Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL.com / Pat Kirwan MOCK DRAFT

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    d!cklickers on forums???

compared to whom?? the forum gods who chase their tails like a dog defending vernon gholston when it was obvious to the amateur it was bad news from the get-go??? or sat here and clamored for a fat sh!t like terrence cody based on how "awesome" his tape was??? or how about the dopes who never learn- the ones who get excited about olympic type workouts for mediocre players year after year??

considering your sad history and limited knowledge despite grand delusions you got balls referring to others as d!cklickers...

here's a newsflash- Pouha is 32 YO and has been a good player- not an All Pro like tony g....here's more that you don't know about because you've not read it yet- right now Taylor is the Jets guy....could change in the next two weeks but if the draft were held today and he's available @30 that's the way they are going...

not a huge Taylor fan myself but the fact is the guy has top ten ability- whether he'll play to that level every week is another story altogether...
    I'm not sure he will be there (KC could grab him at #21) at #30 but I won't mind if he's there and the Jets select him. Thanks for the info.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Id hate the Phil Taylor in rd 1 pick. He's flat out not a rd1 player. there's nothing athletically that makes him special. (Brooks Reed's 10 yard dash for example or Justin Houston's 37 inch vert). Taylor doesn't offer anything on 3rd and long, he can't pass rush worth a damn. He averages a sack a year in college. But he's the next Jenkins! yeah right.

He doesn't start over Pouha (Nose tackles can go until they are 40 by the way). He might not even be better than Martin Tevaseu. They aren't drafting a 2nd team NT in round 1. They could draft Phil Taylor and keep him inactive for a year.

besides all that Taylor's got serious character and work ethic concerns, scouts say he was over 380 his junior year, Does his motor always run? I'd prefer a player that didn't fail out of his first school thanks. let someone else take this guy.

biggest problem is he went to Baylor. Tanny loves big schools, he just got burned by Boise St and UMass, now he's going to pick baylor? Doubtful.

Phil Taylor is the smoke screen pick for the Jets. Just like Tyron Smith is Dallas' smoke screen, Mark Ingram is the Dolphins' smoke screen Jimmy Smith is the Eagles smoke screen.

Phil Taylor is the guy the JEts WANT people think they are taking, when really they have no interest. At least that's my hope.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Id hate the Phil Taylor in rd 1 pick. He's flat out not a rd1 player. there's nothing athletically that makes him special. (Brooks Reed's 10 yard dash for example or Justin Houston's 37 inch vert). Taylor doesn't offer anything on 3rd and long, he can't pass rush worth a damn.

He doesn't start over Pouha (Nose tackles can go until they are 40 by the way). He might not even be better than Martin Tevaseu. They aren't drafting a 2nd team NT in round 1.

besides all that Taylor's got serious character and work ethic concerns, scouts say he was over 380 his junior year, Does his motor always run? I'd prefer a player that didn't fail out of his first school thanks. let someone else take this guy.

Phil Taylor is the smoke screen pick for the Jets. Just like Tyron Smith is Dallas' smoke screen, Mark Ingram is the Dolphins' smoke screen Jimmy Smith is the Eagles smoke screen.

Phil Taylor is the guy the JEts WANT people think they are taking, when really they have no interest. At least that's my hope.
    Is a better pass rusher than given credit for and seems improved from last season.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...epartment.html

Pass rush: Though his job is usually not to provide primary pass rush, he can push the pocket with strength and flashes quickness off the snap and a swim move to get past lesser centers. Gives good effort to reach the quarterback if he sits in the pocket too long. Tries violent hands to shed blocks. Not very effective on inside twists, though he can take out the left tackle when twisting outside to free up the defensive end. Once stood up by initial contact, it's tough for him to re-start his rush.

Explosion: Explodes from four-point stance into blockers, consistently getting push up front. Gets off low and quick near goal line to set the line backwards. Despite his size, flashes the quickness to penetrate the "A" gap. Requires double-teams to keep him out of the backfield.

Compares to: Kris Jenkins, Jets -- Big and powerful, Taylor projects nicely as an interior player in both the 4-3 and 3-4 alignments. If teams are convinced that the off-field concerns that prompted his transfer out of Penn State are a thing of the past, he could wind up a first-round pick. --Chad Reuter

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1673342

War Room analysis
    Strengths: Is a massive player with the ideal build of a 3-4 nose tackle. Changes directions quickly to beat one-on-one pass blocks. Can drive offensive linemen into the quarterback to force the early pass or get a sack. Has the rare size and strength to hold his ground vs. double-team run blocks. Displays the athleticism to come down the line and make tackles on inside runs.

Weaknesses: Is raw. Has more potential than production. Does not consistently rush the quarterback aggressively. Fails to consistently maintain good leverage throughout the play. Has conditioning issues; tends to wear down in games and does not play with good effort on every snap.

