Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hampur Acoustic/Electric Guitar Help

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3998363]I'm looking to buy a new acoustic to replace my Takamine and I'm probably going to go big. The budget is $3k max. Yes this is too much guitar for my skill level, but no I don't care. I've heard the Taylor 614, 714 and 814 are must tries. Any other suggestions? I realize I have to go try them out, but I want a short list to play when I go to Guitar Center or wherever I can find them. Thanks Hampur.

I do a bit of finger picking, but mostly use a pick. I like all sorts of music, but I guess John Frusciante, Dave Matthews (suck it) and Neil Young are some starters that I play to give you an idea. I would prefer something all around though as I do enjoy a ton of music.[/QUOTE]

I'm late to the party here, but in my opinion you will get vastly more bang for your buck looking for a nice used small production shop guitar.

Depends on your style but look for a nice used Collings, Bourgeois (I used to work for him), Santa Cruz ect... You can find a lot of guitar for that price. Much better than a mass made Taylor in my opinion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Luthier;4145694]I'm late to the party here, but in my opinion you will get vastly more bang for your buck looking for a nice used small production shop guitar.

Depends on your style but look for a nice used Collings, Bourgeois (I used to work for him), Santa Cruz ect... You can find a lot of guitar for that price. Much better than a mass made Taylor in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Kool. Question....

My Taylor 810 seems to be "buzzing" lately when I strum a deep chord like an open G, E. Sounds like its coming from inside the body.

What should my troubleshooting step be. The nearsest "reputable" Luthier is 30 miles away.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4145697]Kool. Question....

My Taylor 810 seems to be "buzzing" lately when I strum a deep chord like an open G, E. Sounds like its coming from inside the body.

What should my troubleshooting step be. The nearsest "reputable" Luthier is 30 miles away.[/QUOTE]

Buzzes can be VERY hard to track down. IT may sound like it's coming from inside the body, but could be coming from anywhere sometimes. It's a piece of woodworking meant to amplify and transmit sound so it's deceiving sometimes.

Check the simple things first.

Like a new set of strings. Sometimes the ball ends can rattle inside.
    Still could be fret buzz, or even buzz from the nut. Capo it and strum the chord. Does it go away? Maybe the nut slots are cut too low and the strings rattle in the open position. Perhaps it is fret buzz.

Does it have a pickup in it? If so check and make sure that none of the wires are loose and near the top because as the top vibrates it will rattle them.

Could be the hardware on the tuners. Check the nuts, screws, washers on them and make sure they are nice and tight. Same for the hardware inside the guitar such as the bolts that hold on the neck, or the end jack if there is a pickup.

There is the chance of a loose brace rattling, or even a cracked brace, but these are more serious, and less likely scenarios.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4000147]Wrong hole foo! :D[/QUOTE]

You're a good man. :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Luthier;4145703]Buzzes can be VERY hard to track down. IT may sound like it's coming from inside the body, but could be coming from anywhere sometimes. It's a piece of woodworking meant to amplify and transmit sound so it's deceiving sometimes.

Still could be fret buzz, or even buzz from the nut. Capo it and strum the chord. Does it go away? Maybe the nut slots are cut too low and the strings rattle in the open position. Perhaps it is fret buzz.

Does it have a pickup in it? If so check and make sure that none of the wires are loose and near the top because as the top vibrates it will rattle them.

Could be the hardware on the tuners. Check the nuts, screws, washers on them and make sure they are nice and tight. Same for the hardware inside the guitar such as the bolts that hold on the neck, or the end jack if there is a pickup.

There is the chance of a loose brace rattling, or even a cracked brace, but these are more serious, and less likely scenarios.[/QUOTE]
    Luth, I asked this in the competency thread:

Can I ask: setting the intonation; what is the preferred process for electric guitars? Just moving the individual saddles? is there a direct relation between moving it up or back, as to sharp or flat? (the open string would be perfectly tuned in this case)

Thanks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone on this damn website NOT play a guitar?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4145712]Does anyone on this damn website NOT play a guitar?[/QUOTE]

Shut up, [I]drummer[/I]. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Luthier;4145703]Buzzes can be VERY hard to track down. IT may sound like it's coming from inside the body, but could be coming from anywhere sometimes. It's a piece of woodworking meant to amplify and transmit sound so it's deceiving sometimes.

Like a new set of strings. Sometimes the ball ends can rattle inside. [B] OK[/B]

Does it have a pickup in it? [B] YES, put in after the fact by good Luthier.[/B]

If so check and make sure that none of the wires are loose and near the top because as the top vibrates it will rattle them. [B] OK.[/B]

There is the chance of a loose brace rattling, or even a cracked brace, but these are more serious, and less likely scenarios.[/QUOTE]

WOW. Thank you. I will troubleshoot it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4145713]Shut up, [I]drummer[/I]. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqtgn9SjZp1qdldb8.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4145720][IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqtgn9SjZp1qdldb8.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

lol, that's the one that crack me up

DrummerKhan

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my Takemine for years and last year decided I wanted a classical guitar. Thought about the 500 to 750 dollar range, but my buddy Keith handed me a Hohner nylon string made of sitka spruce that changed my mind. Incredible guitar and it only cost me 250 dollars. The sitka spruce actually ages for the first year or so and the sound just keeps getting better. The neck design is a hohner patent called Tru-tone that allows the guitar to ne in tune all over the neck. Martins and Taylors will always be out of tune somewhere on the neck, its just the nature of the guitar. Hohner is the first company to address this.
    Remember to buy with your ears and not your eyes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4145712]Does anyone on this damn website NOT play a guitar?[/QUOTE]

Well i've played drums for 28 years and guitar for only 19, so will call me a skin beater over an axe man, but i'm both.
    I bet most of us started with something else and our egos made us play guitar.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RazorJet;4145749]Well i've played drums for 28 years and guitar for only 19, so will call me a skin beater over an axe man, but i'm both.
    I bet most of us started with something else and our egos made us play guitar.[/QUOTE]

So there's 1 1/2 of us here!!

:rockon:

:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drums are for p#ssys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Luthier...

I changed the strings and at that point noted a cracked "pin" that holds the string to the guitar on the deep E string. Replaced it and all is good.

Thanks for your help.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4168436]Luthier...

I changed the strings and at that point noted a cracked "pin" that holds the string to the guitar on the deep E string. Replaced it and all is good.

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

Glad I could help!