Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hampur Acoustic/Electric Guitar Help

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3998826]a YOUNG *uck thank you very much :) Yeah my friend has a 314ce and goes with the Elixor strings only because that's what they come with. I have DiAddario's on my Takamine right now. God... looking at musical equipment is a daunting task.[/QUOTE]

Not daunting; time-consuming. Knowing what is best is not a science; you can't "get it right" by listening to others and skipping trial and error.

That said, there is a map you can follow:

Learn your favorite songs and use that knowledge as your portal to becoming a "good" musician; no chord books, no method books, NO YOU TUBE lessons (unless it's a [B]song[/B] broken down)...songs, songs, songs. Play them all the way through and DON'T STOP to go back to the top when you make a mistake; keep plugging; hum the tune as you play it. This is proven stuff; make it your own.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3998885]Not daunting; time-consuming. Knowing what is best is not a science; you can't "get it right" by listening to others and skipping trial and error.

Learn your favorite songs and use that knowledge as your portal to becoming a "good" musician; no chord books, no method books, NO YOU TUBE lessons (unless it's a [B]song[/B] broken down)...songs, songs, songs. Play them all the way through and DON'T STOP to go back to the top when you make a mistake; keep plugging; hum the tune as you play it. This is proven stuff; make it your own.[/QUOTE]

West Coast Offensive IS Mel Bay...He retired from his book royalties and moved to the coast!:D

Surprised by your Youtube response, every now and again I like to watch and learn from youtube and for me, it works.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3998841]It is such a small, unpretentious place. One day, hop the ferry over to Tiburon, grab a burger and beer at Sams, and stop in. It's not all high end stuff. That Gibson is a beauty, BTW.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, Tiburon is a great place. I have seen his sign; Guitar Solo is the same church-y atmosphere. Hard to pick up an axe and get a groove on in those "shrines"; I become a real wallflower

"WCO want to play??"

:nono:

"Come on...look how shiny!"

:O

"Who's the boy? Come on...look, 6 strings!"

okay ... but don't lissen!

I love the fish and chips at Sam's, btw. That's what I go for. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3998891]West Coast Offensive IS Mel Bay...He retired from his book royalties and moved to the coast!:D

[B]Surprised by your Youtube response, every now and again I like to watch and learn from youtube and for me, it works[/B].[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I indirectly pointed at your example: you posted a song that is broken down correctly. ;):cool:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3998885]Not daunting; time-consuming. Knowing what is best is not a science; you can't "get it right" by listening to others and skipping trial and error.

Learn your favorite songs and use that knowledge as your portal to becoming a "good" musician; no chord books, no method books, NO YOU TUBE lessons (unless it's a [B]song[/B] broken down)...songs, songs, songs. Play them all the way through and DON'T STOP to go back to the top when you make a mistake; keep plugging; hum the tune as you play it. This is proven stuff; make it your own.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of best methods of learning... you think taking time to learn scales etc is worth it? As of right now I pretty much do what you say which is learn songs and play them.. rinse/repeat. Also.. you mean no youtube lessons that don't specifically break down one song? That's pretty much the only kind of lesson I've looked up on youtube.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3998903]Speaking of best methods of learning... you think taking time to learn scales etc is worth it? As of right now I pretty much do what you say which is learn songs and play them.. rinse/repeat. Also.. you mean no youtube lessons that don't specifically break down one song? That's pretty much the only kind of lesson I've looked up on youtube.[/QUOTE]

one question: what are you drawn to on you tube? "How to play better" is not going to build momentum. Learning songs; and then applying scales in those songs, is the way to go. Play a chord, then play the scale associated with it.

The YouTube issue is that it will provide many ideas that (we guitarists vocalists etc) will want to "master", and that becomes a defeating pursuit, as you will be empty-handed when someone says "Hey, Poli...play a tune for us!"

