Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hampur Acoustic/Electric Guitar Help

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=FF2®;3998572]LOL thats so gay.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/wco33/795926160_m.gif[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3998570]I bet it sounds great; ie the tone is consistent with no "dead spots" where the string dies as it's fretted in certain areas. I have never owned or had a chance to really play a Guild. I'm envious.. :D[/QUOTE]

Def. no dead spots...I really dont know how the neck has stayed straight as this guitar has been through five full fledged home moves, numerous Irish bar pass arounds, stair drops (me fargin bro years ago:mad:) never serviced etc.

Truth be told, I never showed the respect this instrument was due,... and I'd kill my son for treating his guitars similarly.

:O:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3998593]Def. no dead spots...I really dont know how the neck has stayed straight as this guitar has been through five full fledged home moves, numerous Irish bar pass arounds, stair drops (me fargin bro years ago:mad:) never serviced etc.

Truth be told, I never showed the respect this instrument was due,... and I'd kill my son for treating his guitars similarly.

:O:D[/QUOTE]

If I was in the market for an acoustic I'd get one of those Westerly RI built Guilds. They are pretty pricey since people have figured out how good they are. They were a steal ten years ago.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3998596]If I was in the market for an acoustic I'd get one of those Westerly RI built Guilds. They are pretty pricey since people have figured out how good they are. They were a steal ten years ago.[/QUOTE]

How would I know where it was built? Do you have a link?

I bet this thing has to be one of those.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3998601]How would I know where it was built? Do you have a link?

I bet this thing has to be one of those.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.higgydude.com/guild/Guild-Soundhole-DC-1E-Black.jpg[/IMG]

I think all 70's and 80's were made in Westerly. Some late 60's and early 90's too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3998625][IMG]http://www.higgydude.com/guild/Guild-Soundhole-DC-1E-Black.jpg[/IMG]

I think all 70's and 80's were made in Westerly. Some late 60's and early 90's too.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Thats what I have. Different model and serial #, but handwritten just like that. Westerly.

Never looked at the fine print on that label until now.

My daughter was larfing at me bending over the guitar with my reading specs on.:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3998632]Yep. Thats what I have. Different model and serial #, but handwritten just like that. Westerly.

Never looked at the fine print on that label until now.

My daughter was larfing at me bending over the guitar with my reading specs on.:D[/QUOTE]

I think they started in New York, then at least 25 years in RI. Then bought by fender and made in California. Then moved to Tacoma. Then in Connecticut for a while, not sure where they are now.

I remember Tom Petty playing one around the Full Moon Fever days.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3998625][IMG]http://www.higgydude.com/guild/Guild-Soundhole-DC-1E-Black.jpg[/IMG]

I think all 70's and 80's were made in Westerly. Some late 60's and early 90's too.[/QUOTE]

That guitar has a serial number that is flagged as stolen. :(

Is this why you were banned from the guitar forum?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;3998702]That guitar has a serial number that is flagged as stolen. :(

Is this why you were banned from the guitar forum?[/QUOTE]

not mine

google image

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3998446]I did the same thing. Got rid of a $125 Takamine my college girlfriend bought for $125 in 1983. Went to an upscale store and said EXACTLY what you said.
    basically, I'm ready for an upgrade.

That was 1996.

Figured I spend about $800 on a great acoustic. Well..my Takamine was now the $800 guitar.

[B]I bought a Taylor 810,[/B] had a pick up put in later. In it for around $1,800 to $2,000 or so.

Sounds great and no regrets. I finger pick a lot. I rarely plug it in.

LOVE the Taylor.

Wanna challenge yourself......learn some Paul Simon. It's a B1tch but the chicks love it.;)

I play a ton of Fogelberg, Simon, Croce, Beatles etc...[/QUOTE]

Yes perfect... if you had cheaped out on it you would have already felt the need to upgrade. That's exactly what I'm thinking.. guitar for the next 10 years. Also I'm not sure my generation is going to love Paul Simon as much, but worth a try. ;)

[QUOTE=FF2®;3998572]LOL thats so gay.[/QUOTE]

Although I laughed... zip it burger blood.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3998444]Get a drum kit.

Be a man.

