Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: free agent pass rushers

free agent pass rushers

anybody think there could be a chance the jets let holmes or cromartie walk and instead sign a big free agent pass rusher like charles johnson from carolina or mathias kiwanuka? maybe use that draft pick on another need like a DB instead of trying to draft a starting pass rusher at 30?

[QUOTE=cant wait;4002383]anybody think there could be a chance the jets let holmes or cromartie walk and instead sign a big free agent pass rusher like charles johnson from carolina or mathias kiwanuka? maybe use that draft pick on another need like a DB instead of trying to draft a starting pass rusher at 30?[/QUOTE]

I think the Jets should let Cro walk. Cro played well in the beginning of the year and then died off towards the end. I think the Jets should try to resign Holmes but if he doesn't want to be hear and just wants a contract the Fhim. At least Braylon has continuously stated that he wants to be a Jet.

As far as a pass rusher, I believe we have to pick up a big time pass rusher at all costs. If that means letting Cro or Holmes walk then so be it.

the Jets are going to be focused on signing their own players... especially Harris and the 2 WR.

fwiw the Jets did sign a pass rusher... Garrett McIntyre from CFL.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4002427]the Jets are going to be focused on signing their own players... especially[B] Harris [/B]and the 2 WR.

fwiw the Jets did sign a pass rusher... Garrett McIntyre from CFL.[/QUOTE]

I thought this was already done.....Am I missing something here??:confused::eek:

[QUOTE=MarkyMarkSanchez;4002430]I thought this was already done.....Am I missing something here??:confused::eek:[/QUOTE]

they franchised him but common wisdom has them signing him long term asap. I don't know all the details but something about they couldn't give him a raise under the old CBA?

[QUOTE=bitonti;4002445]they franchised him but common wisdom has them signing him long term asap. I don't know all the details but something about they couldn't give him a raise under the old CBA?[/QUOTE]

The 30% rule was the barrier. Since Harris was a 2nd round pick, as opposed to Revis, Brick and Mangold, he had a lower final year salary.

More realistic scenario. Build up the D-line and resign Cro. Pouha, Ellis and Devito are all fine players but none could ever wreak havoc like Kris Jenkins did early in '09. Find someone like that in the draft to go with Rex's blitzing schemes and Revis and Cro at CB and you won't need a superstar pass rusher.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4002394]I think the Jets should let Cro walk. Cro played well in the beginning of the year and then died off towards the end. .[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with this. What is the story on Garrett Mcintyre?

Practice Squad

Cutting Cro loose

If we don;t sign him I'll be really PO'd.

We gave up THIS YEAR'S #2 for him and he[ll be off the roster before teh season starts!

we did the same this with Favre. He was off our roster before we paid the the draft compensation. That's NO WAY tio run an airline. Bottom line is that if we didn't plan to sign these guys to deals we had no business trading foir them.

The same thing applies to Holmes.

[QUOTE=STL Jet fan;4002606]I have no problem with this. What is the story on Garrett Mcintyre?[/QUOTE]

Won't be a big impact if he even makes the team. Big effort, always plays hard kind of guy but he's no Cam Wake. I liked him in the CFL but I just don't think he has the physical attributes to have any kind of impact.

[QUOTE=BUD329;4002608]If we don;t sign him I'll be really PO'd.

We gave up THIS YEAR'S #2 for him and he[ll be off the roster before teh season starts!

we did the same this with Favre. He was off our roster before we paid the the draft compensation. That's NO WAY tio run an airline. Bottom line is that if we didn't plan to sign these guys to deals we had no business trading foir them.

The same thing applies to Holmes.[/QUOTE]

Letting Cro go will make a position of srength a real weakness for qb's to exploit. Prefer to resign our own guys then pick up passrushers in the draft rather than expensive free agents.

I think the guys on the outside looking in are certainly Brad Smith and then Cro. It's already been mentioned by Tanny that he wants to resign both Braylon and Santonio. He's got to keep the weapons for Mark's development.

I would say based on Cro's 18 kids, he must go for the big bucks and be able to make his child support payments. That means he's almost certainly a goner because the Jets just cannot pay that for number 2 CB. Brad Smith will surely get insane money from another team. They'll offer to pay him way more than he is worth.

I think the team should grab Chansi Stuckey back from Cleveland. He's still young, he's still got great hands, and he's still a very good ST player. Nice consolation prize IMO.

Tanny should a grab a serviceable veteran to man the number 2 CB spot and use the savings to go after shoring up the front seven. Draft a great, young pass rushing DE. Draft the future NT replacement for Kris Jenkins.

At end of the day, the surest way to make your secondary look elite is to generate a lot of pressure from your front seven. If the QB doesn't have time to throw the secondary doesn't need to hold coverage as long. Revis will in effect take one side of the field away even when the pass rush isn't working.

Jets Insider VIP
    way too much speculation about something that nobody on the planet knows what is really going to happen until the boys stop posturing for the medoa amd staring silently at each other in Minnesota in required mediation and actually decide that both sides want to get something done

Jets Insider VIP
    just my opinion

I wouldnt let Holmes or Cro go for either or both Kiwanuka and Johnson

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4002633]Brad Smith will surely get insane money from another team. They'll offer to pay him way more than he is worth.

[/QUOTE]

Brad Smith's value has taken a big hit this off season with the new kick off rules ... I don't see anyone throwing mega bucks at a kick returner for that reason. Other than that he's a wildcat QB - nice if you like that sort of thing - and meh at WR.

Johnson could very well be a one year wonder, no thanks on him.

As for Kiwi, he's injury prone. No thank you on him, either.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=124;4002660]Johnson could very well be a one year wonder, no thanks on him.

As for Kiwi, he's injury prone. No thank you on him, either.[/QUOTE]

+1

neither of them are worth not signing Holmes or Cro

the more i think about it the more i'm actually leaning towards resigning cro...i'm not comfortable w/ giving up a 2nd round pick for a one year rental

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4002712]the more i think about it the more i'm actually leaning towards resigning cro...i'm not comfortable w/ giving up a 2nd round pick for a one year rental[/QUOTE]

Yep

All Pro
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4002712]the more i think about it the more i'm actually leaning towards resigning cro...i'm not comfortable w/ giving up a 2nd round pick for a one year rental[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean, and I certainly don't like giving away the pick, but it's already gone.

They can't let that pick force them into signing him.

If he's asking for too much money, it just won't work. At some point doing all of these conditional trades is going to come back to bite you, and it looks like this one might have been it.

Losing the 3rd rounder wouldn't hurt so bad. Losing the 2nd rounder sucks.