Bottom line: Taylor's value will increase at the next level because of the high number of NFL teams playing 3-4 schemes. He began college at Penn State and was en route to becoming a big part of the team's defense but was dismissed from the team in '08 because of off-field issues. Last offseason, he finally became committed to eating right and working hard in the weight room, which helped him to have a good 2010 season. At the Senior Bowl, he looked bigger and stronger than any of the other linemen but still struggled to consistently be a dominant player because of inconsistent technique and aggressiveness. There is little doubt Taylor has the size, strength and athleticism to be a good nose tackle and likely will be drafted higher than we have him rated. However, spending a first- or second-round pick on a player with off-field issues is always a risk.

PROJECTION:

New York Jets
    Round 1, Pick 30

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/...ers/10021.html

Positive: King-sized defensive lineman who moves well about the field and can dominate the line of scrimmage. Bends his knees, plays with good pad level, and flashes power. Overruns offensive linemen, tosses aside blockers, and plays with good quickness. Keeps his feet moving up the field, fluid changing direction, and is tough to move from his angle of attack. Displays good punch with his hands and knocks blockers away with ease. Better-than-average lateral movement skills.

Negative: Has had a weight problem in the past that resulted in his benching during the 2009 season. Marginally instinctive on the field. Possesses limited moves and does not use his hands well.

Analysis: Taylor has proven to be a dominant force and possesses a terrific combination of size, strength, and athleticism. He has the skills to be used in a variety of systems and the versatility to line up at a number of positions on the defensive line. He offers good upside but comes with character questions and must prove his outstanding 2010 campaign was not an aberration.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2011/DT#Phil Taylor
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-15-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Id hate the Phil Taylor in rd 1 pick. He's flat out not a rd1 player. there's nothing athletically that makes him special. (Brooks Reed's 10 yard dash for example or Justin Houston's 37 inch vert). Taylor doesn't offer anything on 3rd and long, he can't pass rush worth a damn. He averages a sack a year in college. But he's the next Jenkins! yeah right.

He doesn't start over Pouha (Nose tackles can go until they are 40 by the way). He might not even be better than Martin Tevaseu. They aren't drafting a 2nd team NT in round 1. They could draft Phil Taylor and keep him inactive for a year.

biggest problem is he went to Baylor. Tanny loves big schools, he just got burned by Boise St and UMass, now he's going to pick baylor? Doubtful.

I'm sorry, but what made Cody a 1st rounder last year (in your mind), that Taylor doesn't have?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsVault03 View Post
    I'm sorry, but what made Cody a 1st rounder last year (in your mind), that Taylor doesn't have?
    but Cody wasn't a first rounder. I learned from last year.

If it's 3rd and long you don't have either player on the field. can't draft 2 down players in rd1 .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    At the Senior Bowl, he looked bigger and stronger than any of the other linemen but still struggled to consistently be a dominant player because of inconsistent technique and aggressiveness.
    again I also saw this player up close and there was nothing about him that screamed 1st rounder. Any1 could see dominance in Ballard and Reed that Taylor didn't have. I'd be happy with any number of picks (Heyward, Ballard, Reed, Ayers, Wilkerson, Bailey, Sheard) but please not Phil Taylor. It's not even a position Rex needs. Rex needs corners he doesn't need run stuffers. He finds run stuffers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez has trouble getting points on the board early. So we start ponder and bring in Sanchez halfway through the second quarter.

genius.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Kyle Wilson and Ducasse are busts already? Sheesh, tough crowd. Taylor could be the fall back pick if the top end DE's are gone. I don't believe Tanny or his scouts are dumb enough to have a large 'school' bias or at least I hope not. You have to take competition into account when evaluating but it's stupid to avoid schools or have a pre built in bias.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    We should be so lucky to have 5 QB's go in the 1st round

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Kyle Wilson and Ducasse are busts already? Sheesh, tough crowd. Taylor could be the fall back pick if the top end DE's are gone. I don't believe Tanny or his scouts are dumb enough to have a large 'school' bias or at least I hope not. You have to take competition into account when evaluating but it's stupid to avoid schools or have a pre built in bias.
    It's not that Baylor is a small school. It's that they are a crap program. The list of guys from this program is not exciting.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...=0&type=school

and no i dont think Wilson and Ducasse are busts but Tanny wants more out of his picks than what those guys brought as rookies.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    and let me just add from a value perspective, theres a good amount of players similar to Phil Taylor in this draft. Fua and Kenrick Ellis should be in that late 3 area. Other good sleepers include Chris Neild, David Carter, Brandon Bair, Anthony Gray etc. It's not like the OLB pass rush or CB lists where the cupboard is bare by the end of round 2.