Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hampur Acoustic/Electric Guitar Help

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Hampur Acoustic/Electric Guitar Help

I'm looking to buy a new acoustic to replace my Takamine and I'm probably going to go big. The budget is $3k max. Yes this is too much guitar for my skill level, but no I don't care. I've heard the Taylor 614, 714 and 814 are must tries. Any other suggestions? I realize I have to go try them out, but I want a short list to play when I go to Guitar Center or wherever I can find them. Thanks Hampur.

I do a bit of finger picking, but mostly use a pick. I like all sorts of music, but I guess John Frusciante, Dave Matthews (suck it) and Neil Young are some starters that I play to give you an idea. I would prefer something all around though as I do enjoy a ton of music.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would tell you to definitely go play a Gibson J-200. Also, I was very impressed with Santa Cruz acoustics when I lived on the West Coast.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taylor, hands down, if you like a flexable great sounding instrument.

Martin, hands down, if you only play fingerstyle.

Stay away from Gibson, they're trash these days from top to bottom, no quality control poorly made crap. Sad demise for a once great company.

If you want to go less-known brands, there are literally dozens of great small-run and custim builders out there, but you;d really have to do so research on each in turn, and it's alot harder to find their work to play in advance in many cases.

Oh, and stay the hell away from Guitar Center or the like. Those instruments have been beating to piss by every punter playing "smoke on my *******" for hours on end with greasy dirty hands and no understanding of how to treat an instrument. Find a smaller shop with a Nazi-like policy of testing, they generally keep their stick vastly better condition.

Good luck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3998371]I would tell you to definitely go play a Gibson J-200. Also, I was very impressed with Santa Cruz acoustics when I lived on the West Coast.[/QUOTE]

Ok cool.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3998373]Taylor, hands down, if you like a flexable great sounding instrument.

Martin, hands down, if you only play fingerstyle.

Stay away from Gibson, they're trash these days from top to bottom, no quality control poorly made crap. Sad demise for a once great company.

If you want to go less-known brands, there are literally dozens of great small-run and custim builders out there, but you;d really have to do so research on each in turn, and it's alot harder to find their work to play in advance in many cases.

Oh, and stay the hell away from Guitar Center or the like. Those instruments have been beating to piss by every punter playing "smoke on my *******" for hours on end with greasy dirty hands and no understanding of how to treat an instrument. Find a smaller shop with a Nazi-like policy of testing, they generally keep their stick vastly better condition.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Ok good stuff... I feel like the Taylor brand will match the sound I want from what I hear, but I guess I won't know til I play. I actually am worried about that with Guitar Center, but it's really hard to find high end instruments like these all in one place. The Guitar Center in Manhattan has a ton of stuff, but unfortunately like you alluded to that stuff gets a lot of play time. Would playing instruments at a store then ordering one online be insane? I've heard really good things about Taylor quality control.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my last little foray the Taylors sounded just tremendous compared to most of the other guitars I fooled around with (hammering away smoke on the water after eating KFC). The Taylors were expensive guitars and sounded like it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3998377]

[B]I actually am worried about that with Guitar Center, but it's really hard to find high end instruments like these all in one place. [/B] [/QUOTE]

If you lived in my old neck of the woods, I'd send you to Eric Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, CA, the best little guitar shop I've ever experienced. He's super knowledgeable, and worth calling. They ship anywhere. (See link below).

[url]http://www.om28.com/[/url]

In the NYC area, I would tell you to get on the SI Ferry to Mandolin Brothers. They have a phenomenal selection of vintage and new instruments. Plus, everyone there is obsessed with guitars.

[url]http://www.mandoweb.com/[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTzM2y51hM&feature=related[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3998397][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTzM2y51hM&feature=related[/url][/QUOTE]

That's Polidore's inbred, guitar-hacking cousin, Lolidore.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3998363]I'm looking to buy a new acoustic to replace my Takamine and I'm probably going to go big. The budget is $3k max. Yes this is too much guitar for my skill level, but no I don't care. I've heard the Taylor 614, 714 and 814 are must tries. Any other suggestions? I realize I have to go try them out, but I want a short list to play when I go to Guitar Center or wherever I can find them. Thanks Hampur.

