Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL NETWORK: Millen & Theismann Out...Mayock In

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL NETWORK: Millen & Theismann Out...Mayock In

I thought Good Friday wasn't until next week. :D

[QUOTE][B]NFL Network adds Mike Mayock to game coverage; Gus Johnson next?[/B]

The NFL Network's game coverage is getting a serious makeover.

SI.com has learned that Mike Mayock will join the NFL Network's broadcast team for its eight-game Thursday Night Football package. He will replace Matt Millen and Joe Theismann on the broadcast.

When contacted Thursday afternoon by SI.com, an NFL Network spokesperson declined to comment.

The network's next move for those games revolves around the play-by-play position. Bob Papa is a respected game-caller and has had held the job for the past two seasons, but sources tell SI.com that NFL Network is considering other broadcasters, including CBS and Big Ten announcer Gus Johnson, who currently calls NFL games for CBS (with analyst Steve Tasker) and served as the Lions play-by-play voice during the 2008 preseason. Johnson has become a favorite among the under-35 crowd for his hyper-intensity during the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

No formal announcement on Mayock or any other possible changes is expected for a number of weeks.

Mayock is one of the rising stars in sports broadcasting. He is considered by most fans as television's leading NFL draft analyst and last year replaced Pat Haden as the analyst on NBC's Notre Dame football coverage. He also served as the analyst, alongside Tom Hammond, on NBC's coverage of the wild-card playoff game between the New Orleans Saints and Seattle Seahawks last season.

Millen was named an NFL Network game analyst in 2009, joining Papa in the booth. Theismann was added last season. Both Millen and Theismann were polarizing figures, often drawing the ire of fans on Twitter and other social media outlets. The addition of Mayock will be greeted positively in many corners.

Since grabbing a share of the NFL's game package, NFL Network has gone through a number of announcing teams for its Thursday Night Football program. HBO's Bryant Gumbel was the network's first play-by-play announcer and lasted two seasons before leaving in 2008. He was replaced by Papa, the voice of the New York Giants.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/04/14/nfl-network-mike-mayock/index.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Score.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some people say Matt Millen had no credibility as an announcer because he was the worst GM in the history of pro football. I say phuck that. Hearing someone with a double digit IQ talk about something they don't understand is entertaining as hell. That's why Glenn Beck's ratings were so good.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... glad to hear this :clapper: ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    just have it be eisen deion and mayock...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please get rid of Papa. He is the most BORING announcer I've ever heard. He should stick to radio.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    best news of this offseason, bar none (except for the Gus Johnson part).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winning.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK FOX, fire Aikman and Buck now.......

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe Theisman was the WORST. THE WORST. THE ABSOLUTE WORST. Thank the good lord that he's going bye bye.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep, i know i watch football because of the announcers and colored commentators. what a total waste of reporting time. who cares.

i'm sure favre will be called by someone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    bye..bye

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru47OkDKzxg&feature=related[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    great to have both motormouth and the franchise destroyer off the NFL network telecasts

would be even better if those two stinking cable thieves -- Time Warner and the F-ing Dolans would allow those of us in the Big Apple to actually watch the NFL Network

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4002135]Joe Theisman was the WORST. THE WORST. THE ABSOLUTE WORST. Thank the good lord that he's going bye bye.[/QUOTE]

I agree. He was always a horrible announcer but he spoke pure hatred about the Jets the entire Thanksgiving day game... I seriously wanted to put my TV on mute and never listen to that guy again. It was a great game but he found a way to ruin some of that fun from the game. Maybe it's just because I was a little too drunk from being around all the family and having fun that night, but I remember Joe being a real prick. Maybe I'm going over board but I'm just glad to see this guy gone.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4002128]OK FOX, fire Aikman and Buck now.......[/QUOTE]

+1

Let Troy Pom-Poms root for his precious cowboys on his own friggin dime.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4002268]bye..bye

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru47OkDKzxg&feature=related[/url][/QUOTE]

That was actually funny as hell!!! I laughed my azz off.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    still cracks me up no matter how many times it gets played

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    best NFL news all offseason, might actually watch Thursday night football without mute now

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4002258]yep, i know i watch football because of the announcers and [B]colored[/B] commentators. what a total waste of reporting time. who cares.

i'm sure favre will be called by someone.[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek: