Thread: Sort of O.T. top corners in 3 drafts

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Sort of O.T. top corners in 3 drafts

Wondering if you guys can help me settle an argument. I'm arguing with someone, we'll call him a knowledgeable friend, about top corners (he thinks revis is bum)

so i'm wondering who you guys think are the top 5 CBs right now with 3 or less seasons under their belts..

some names that come to mind are;

Brandon Flowers
    D. Cromartie-Rodgers
    Christopher Owens
    Joe Haden
    J. Powers
    L. Webb
    V. Davis
    Talib i suppose

has mike jenkins really been worth mentioning?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What exactly is the argument? My ranks...

IMHO...

Top Corners from 2008 Draft:

1. Brandon Flowers
    2. Antoine Cason
    3. Tracy Porter
    4. Aqib Talib
    5. DRC
    6. Terrell Thomas

Looking back at things, this was actually a pretty decent crop of CBs with the top players primarily coming in the first 2 rounds. Very few busts early on until of course you get the two bobos Belichick scooped up in the 2nd & 4th rounds -- Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite

Top CBs from 2009:

1. Vontae Davis
    2. Ladarius Webb
    3. Jerraud Powers

uhh...uhm...Bradley Fletcher starts for the Rams, Keenan Lewis and Chris Owens are nickel/dime guys, Belichick drafts another iffy CB in the 2nd (Butler)

Overall, this year sucks compared to 2008. Davis is pretty good and the only one that is in the same territory as 2008's top four guys. Malcom Jenkins is the sickest, but although he was drafted as a CB he is more of a free safety/slot corner guy for the Saints.

Most impressive guys from 2010 draft (too early to make much judgment yet):

1. Devin McCourty
    2. Joe Haden
    3. Perrish Cox

Then there's also guys like Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson, and Patrick Robinson who struggled but are capable of showing legitimate progress in year 2.

Overall I'd rank them like this:

1. Brandon Flowers
    2. Vontae Davis
    3. Antoine Cason
    4. Devin McCourty
    5. Tracy Porter

I think Flowers has entrenched himself as a top 6 CB in the NFL...I remembered him immediately as a rookie in '08 as the guy who put Brett Favre on MTV's "PUNK'D" for four quarters. He's gotten even better since. Davis has the potential to do be an elite cover corner as well. The other three are solid, above average starters that will play for a while.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Wondering if you guys can help me settle an argument. I'm arguing with someone, we'll call him a knowledgeable friend, about top corners (he thinks revis is bum)

so i'm wondering who you guys think are the top 5 CBs right now with 3 or less seasons under their belts..

some names that come to mind are;

Brandon Flowers
    D. Cromartie-Rodgers
    Christopher Owens
    Joe Haden
    J. Powers
    L. Webb
    V. Davis
    Talib i suppose

has mike jenkins really been worth mentioning?
    If he thinks Revis is a bum I wouldn't even talk to him about CBs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

Top CBs from 2009:

1. Vontae Davis
    2. Ladarius Webb
    3. Jerraud Powers

uhh...uhm...Bradley Fletcher starts for the Rams, Keenan Lewis and Chris Owens are nickel/dime guys, Belichick drafts another iffy CB in the 2nd (Butler)

Overall, this year sucks compared to 2008. Davis is pretty good and the only one that is in the same territory as 2008's top four guys. Malcom Jenkins is the sickest, but although he was drafted as a CB he is more of a free safety/slot corner guy for the Saints.

1. Devin McCourty
    2. Joe Haden
    3. Perrish Cox
    Well it was challenge for him to tell who he thinks are the best CBs of the new gen in the last couple. I isolated down to 2009 and up until later today i gave him 2008 because he was *****in

I agree with most of what you said, though Cox is already going to going to prison it looks like, and it think by the year's end, Haden was clearly the top Corner.

Webb and Powers have been good, i think you're short changing Owens, he moved up from nickel to the 2nd corner if i'm not mistaken. Derek Cox anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Well he just thinks Revis doesn't do enough. still ranks Bailey and Samuel above him. Keeps shoving Lott numbers in my face.