I do a bit of finger picking, but mostly use a pick. I like all sorts of music, but I guess John Frusciante, Dave Matthews (suck it) and Neil Young are some starters that I play to give you an idea. I would prefer something all around though as I do enjoy a ton of music.[/QUOTE]

Go into Manhattan.

You can also call Bob Brumbeloe, Head of Sales at Guitar Solo, a first-rate acoustic guitar dealer. I was in there yesterday, and the $3K level is their bread and butter. Bob has been selling that fancy wood for 20 years (He also is a working jazz guitarist in the SF Bay Area). He knows those guitars. You may not buy from him, but he'll give you 5 minutes on the phone if you want to ask questions comparing the guitars you will choose from.

[url]http://www.gspguitar.com/[/url]

Guitar Solo was voted "Best Place to Buy a Guitar" in SF.

STORE TELEPHONE: 415 896 1922
    LOCATION: 230 Townsend Street (between 3rd and 4th, near AT&T/Giants ballpark and the Caltrain terminal).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3998390]If you lived in my old neck of the woods, I'd send you to Eric Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon, CA, the best little guitar shop I've ever experienced. He's super knowledgeable, and worth calling. They ship anywhere. (See link below).

[url]http://www.om28.com/[/url]

[B]In the NYC area, I would tell you to get on the SI Ferry to Mandolin Brothers. They have a phenomenal selection of vintage and new instruments. Plus, everyone there is obsessed with guitars. [/B]

[url]http://www.mandoweb.com/[/url][/QUOTE]
    This is where I would start. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good **** thanks guys (except doughnut stuffer). Any other input would be great.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3998424]This is where I would start. :yes:[/QUOTE]

WCO, you ever get into Eric Schoenberg's Tiburon shop?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a drum kit.

Be a man.

:P:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same thing. Got rid of a $125 Takamine my college girlfriend bought for $125 in 1983. Went to an upscale store and said EXACTLY what you said.
    basically, I'm ready for an upgrade.

That was 1996.

Figured I spend about $800 on a great acoustic. Well..my Takamine was now the $800 guitar.

[B]I bought a Taylor 810,[/B] had a pick up put in later. In it for around $1,800 to $2,000 or so.

Sounds great and no regrets. I finger pick a lot. I rarely plug it in.

LOVE the Taylor.

Wanna challenge yourself......learn some Paul Simon. It's a B1tch but the chicks love it.;)

I play a ton of Fogelberg, Simon, Croce, Beatles etc...
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-11-2011 at 06:11 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever you do, don't buy anything that's been hanging on the wall at Guitar Center. Make them give you a new in the box model if you end up buying there and also have them throw in a free setup.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3998442]WCO, you ever get into Eric Schoenberg's Tiburon shop?[/QUOTE]

He is legendary; however, I saw all the fancy stuff at Guitar Solo, so I did not have the seeking spirit to visit Schoenberg. I have a 15 year old Takamine G-10 that has no inlays at all, no pickguard and a matte finish. The soundboard is not solid spruce, but it does sound good. It's enough for me. And I got Larry Coryell and John Abercrombie to sign it.

I spend $3K on Gibson L-5's. :D

[url]http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Custom/ES-339-Figured.aspx[/url]

This is Gibson's version of the "baby" ES-335 that Scofield plays (an Ibanez Artist from the 1980's). Much smaller than the ES 335.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Guild G87 I bought new around 83, 84.

Beat the crap out of it (think Willie Nelsons Martin guitar:eek:) and it still has a rich, deep tone, and def not in the upper end price wise.

Just another name to throw out there in case one catches your eye, as many before me in the thread have made great recommendations already.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3998408]That's Polidore's inbred, guitar-hacking cousin, Lolidore.[/QUOTE]

Pmao

:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3998464]I have a Guild G87 I bought new around 83, 84.

Beat the crap out of it (think Willie Nelsons Martin guitar:eek:) and it still has a rich, deep tone, and def not in the upper end price wise.

Just another name to throw out there in case one catches your eye, as many before me in the thread have made great recommendations already.[/QUOTE]

I bet it sounds great; ie the tone is consistent with no "dead spots" where the string dies as it's fretted in certain areas. I have never owned or had a chance to really play a Guild. I'm envious.. :D
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 04-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3998440]Any input would be great.[/QUOTE]

LOL thats so gay.