Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Parcells story: He is content now, Thank God

New Parcells story: He is content now, Thank God

[B][SIZE="3"]Bill Parcells content with status[/SIZE][/B]

I’m enjoying my freedom,” Bill Parcells said last week. “I’m sleeping better these days than I have in the past couple of years.”
    The man who ran the Miami Dolphins for three years — to the chagrin of AFC East opponents and some Miami fans alike — allowed a couple of minutes on the phone because, I imagine, the constant attempts to reach out to him the past 40 months might have finally worn him down.

He has not been part of the Dolphins organization since late October. He had lunch with coach Tony Sparano six weeks or so ago but had not connected with general manager Jeff Ireland since the 2010 season ended.

Parcells is totally disconnected from the Dolphins now. He’s hoping to visit the Dominican Republic this summer to, of all things, check out some baseball academies with a couple of Major League Baseball front-office friends of his.

Keeping busy

He’s going to be working for ESPN leading up to the April 28 NFL Draft but his contribution won’t necessarily be as an analyst of what teams need or should do. His work will be more along the lines of sharing his views about drafting — what he looks for, what positions he values, perhaps even some of the strategies and principles he uses.

(One hint on what to expect from Parcells: He thinks fullbacks are nearly extinct in the NFL.)

And that’s what it will always be about when Dolphins fans think of Bill Parcells: The acquisition of talent. The building of the team. One man’s success or failure in a field that isn’t bounded by yards.

For the record, I believe the Dolphins are better today because of Parcells than they would have been had then-owner Wayne Huizenga not hired him in December 2007.

What? You would have preferred a year or two more of Cam Cameron?

Of course, the cynics, the critics, the haters will argue Parcells failed in Miami because, ultimately, he didn’t win the championship Dolphins fans hoped for.

Parcells won’t argue that. But I would argue he failed in the manner that 28 other NFL teams that didn’t win a Super Bowl from 2008 to 2010 failed. He failed just as Bill Belichick, Ozzie Newsome and Jeff Fisher failed during the same time period.

Perspective is important here.

One AFC East title was not the supposed to be the high mark during Parcells’ years in Miami. But it sure beat what the Dolphins had for years before Parcells arrived. You remember those years, right?

1-15 in 2007.

6-10 in 2006.

That doesn’t matter to Parcells now. He can accept if you don’t appreciate the work he did in Miami. In some regards, I get the idea he doesn’t appreciate some of the work he did in Miami, either.

The Dolphins are, as Parcells would say, what their record says they are. They are mediocre. They are middle of the pack, which is why they’re drafting in the middle of the first round again this spring.

That doesn’t mean the franchise is burning. That doesn’t mean all is lost. The shock jocks paint the Dolphins as the South after Sherman’s march because the imagery incites passion and invites attention.

But 25-23 in three years is hardly embarrassing. It’s the eighth-best record in the 16-team AFC during that stretch. It’s middle of the pack, a status to which the Dolphins rose after being at or near bottom in 2006 and 2007.

Parcells will probably have to answer for his work in Miami during his ESPN show. Perhaps he will address it there with more depth than he did with me. But let’s tackle the highlights now:

Should he have picked quarterback Matt Ryan instead of offensive tackle Jake Long in 2008? Knowing the results, “maybe, we should have,” he said.

But the Long pick, the choice of a player who has been in the Pro Bowl every year he has played and will be Hall of Fame worthy if he continues his current course is difficult to criticize.

Did Parcells make a mistake with Pat White in the second round in 2009?

“We violated our principles,” he admits.

White, coming off a not good, but great college career, coming off a bowl game in which he was the MVP, coming off a Senior Bowl in which he was the MVP, made the Dolphins overlook the fact he looked like a high school quarterback.

Parcells says a fever swept the Dolphins personnel department in the spring of 2009 following their 2008 division title run. Success with the Wildcat package and the proliferation and success of the spread offense in the collegiate game made everyone think White would add a passing threat to Miami’s gimmicky package.

White, in fact, could not complete even one pass. It was and he was a flop.

“He just wasn’t a prototypical quarterback pick,” Parcells said. “He was a great college player, and we let that color our judgment.”

Hits and misses

But there were personnel hits, too. Look at Miami’s defensive line, which is good and deep and among the best in the NFL. Look at Cameron Wake. Look at Vontae Davis, Davone Bess and Dan Carpenter. All are valuable, young and promising.

If you’re going to grade the Parcells years in Miami you have to balance those players who represent improvement along with White and the missteps.

And whatever grade you ultimately give Parcells, high or low or somewhere in between, chances are he will be comfortable with the result. He’s sleeping well these days.

Read more: [url]http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/12/v-print/2162586/bill-parcells-content-with-status.html#ixzz1JJ84SEtd[/url]

Maybe THE most overrated NFL personnel man in history.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... HOF coach ...

... C ... maybe C+ ... buyer of the groceries ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    He and his teams have 2 Trophies, and he tried for more, end of story.

All League
    What a pathetic piece of puff journalism!!! The writer should be ashamed
    of himself, wonder what MIA fans feel about Parcells and the state of
    their franchise??? They got lucky in 2008, they had an easy schedule and
    a gimmick offense that protected a weak arm QB.

[QUOTE=KRL;3998754]What a pathetic piece of puff journalism!!! The writer should be ashamed
    a gimmick offense that protected a weak arm QB.[/QUOTE]

When the "journalist" admits to trying to reach Parcells 40 times for an interview we knew the article was not going to be objective.

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3998753]He and his teams have 2 Trophies, and he tried for more, end of story.[/QUOTE]

How many trophies has he won while he was involved in the front office?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3998801]How many trophies has he won while he was involved in the front office?[/QUOTE]

He is not in mine so I don't care.

All League
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3998732]Maybe THE most overrated NFL personnel man in history.[/QUOTE]

And overrated coach. Egotistical windbag.

Hall Of Fame
    this guy did nothing without Bellichik and Bellichik did plenty without him

All League
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3998851]this guy did nothing without Bellichik and Bellichik did plenty without him[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

To recap; even though his record with the dolphins as 'talent czar' is mediocre he really did a good job because the people who ran the team before him were really awful. So 25-23 and a mediocre draft record is now considered a good job, at least in the eyes of this objective reporter. :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=KRL;3998754]What a pathetic piece of puff journalism!!! The writer should be ashamed
    a gimmick offense that protected a weak arm QB.[/QUOTE]

A link to how their fans feel about Parcells and that garbage article:

[url]http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?297691-Bill-Parcells-content-with-status[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    His specialty was taking bad teams with easy schedules and making them good. Then splitting before the really hard part - winning the Super Bowl.

If he didn't have the Bellichik Defense he'd be considered JAC - Just Another Coach

The best thing he did was get us the classic uniforms back

Jets Insider VIP
    Chad Pennington saved parcells from being an utter disaster in miami.

3 years and 0 playoffs wins?

Thanks to chad, he was only a partial disaster in south beach.

Surprised by all the Parcells hate here. I really thought you guys loved the guy. Spot on criticisms, BTW. I always thought he was a fraud and severely overrated windbag, even though he brought instant legitimacy to a moribund Pats franchise..

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3998851]this guy did nothing without Bellichik and Bellichik did plenty without him[/QUOTE]

And Belichick has done nothing without cheating,. who cares.

:P That's right !!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=child please;3999069]And Belichick has done nothing without cheating,. who cares.[/QUOTE]

You repeat this drivel with every opportunity like a broken record. Do you actually believe this crap, or like a few others here, are you just trying to bait a few resident trolls? For one, I find it hard to believe that anyone could truly be as dimwitted as this ridiculous statement would indicate.

All League
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;3999065]Surprised by all the Parcells hate here. I really thought you guys loved the guy. Spot on criticisms, BTW. I always thought he was a fraud and severely overrated windbag, even though he brought instant legitimacy to a moribund Pats franchise..[/QUOTE]

my opinion of him is that when the going gets tough, he gets going...somewhere else....

he takes a bad team, gets them a little better (or maybe alot better), but as soon as he thinks that the team is not getting any better, or has peaked, he cashes out and goes....somewhere else.

how can you admire someone like that?