are the Martin OMC-Aura and the Taylor 614ce vs 814ce (can't decide which I like more.) Much more playing to go though.
    .[/QUOTE]

Electronics for acoustics are not really a deal breaker, he is right.
    Like i said I have Taylor it has the "expression system" and honestly its cool but acoustics are not really about plugging in...if you were looking to play live, you REALLY do not want to take a 2-3K guitar out to the park or a bar..That is what my $300 Dean acoustic is for.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Micaboy;3999703]Electronics for acoustics are not really a deal breaker, he is right.
    Like i said I have Taylor it has the "expression system" and honestly its cool but acoustics are not really about plugging in...if you were looking to play live, you REALLY do not want to take a 2-3K guitar out to the park or a bar..That is what my $300 Dean acoustic is for.[/QUOTE]

I had my 810 "miked up" after the fact by a local luthier here in Charlotte. I have played out maybe 5 times tops and used it...I rarely remember I can plug in.

[QUOTE=Micaboy;3999703]Electronics for acoustics are not really a deal breaker, he is right.
    Like i said I have Taylor it has the "expression system" and honestly its cool but acoustics are not really about plugging in...if you were looking to play live, you REALLY do not want to take a 2-3K guitar out to the park or a bar..That is what my $300 Dean acoustic is for.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3999729]I had my 810 "miked up" after the fact by a local luthier here in Charlotte. I have played out maybe 5 times tops and used it...I rarely remember I can plug in.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm interesting. Well it would be more for recording and playing around than playing live. As an aside, the 814ce and the 614ce are unbelievably beautiful guitars, but I'm trying not to let that affect my decision too much.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;3999212]just to confirm: me and PK are the only ones NOT owning a guitar and playing?[/QUOTE]

I have a guitar, I just don't play it.

If the hamper started a band, we'd have 1 drummer, no bass player, 671 guitarists and no lead singer (unless you're interested in the job)

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3999850]I have a guitar, I just don't play it.

If the hamper started a band, we'd have 1 drummer, no bass player, 671 guitarists and no lead singer (unless you're interested in the job)[/QUOTE]

We have a Cello in there somewhere as well so we can do an Eleanor Rigby style song I'm sure.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3999850]I have a guitar, I just don't play it.

If the hamper started a band, we'd have 1 drummer, no bass player, 671 guitarists and no lead singer (unless you're interested in the job)[/QUOTE]

Borg on bass

hopefully he has a loud amp

Like i said I have Taylor it has the "expression system" and honestly its cool but acoustics are not really about plugging in...[b]if you were looking to play live, you REALLY do not want to take a 2-3K guitar out to the park or a bar..That is what my $300 Dean acoustic is for.[/b][/QUOTE]

That's why I bought a Rainsong (company from Maui). It's impervious to climate, abuse, nicks and dings. I leave it laying around everywhere and travel with it. It sounds better than any J200 I've owned and most Gibsons, Taylors, or Martins on the shop walls. Being carbon fiber and made in a mold, they're all pretty much identical. You can mail order one from Sam Ash for $2250 free ship and no tax, even though they have stores nationwide.

[img]http://www.musicland.co.jp/static-image/shibuya/3258/JM1000drop.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/3008749993_454112798d.jpg[/img]

[QUOTE=innerjet;3999912]That's why I bought a Rainsong (company from Maui). It's impervious to climate, abuse, nicks and dings. I leave it laying around everywhere and travel with it. It sounds better than any J200 I've owned and most Gibsons, Taylors, or Martins on the shop walls. Being carbon fiber and made in a mold, they're all pretty much identical. You can mail order one from Sam Ash for $2250 free ship and no tax, even though they have stores nationwide.QUOTE]

Do they sound that good? Always interested but never saw one in person.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3999893]Borg on bass

hopefully he has a loud amp[/QUOTE]

I'm a guitarist now, albeit horrible. Southpark is a bada$$ bass player.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4000000]I'm a guitarist now, albeit horrible. Southpark [B]WAS[/B] a bada$$ bass player.[/QUOTE]

FIXED!

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4000005]FIXED![/QUOTE]

Stop it. You got the gig.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4000008]Stop it. You got the gig.[/QUOTE]

Ruby as the front man??

[QUOTE=Polidore22;4000010]Ruby as the front man??[/QUOTE]

Only if he adopts Iggy Pop's persona from the 70s. But sporting tefillin.

[URL=http://img833.imageshack.us/i/iggypopatgrandeballroom.jpg/][IMG]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4567/iggypopatgrandeballroom.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[QUOTE=innerjet;3999912]That's why I bought a Rainsong (company from Maui). It's impervious to climate, abuse, nicks and dings. I leave it laying around everywhere and travel with it. [B]It sounds better than any J200 I've owned [/B]and most Gibsons, Taylors, or Martins on the shop walls. Being carbon fiber and made in a mold, they're all pretty much identical. You can mail order one from Sam Ash for $2250 free ship and no tax, even though they have stores nationwide.

[/QUOTE]

I have always liked the tone of the J200, maybe because my experience was with older ones. I really wanted Poli to play one, but will defer if the new models don't meet former standards.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Rainsong. Would love to play one, but not sure about those dolphin inlays. :D

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4000026]I have always liked the tone of the J200, maybe because my experience was with older ones. I really wanted Poli to play one, but will defer if the new models don't meet former standards.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Rainsong. Would love to play one, but not sure about those dolphin inlays. :D[/QUOTE]

They didn't have a J200, but I will try one as soon as it pops up. I'm lost between the Martin vs Taylor sound... they are so different, but both so sweet. Then within the Taylors the 614 maple vs 814 rosewood are also a very different sound. Overwhelmed.

[QUOTE=Polidore22;4000028]They didn't have a J200, but I will try one as soon as it pops up. I'm lost between the Martin vs Taylor sound... they are so different, but both so sweet. Then within the Taylors the 614 maple vs 814 rosewood are also a very different sound. [B]Overwhelmed.[/B][/QUOTE]

Don't be. You're under no deadline. Let it percolate for a few days, then go back and play the guitars you like again.

All this is very subjective. You will always find people who love or hate the same guitar. I had an old Martin in college (probably a late 60s vintage) which was lost to a breakup of a relationship. I haven't played a newer Martin I liked since. And, for some reason, I don't connect with the Taylor. Great guitars and quality, but it just doesn't click for me.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4000038]Don't be. You're under no deadline. Let it percolate for a few days, then go back and play the guitars you like again.

All this is very subjective. You will always find people who love or hate the same guitar. I had an old Martin in college (probably a late 60s vintage) which was lost to a breakup of a relationship. I haven't played a newer Martin I liked since. And, for some reason, I don't connect with the Taylor. Great guitars and quality, but it just doesn't click for me.[/QUOTE]

Yes that's what I'm starting to accept which is what everyone has said... you just have to find one that clicks. I'm so used to doing exhaustive research and getting the absolute best of the best or best price/performance TV.. car etc, but that just doesn't apply here. Also, can we make that she-devil's life hell for taking (losing?) your guitar?

[QUOTE=Polidore22;4000052]Yes that's what I'm starting to accept which is what everyone has said... you just have to find one that clicks. I'm so used to doing exhaustive research and getting the absolute best of the best or best price/performance TV.. car etc, but that just doesn't apply here. [B]Also, can we make that she-devil's life hell for taking (losing?) your guitar?[/B][/QUOTE]

It was hers. She gave it to me, then took it back when we split after four years being together. I was glad to rid myself of that idiot, but still feel the sting of losing that stringed beauty.

I live in the same "research" hell. Just keep playing the instruments until a light goes off. You'll know.