Thread: NFL Draft Rumors- 4/15/11

Jets Insider VIP

NFL Draft Rumors- 4/15/11

NFL Draft Rumors: It’s Getting Ugly
    By Bassett on Apr 15, 2011, 12:00 pm

With the draft just a few weeks away, and teams unable to fill needs before the draft via free agency, it seems like the chatter is getting just a tad uglier than most other years.

DT Nick Fairley // Auburn (Top 10) – Fairley has been dropping down mock draft boards somewhat of late, but now word is spreading that he’s been late to meetings with teams, an allegation which his agent has vehemently denied.

DT Phil Taylor // Baylor (1st Round) – There are concerns about his work ethic, and emotional balance, and might cause teams to pause before drafting him if they are concerned he’s not going to work hard enough to keep himself in the shape he needs to for a player his size.

DE Cameron Heyward // Ohio State (1st Round) – Sounds like the Ravens might be very high on Heyward, who they feel could contribute initially on third downs and then more in other capacities. Heyward might not project as well as some other players, but he’s more of a “sure thing” than some of the other guys at the end of the round, which would make sense why Ozzie Newsome would take him with the 26th pick.

RB Mark Ingram // Alabama (???) – For the longest time, Ingram was pegged at #15 overall to the Dolphins by EVERYONE. Now? Not so much. He seems to be in free fall down draft boards as teams are concerned about his knees and how he’d fit team’s schemes. Greg Cosell thinks he’s not even the top ranked RB anymore.

DT Marvin Austin // UNC (2nd Round) – Fresh off his Cam Newton comments, PFW’s Nawrocki has now printed this gem from an NFL scout describing Austin, that he’s a "finger-pointing, excuse-making con artist." According to scouts, Austin has not taken enough responsibility for the improper gifts taken by players at UNC, calling him the “ringleader.” Expect him to be picked in the late second or third round.

WR Leonard Hankerson // Miami (2nd Round) – Kiper has said that he’s “heard” Hankerson is garnering third round grades from teams. He might be available to the Jets if that’s case, but it’s very unlikely since they draft so late in the round.

RB Taiwan Jones // Eastern Washington (2nd Round) – Jones has struggled to stay healthy, but even at his agent’s “90%” yesterday he ran some impressive 40 times … clocking a potential record this year at the spot with a 4.32 at his Pro Day. Some say he’s the single best open-field runner in this draft class. The Jets have made it clear they’re looking for a diminutive runner who can handle special teams duties, but his times yesterday might have taken him out of the running for the Jets with the gap between the 30th pick and their third rounder.

Stephen Paea // Oregon State (2nd-3rd Round) – Dan Pompei in Chicago hears that Paea isn’t climbing draft boards, like NFP’s Wes Bunting had indicated. Teams are sharing concerns about his size, his play in 2010, and the fact that he’s not a pass-rusher.

DE-OLB Brooks Reed // Arizona (3rd Round) – Nawrocki noted that teams are shocked to see him getting graded out in the first two rounds. He’s got short arms, gets “velcroed” to blocks and just doesn’t have the all-round skill sets to make him a high pick.

Five or Six First Round QBs? – Adam Schein was surprised by what Mark Dominik told him on Sirius. The Bucs GM thinks this could realistically happen. If so? That just means that there’s more tasty options for the Jets when it’s their turn to pick. Unfortunately, there’s not a high likelihood the Jets would be able to trade out, with Pittsburgh, Green Bay and New England as the “Amen Corner” behind them for teams looking to snag a QB. Unless a jittery team wants to jump ahead of another team who might trade up to get their guy, it’s going to be hard for the Jets to trade out of the spot for a team looking for a QB.

All Pro
    virtually every one of these, i already posted in the thread called.... wait for it... Daily News.

Feel free post stuff yourself if you'd like, but the idea was to keep everything in one thread so it was easy to find...

just sayin.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-15-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    WR Leonard Hankerson // Miami (2nd Round) – Kiper has said that he’s “heard” Hankerson is garnering third round grades from teams. He might be available to the Jets if that’s case, but it’s very unlikely since they draft so late in the round.

Stephen Paea // Oregon State (2nd-3rd Round) – Dan Pompei in Chicago hears that Paea isn’t climbing draft boards, like NFP’s Wes Bunting had indicated. Teams are sharing concerns about his size, his play in 2010, and the fact that he’s not a pass-rusher.

DE-OLB Brooks Reed // Arizona (3rd Round) – Nawrocki noted that teams are shocked to see him getting graded out in the first two rounds. He’s got short arms, gets “velcroed” to blocks and just doesn’t have the all-round skill sets to make him a high pick.
    I disagree with these three characterizations. Hank was money at the Senior Bowl and then ran a 4.4 at Indy. What more do we want the guy to do? Paea ran a full set of drills at his pro day, 8 weeks after surgery and worked out great. He's not a pass rusher why does he have 13 career sacks? Why was he the 2x pac 10 player of the year? As for Reed I don't want to sound like a broken record but he also had a great senior bowl and a great combine. His 1.5 second 10 yard split with 30+ reps of 225 is worthy of a high pick. It's faster than Von Miller.

put it another way if these players go late 2nd and 3rd round, someone's getting a steal

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I disagree with these three characterizations. Hank was money at the Senior Bowl and then ran a 4.4 at Indy. What more do we want the guy to do? Paea ran a full set of drills at his pro day, 8 weeks after surgery and worked out great. He's not a pass rusher why does he have 13 career sacks? Why was he the 2x pac 10 player of the year? As for Reed I don't want to sound like a broken record but he also had a great senior bowl and a great combine. His 1.5 second 10 yard split with 30+ reps of 225 is worthy of a high pick. It's faster than Von Miller.

put it another way if these players go late 2nd and 3rd round, someone's getting a steal
    1. As to what more Hankerson can do...:
    - Have looser hips.
    - Be bigger.
    - Be stronger.

D'you realize how many good college WRs who ran in the 4.4s have NOT gone in the first round? It's a hard position to stand out at, and Hankerson is more of a TJ Housh or Jerricho Cotchery than he is a Dwayne Bowe or better.

2. Paea is a short DT with short arms who doesn't play at much over 300...and he doesn't have a wide base at all so he's not really a NT candidate. Plenty of reason for him to fall...he actually sounds like a better version of Trevor Laws. He's a very scheme specific player as a first or second round pick IMO.

3. No one cares that Brooks Reed ran his first 10 yards at the combine faster than Von Miller. Von Miller could run circles around Reed for hours. That's just hack analysis man and you have to know that if you've been doing this draft stuff for so long. Scouts know Reed put up good workout numbers. Putting up good workout numbers does not make you a better on field player.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    That's just hack analysis man and you have to know that if you've been doing this draft stuff for so long. Scouts know Reed put up good workout numbers. Putting up good workout numbers does not make you a better on field player.
    I saw Brooks Reed in the Pit, at a range of about 10 yards. He was blowing people up. The workout numbers only confirm how much ass he kicks.

Paea doesn't appeal to 3-4 teams that is true but he's a better 4-3 prospect than Liuget.

I dont think Hank is a slam dunk to go rd1 but he's not going in the 3rd either.

Ingram is a strange guy to project if you asked me before the combine I would have said he was top ten material and that he was back 100%. After the combine it was obvious he is not the same player he was a year ago. That was why I had him fall to the Pats. Without that extra edge there just isn't a whole lot that makes him special. I can still see him going in the top 16 of dropping to the late 2nd. Guys like Hunter, Murray, Leshoure, and Williams may seem like less risky options to a few teams. Right now I think too many people are just thinking he will be a bust.