Thread: Sources: Pats to host Jake Locker

All League

Sources: Pats to host Jake Locker

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6338894
    VIdeo of John Gruden grilling Locker
    (someone know how to upload the video onto here?)

By James Walker
    ESPN.com

Are the New England Patriots preparing for life without Tom Brady? According to sources, New England is exploring the possibility of adding an eventual successor in this year's NFL draft.

The Patriots are hosting a two-day visit Tuesday and Wednesday with top quarterback prospect Jake Locker of Washington, sources told ESPN.com.

Locker, who threw for 2,265 yards and 17 touchdowns last season, is projected to be a mid-to-late first-round pick.

This year, the Patriots have the No. 17 and No. 28 overall picks, which could afford them the luxury of filling an immediate need as well as potentially drafting a highly rated quarterback in the first round to groom behind Brady, the NFL's reigning Most Valuable Player.
    New England does not have any proven quarterbacks on its roster behind Brady. Backup Brian Hoyer joined the Patriots as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2009 and has thrown for just 264 yards, one touchdown and one interception in his career.

Brady, who will turn 34 in August, is signed with New England through the 2014 season and is still playing at an elite level.

Therefore, the Patriots should have several years to find and develop their quarterback of the future.

last week they said the Colts would plan for life beyond Payton. That's bull.

But I can somewhat buy this rumor. they have a ton of picks, Belly loves to send messages and this would send a doozy to Brady.

theres also a good chance Locker ends up in BUF or MIA

All League
    What I find odd is that the Pats have stayed true to the formula of drafting a QB late in the draft and developing them if there's potential (Matt Cassell, Kevin O'Connell, Kloff Kingsbury, that #12 guy)

It just seems so incongruent to their history for them to bring in Locker unless they thought he was something THAT special, which if he was wouldn't he be going top 5 to a QB-needy team? So to possibly consider a 1st round pick on him (#17?) or knowing they have the ammo to get him if they wanted to seems awry.

Smokescreen?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

they'll take mike coughlin in the seventh round....

Smoke screen for them trading down to all of those teams that want a QB late 1, early 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Smoke screen for them trading down to all of those teams that want a QB late 1, early 2.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    The packers have set a new trend. Draft a qb high when you have an aging superstar. Its actually a great move and would be a smart thing to do for the pats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6338894
    VIdeo of John Gruden grilling Locker
    (someone know how to upload the video onto here?)

By James Walker
    ESPN.com

Are the New England Patriots preparing for life without Tom Brady? According to sources, New England is exploring the possibility of adding an eventual successor in this year's NFL draft.

The Patriots are hosting a two-day visit Tuesday and Wednesday with top quarterback prospect Jake Locker of Washington, sources told ESPN.com.

Locker, who threw for 2,265 yards and 17 touchdowns last season, is projected to be a mid-to-late first-round pick.

This year, the Patriots have the No. 17 and No. 28 overall picks, which could afford them the luxury of filling an immediate need as well as potentially drafting a highly rated quarterback in the first round to groom behind Brady, the NFL's reigning Most Valuable Player.
    New England does not have any proven quarterbacks on its roster behind Brady. Backup Brian Hoyer joined the Patriots as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2009 and has thrown for just 264 yards, one touchdown and one interception in his career.

Brady, who will turn 34 in August, is signed with New England through the 2014 season and is still playing at an elite level.

Therefore, the Patriots should have several years to find and develop their quarterback of the future.

Lots of rumours this time of year. I saw one the other day that had the Pats trading #'s 17 & 28 to the Bills for # 3 where they take Von Miller. I don't buy the Locker talk. They might go for someone like a Stanzi.

Jets Insider VIP
    They want to make him Jake "hide in the opponents' " Locker?

They have already used 1 high pick on a QB in resent years so I wouldn't be shocked if they made it 2. Brian Hoyer is good but not the future. Either way they could use a young #3 encase Brady goes down. I could see them taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds and Locker is likely there. Brady is what now 34 and that line is not what it once was. They need to be thinking 2-3 years down the road. Locker to me seems to be the only guy that will fit their style so it really does make a lot of sense with his stock dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The packers have set a new trend. Draft a qb high when you have an aging superstar. Its actually a great move and would be a smart thing to do for the pats.

Farve was what 36 and talking retirement when they drafted Rogers, Brady is 32 and is in the first year of a 4 year contract. I would not be surprised that some other coach is asking BB for his opinion on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    They have already used 1 high pick on a QB in resent years so I wouldn't be shocked if they made it 2. Brian Hoyer is good but not the future. Either way they could use a young #3 encase Brady goes down. I could see them taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds and Locker is likely there. Brady is what now 34 and that line is not what it once was. They need to be thinking 2-3 years down the road. Locker to me seems to be the only guy that will fit their style so it really does make a lot of sense with his stock dropping.
    so you would use a top 50 pick on a player who will be a FA when Brady retires.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    so you would use a top 50 pick on a player who will be a FA when Brady retires.
    Like the Eagles did with Kolb yeah sure why not. If he even turns out to be a viable BU they would get a 2nd or 3rd round beck so it is a good investment if they like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Like the Eagles did with Kolb yeah sure why not. If he even turns out to be a viable BU they would get a 2nd or 3rd round beck so it is a good investment if they like him.
    Dont compare Brady to McNabb.

They drafted Kolb in 2007 as they did not even know if Mcnabb was going to come back from his season ending ACL injury, remember in 2006 Garcia qb's the eagles.

Enderle in the 5th maybe.