Developing a repertoire is harder than bouncing around you tube, imo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3998893]Oh yeah, Tiburon is a great place. I have seen his sign; Guitar Solo is the same church-y atmosphere. [B]Hard to pick up an axe and get a groove on in those "shrines"; I become a real wallflower[/B]

"WCO want to play??"

:nono:

"Come on...look how shiny!"

:O

"Who's the boy? Come on...look, 6 strings!"

okay ... but don't lissen!

I love the fish and chips at Sam's, btw. That's what I go for. :yes:[/QUOTE]

LOL. Boy, do you have the wrong idea about that place. It is so laid back that a hacker like me could go in there and play with any guitar on the wall, expensive or not. During weekday mornings, you might be the only person to walk in. I'd just go in and buy some strings and hang around with no one bothering you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3998913]one question: what are you drawn to on you tube? "How to play better" is not going to build momentum. Learning songs; and then applying scales in those songs, is the way to go. Play a chord, then play the scale associated with it.

The YouTube issue is that it will provide many ideas that (we guitarists vocalists etc) will want to "master", and that becomes a defeating pursuit, as you will be empty-handed when someone says "Hey, Poli...play a tune for us!"

Developing a repertoire is harder than bouncing around you tube, imo.[/QUOTE]

Ok cool.. I think we are on the same page here. I jumped right in learning songs and the only youtube stuff I look for are specific song break downs. I definitely agree learning what sounds best for myself goes a lot better than "how to properly strum lesson 4." I'm starting to learn some all finger picked songs and it's pretty fun.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3998914]LOL. Boy, do you have the wrong idea about that place. It is so laid back that a hacker like me could go in there and play with any guitar on the wall, expensive or not. During weekday mornings, you might be the only person to walk in. I'd just go in and buy some strings and hang around with no one bothering you.[/QUOTE]

Man I love a guitar store with a sound proof room. Even then, just in case the staff is trying to hear and comment on my playing, I play way low. And I'm looking out the door window watching them with the nervous look of a crystal meth maker looking out for the cops.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3998924]Man I love a guitar store with a sound proof room. Even then, just in case the staff is trying to hear and comment on my playing, I play way low. And I'm looking out the door window watching them with the nervous look of a crystal meth maker looking out for the cops.[/QUOTE]

+1 :O

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3998923]Ok cool.. I think we are on the same page here. I jumped right in learning songs and the only youtube stuff I look for are specific song break downs. I definitely agree learning what sounds best for myself goes a lot better than "how to properly strum lesson 4." I'm starting to learn some all finger picked songs and it's pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

stay within a couple of blues scales and make a face like you are taking a giant crap . it works.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3998930]stay within a couple of blues scales and make a face like you are taking a giant crap . it works.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070227/glutton_l.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3998914]LOL. Boy, do you have the wrong idea about that place. It is so laid back that a hacker like me could go in there and play with any guitar on the wall, expensive or not. During weekday mornings, you might be the only person to walk in. I'd just go in and buy some strings and hang around with no one bothering you.[/QUOTE]Yes, I do have the wrong idea. At Guitar Solo there are classical monsters; at Guitar Center there are distortion monsters. I only go to GC when I want to test drive an amp, and there is no escaping the monsters of distortion. Maybe a trip to Tiburon is in order.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3998924]Man I love a guitar store with a sound proof room. Even then, just in case the staff is trying to hear and comment on my playing, I play way low. And I'm looking out the door window watching them with the nervous look of a crystal meth maker looking out for the cops.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "[B]Thank you ladies and gentleman. I will now play the first position A chord.[/B]"

[IMG]http://static.gigwise.com/gallery/8004327_JizzFace3.jpg[/IMG]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3998840]
    Poli won't get this, but the older players might -
    Less Ebay - more Mel Bay.:yes:[/QUOTE]

When I took guitar lessons when I was around 12 years old, I had a bunch of Mel Bay books. I found them exceedingly boring and never really got into the guitar after that.