:P:D[/QUOTE]

nah, Poli should start off with a kazoo. It'll go with his 'stache.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3998730]Yes perfect... if you had cheaped out on it you would have already felt the need to upgrade. That's exactly what I'm thinking.. guitar for the next 10 years. [B]Also I'm not sure my generation is going to love Paul Simon as much, but worth a try[/B]. ;)

Although I laughed... zip it burger blood.[/QUOTE]

I now struggle finding the perfect string. I have tried them all and taylor comes with Elixor, but I am using DiAddario's currently.

Don'r listen to paul Simon......I keep forgettiing you are an old *uck!;)

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3998823]I now struggle finding the perfect string. I have tried them all and taylor comes with Elixor, but I am using DiAddario's currently.

Don'r listen to paul Simon......I keep forgettiing you are an old *uck!;)[/QUOTE]

a YOUNG *uck thank you very much :) Yeah my friend has a 314ce and goes with the Elixor strings only because that's what they come with. I have DiAddario's on my Takamine right now. God... looking at musical equipment is a daunting task.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3998823]I now struggle finding the perfect string.[/QUOTE]

I go through finding the holy grail stuff too. I've been through that with strings, pups, amp tubes and even (I'm ashamed to say) pick guard material. It's a never ending journey that always proves disappointing - like chasing the wind. Even when you think you found what you're looking for, you go back next day and think "man this sucks". Then next day "man this sounds good".

You just have to make a choice and enjoy it. I'm pretty sure Robert Johnson had crappy stuff stored in hot humid southern weather. He did OK.

Poli won't get this, but the older players might -
    Less Ebay - more Mel Bay.:yes:

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3998456]He is legendary; however, I saw all the fancy stuff at Guitar Solo, so I did not have the seeking spirit to visit Schoenberg. I have a 15 year old Takamine G-10 that has no inlays at all, no pickguard and a matte finish. The soundboard is not solid spruce, but it does sound good. It's enough for me. And I got Larry Coryell and John Abercrombie to sign it.

I spend $3K on Gibson L-5's. :D

[url]http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/ES/Gibson-Custom/ES-339-Figured.aspx[/url]

This is Gibson's version of the "baby" ES-335 that Scofield plays (an Ibanez Artist from the 1980's). Much smaller than the ES 335.[/QUOTE]

It is such a small, unpretentious place. One day, hop the ferry over to Tiburon, grab a burger and beer at Sams, and stop in. It's not all high end stuff. That Gibson is a beauty, BTW.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3998840]IPoli won't get this, but the older players might -
    Less Ebay - more Mel Bay.:yes:[/QUOTE]

:D

You ever hear how if a bull was put in front of a cow, he'd slam it 2-3 times and then fall asleep?

But if you put a bull in front of 1000 cows, he'd slam each one until he dropped from exhaustion?

Its the same way with chicks/guitars I think.

Pretty much every one feels, sounds, plays different and even a cheapie can sound "different" enough to make it interesting.:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3998840]I go through finding the holy grail stuff too. I've been through that with strings, pups, amp tubes and even (I'm ashamed to say) pick guard material. It's a never ending journey that always proves disappointing - like chasing the wind. Even when you think you found what you're looking for, you go back next day and think "man this sucks". Then next day "man this sounds good".

You just have to make a choice and enjoy it. I'm pretty sure Robert Johnson had crappy stuff stored in hot humid southern weather. He did OK.

Poli won't get this, but the older players might -
    Less Ebay - more Mel Bay.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Mel Bay...LMFAO! Yeah those were the days. Half that crap was wrong anyway.

It's amazing how you can go to youtube and learn almost anything. I like this guy and just learned this tune using his site. Was so appreciative made a small donation.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riK1w6OxAQg[/url]

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3998841]It is such a small, unpretentious place. One day, hop the ferry over to Tiburon, grab a burger and beer at Sams, and stop in. It's not all high end stuff. That Gibson is a beauty, BTW.[/QUOTE]

Oooo I missed that before. That thing is purdy.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3998869]Mel Bay...LMFAO! Yeah those were the days. Half that crap was wrong anyway.

[/QUOTE]

He took Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and and gave it the ritzy name "Sparkling Stella". I think I was eight years old and even I was like WTF???

That F-chord was a SOB too. It was then I knew playing the guitar was going to be work.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3998840]Poli won't get this, but the older players might -
    [/QUOTE]

Confirmed.