I think going from 2009 and up i'd go

1 - Davis
    2 - Haden
    3 - Webb
    4 - Powers
    5 - Owens

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    your friend is a moron

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

IMHO...

Top Corners from 2008 Draft:

1. Brandon Flowers
    2. Antoine Cason
    3. Tracy Porter
    4. Aqib Talib
    5. DRC
    6. Terrell Thomas

Looking back at things, this was actually a pretty decent crop of CBs with the top players primarily coming in the first 2 rounds. Very few busts early on until of course you get the two bobos Belichick scooped up in the 2nd & 4th rounds -- Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite

Top CBs from 2009:

1. Vontae Davis
    2. Ladarius Webb
    3. Jerraud Powers

1. Devin McCourty
    2. Joe Haden
    3. Perrish Cox

Then there's also guys like Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson, and Patrick Robinson who struggled but are capable of showing legitimate progress in year 2.

Overall I'd rank them like this:

1. Brandon Flowers
    2. Vontae Davis
    3. Antoine Cason
    4. Devin McCourty
    5. Tracy Porter

I think Flowers has entrenched himself as a top 6 CB in the NFL...I remembered him immediately as a rookie in '08 as the guy who put Brett Favre on MTV's "PUNK'D" for four quarters. He's gotten even better since. Davis has the potential to do be an elite cover corner as well. The other three are solid, above average starters that will play for a while.
    Jacoby Ford serious destroyed any myth of Brandon flowers being a top Cb. He might be a solid starting CB , but he is far from being an elite Cb in this league. That was some fantasy site that was overblowing Brandon Flowers(early in the year as the best Cb) As the season went on all that talk quickly dissapeared. (it became a joke)

JMO Its so hard to put out a top young CB in the game, as alot of teams don't put the pressure on their Cb's like The Jets, Raiders and Packers)
    Those three team are playing a higher percentage of times in man to man coverage(leaving there cb's on an island). For Example for years Ronde Barber was considered a great Cb but he could only thrive in a cover two scheme. You ask Ronde Barber to play in a system like i mention(man to man and he would get abused . Jmo You have to take that in consideration when your formulating your top Cb's.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-16-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    +1..why bother

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Well he just thinks Revis doesn't do enough. still ranks Bailey and Samuel above him. Keeps shoving Lott numbers in my face.
    well why don't you find the stats/#s what WRs have done against him the past 2 yrs..If that doesn't open his eyes noting will

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Past 3 years? 5 of them?

1: Vontae Davis - He's no Revis, but he's a freak.

2: Joe Haden - Sick man to man corner. Tons of potential moving forward.

3: Devin McCourty

4: Brandon Flowers

5: Antoine Cason

Haden's rookie year was underrated as hell...Flowers is the next Antoine Winfield.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-16-2011 at 11:50 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    well why don't you find the stats/#s what WRs have done against him the past 2 yrs..If that doesn't open his eyes noting will
    no, it's not a matter of him being uneducated. He plays corner himself. He's a big play only kind of guy. refuses to think Revis is special cause he doesn't pick off enough passes, disrupt enough plays, etc etc. Overall he's not the biggest fan of man-man cover corners.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Past 3 years? 5 of them?

1: Vontae Davis - He's no Revis, but he's a freak.

2: Joe Haden - Sick man to man corner. Tons of potential moving forward.

3: Devin McCourty

4: Brandon Flowers

5: Antoine Cason

Haden's rookie year was underrated as hell...Flowers is the next Antoine Winfield.
    forget 2008, last 2 years. I'm with you about Haden. Davis is the only guy who's played better. and i think Haden leap frog's him in 2011

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There have been a lot of very good guys in the last few years. If I had to rank them it would look like this.

1. Perrish Cox
    2. Kareem Jackson
    3. DRC
    4. Joe Haden
    5. Devin McCourty
    6. Terrell Thomas
    7. Jerraud Powers
    8. Josh Wilson
    9. Vontae Davis
    10. Brandon Flowers

HM Antoine Cason, Derek Cox, Aqib Talib, D.J. Moore, Greg Toler, Leodis McKelvin, Javier Arenas, Brandon Carr, Lardarius Webb, Alphonso Smith, Darius Butler, and Kyle Wilson

I know I'm leaving a few out but damn.