Like WCO said, I became stuck on learning how to master scales, endless scales, all bunched together, and I didn't know any songs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3998924]Man I love a guitar store with a sound proof room. Even then, just in case the staff is trying to hear and comment on my playing, I play way low. [B]And I'm looking out the door window watching them with the nervous look of a crystal meth maker looking out for the cops.[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL. I never feel totally comfortable in a guitar shop.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    just to confirm: me and PK are the only ones NOT owning a guitar and playing?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3998373]Taylor, hands down, if you like a flexable great sounding instrument.

Martin, hands down, if you only play fingerstyle.

Stay away from Gibson, they're trash these days from top to bottom, no quality control poorly made crap. Sad demise for a once great company.

If you want to go less-known brands, there are literally dozens of great small-run and custim builders out there, but you;d really have to do so research on each in turn, and it's alot harder to find their work to play in advance in many cases.

.[/QUOTE]

Taylors are great..I have a 714 myself just one thing about them is the Elixer's do make up a major part of their sound.

Martin's just for fingerstyle? Don't know the D-28 and D-35 are great strummers as well.

He's right on Gibson..very sad, went through a few Songwriter Deluxes in a very short time due to poor QC..

You may want to take a look at a few Larrivee guitars. Canadian but great. Collings are great too.

I say go in for the kill..Go for a custom Froggy Bottom Guitar!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Micaboy;3999243]Taylors are great..I have a 714 myself just one thing about them is the [B]Elixer's do make up a major part of their sound[/B].

Martin's just for fingerstyle? Don't know the D-28 and D-35 are great strummers as well.

He's right on Gibson..very sad, went through a few Songwriter Deluxes in a very short time due to poor QC..

You may want to take a look at a few Larrivee guitars. Canadian but great. Collings are great too.

I say go in for the kill..Go for a custom Froggy Bottom Guitar!!!!!!!!!!:yes:[/QUOTE]

Gotta say I pretty much agree with this even though I stopped playing Elixirs a while ago (too pricey and I change my strings a lot more often now). Elixirs make the Taylor sound GREAT. If you want an alternative brand I hear the Breedlove's are really good. Saw this girl playing one at an open mic, the sound on that thing was pretty impressive. Very well built.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Micaboy;3999243]Taylors are great..I have a 714 myself just one thing about them is the Elixer's do make up a major part of their sound.

I say go in for the kill..Go for a custom Froggy Bottom Guitar!!!!!!!!!!:yes:[/QUOTE]

Those Froggy Bottom guitars do look pretty schweeeeet. :O

I just got back from playing for a couple hours and my first impressions are... Gibson is probably out. I like the sound, but it just didn't pop to me and considering you guys (and the people there) are talking about poor quality control I'll have to move on to Martin vs Taylor.

I loved both... played a ****ton of both.. and I'm quite far from a decision. That said I knew it would take more than one trip and the most important thing I learned is that I absolutely can't go wrong. They are both amazing guitar brands. I really do want the option to play with an amp, but the guy there was saying don't necessarily rule out guitars w/o electronics because you can always get pickups put in or use the temporary pickups.. whatever they are called. For example I definitely liked the HD-28V, but no electronics. What say you guys?

The front runners so far are the Martin OMC-Aura and the Taylor 614ce vs 814ce (can't decide which I like more.) Much more playing to go though.

[QUOTE=southside;3999278]Gotta say I pretty much agree with this even though I stopped playing Elixirs a while ago (too pricey and I change my strings a lot more often now). Elixirs make the Taylor sound GREAT. If you want an alternative brand I hear the Breedlove's are really good. Saw this girl playing one at an open mic, the sound on that thing was pretty impressive. Very well built.[/QUOTE]

They actually had a Breedlove there for 3500.. awesome guitar although IMO not as pretty as the others (especially Taylors.) It sounded like a Martin to me... but I'm not sure I want to spend a dime more than 3k excluding tax which I hope to avoid.

Thanks for all the help.