Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SO just to get it straight re. Gholston comparisons

All League

SO just to get it straight re. Gholston comparisons

So Allen Bailey and Cameron Heyward are both Vernon Gholston 2.0, and now so is Justin Houston?

So any well built black kid who is seen as a tweener DE/OLB is now "Gholston 2.0"?

Man, we better draft Brooks Reed - he has hair like Clay Matthews....

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    So Allen Bailey and Cameron Heyward are both Vernon Gholston 2.0, and now so is Justin Houston?

So any well built black kid who is seen as a tweener DE/OLB is now "Gholston 2.0"?

Man, we better draft Brooks Reed - he has hair like Clay Matthews....
    Who said Heyward is like Gholston?? I have never seen that posted here... outside of the OSU connection it's a really terrible one to make. Oh and btw neither Bailey or Heyward are DE/OLB tweeners, that assertion makes your post sound wildly uninformed...

Yeah, I have no idea where some of the comments from the op came from???

I've seen people make the "no more OSU DEs" argument on here about Heyward, but I haven't seen Bailey or Houston compared to He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

Best candidates to Gholston:

Justin Houston
    Aldon Smith
    Brooks Reed (if someone were to take him in the first, which they won't)

I compared Bailey to Gholston. The big advantage he has over Gholston is that he'll probably stay on the line in a 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Best candidates to Gholston:

Justin Houston
    Aldon Smith
    Brooks Reed (if someone were to take him in the first, which they won't)

I compared Bailey to Gholston. The big advantage he has over Gholston is that he'll probably stay on the line in a 3-4.
    Also Miami's now crappy coaching has made it so that when their players reach the NFL they realize some or a lot of their potential.

All Pro
    goddammit... Gholston gonna be come one of those "names" that industry folk use..

there's a risk of the "ghoston factor" here with this kid...

The ONLY guy i've heard Gholston's name thrown around with is Dontay Moch, DE/OLB from Nevada

10/8/10: Moch had a lot of hype entering the season with his elite speed and athleticism, but he really has no clue how to play football, and on tape he reminded me of Vernon Gholston. He has absolutely no instincts and is very soft. He is the definition of a workout warrior. I'm not sold on him as an 3-4 rush linebacker either because he his instincts really hurt him and all he can do is use his first step and speed rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    goddammit... Gholston gonna be come one of those "names" that industry folk use..

there's a risk of the "ghoston factor" here with this kid...

The ONLY guy i've heard Gholston's name thrown around with is Dontay Moch, DE/OLB from Nevada
    I hate when guys say yada yada he is soft gholston was just like that. Bunch of bull, those same guys were probably going on about how awesome the guy would be prior to that draft. He was considered an elite prospect b/c he had the athleticism AND the production to back up that same athleticism.

Same guy who you quoted had this to say about gholston prior to the draft:

After posting an incredible 40 time at Indianapolis, most people expected Vernon Gholston to rest on his laurels. That wasn't the case at Ohio State's Pro Day. Gholston actually improved his 40, notching a 4.58. He also had a 42-inch vertical. There is no doubt in mind that if Chris Long is off the board, the Rams will take Gholston with the second-overall selection.

I'm glad I predicted Gholston to go second in my 2008 NFL Mock Draft prior to the combine. Gholston was every bit as good as Chris Long, running a 4.64, benching 225 pounds 37 times, jumping 35.5 inches off the ground. He also had a broad jump of 10'5", which is much better than Gaines Adams' sub-10. There's no doubt in my mind that unless Chris Long is on the board, the Rams are going with Gholston. It just makes too much sense at this point.

Gholston had a great game against Michigan, beating Jake Long on more than one instance.

Vernon Gholston essentially came out of nowhere to record 8.5 sacks in 2006. How will he fare now that offensive coordinators will be focusing on him? Remember, Quinn Pitcock, David Patterson and Jay Richardson all left for the NFL.
    Last edited by TheMo; 04-17-2011 at 12:26 PM.

maybe im insane but i still think Gholston will have a good NFL career. He never fit in this defense. in a 4-3 coming off the weakside he could be decent.

there's alot of 4-3 DE in this draft who might not fit in this defense. it's tough to find these players and certain guys like Pace, Thomas and mike vrabel took 5-7 years to make the conversion.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Who said Heyward is like Gholston?? I have never seen that posted here... outside of the OSU connection it's a really terrible one to make. Oh and btw neither Bailey or Heyward are DE/OLB tweeners, that assertion makes your post sound wildly uninformed...
    In the past 3 days here at JI I have seen posts comparing Allen Bailey and Justin Houston to Gholston, and due to the OSU link, I've seen Heyward get the gholston comparison for months....

As for me being "wildly informed", I honestly have no idea who should be thought of as a 4-3 DE/ 3-4 OLB hybrid - but going by track record, neither do most NFL teams.

Oh, and btw, your assesrtion about my "assertion" just makes your post sound wildly douchebaggy....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    maybe im insane but i still think Gholston will have a good NFL career. He never fit in this defense. in a 4-3 coming off the weakside he could be decent.

there's alot of 4-3 DE in this draft who might not fit in this defense. it's tough to find these players and certain guys like Pace, Thomas and mike vrabel took 5-7 years to make the conversion.
    Sometimes you make so much sense and other times you're out there on Gilligan's Island.When you draft a player in the 3rd,4th and 5th round you can afford to give them 4 or 5 yrs to develop.Pace and Thomas showed enough during their 1st contract to warrant looking at further.Gholston showed zilch,but i like you believe that in the right scheme with the pressure of being a top 10 pick now gone,he can resurect his career.He may not be a star,but he has the chance to show he's not the bum so many believe him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    In the past 3 days here at JI I have seen posts comparing Allen Bailey and Justin Houston to Gholston, and due to the OSU link, I've seen Heyward get the gholston comparison for months....

As for me being "wildly informed", I honestly have no idea who should be thought of as a 4-3 DE/ 3-4 OLB hybrid - but going by track record, neither do most NFL teams.

Oh, and btw, your assesrtion about my "assertion" just makes your post sound wildly douchebaggy....
    Not on these forums you haven't. Heyward has been almost universally endorsed as a guy we would love to have fall to us.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

I think Gholston could do something one day too. Someone like the Raiders or Redskins or anyone could/should give him a shot.

All League
    (Dante)Moch had a lot of hype entering the season with his elite speed and athleticism, ... and on tape he reminded me of Vernon Gholston. He has absolutely no instincts and is very soft. He is the definition of a workout warrior.
    Just wanted to add the latest player to be compared to the Ghost....

calling a player the next "gholston" is a lazy comparison. no matter who it is... I've done it as well... it's a short hand way to talk about a jacked player who gets tons of sacks but will still fail.

I don't buy it. the league will still take players with sack production and in good shape and Gholston doesn't ruin it for these players. the league isn't gonna throw out all the 40 yard dash times and single season sack records because of Gholston. They aren't gonna make Bruce Miller a 1st rounder cause he "aint gholston"

I also think it's especially lazy to compare Houston to Gholston, when Houston played a full year at linebacker. bring up any youtube from Houston in 2010 he looks more natural and fluid at LB than Gholston ever did.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    The five worst tags you can place on a potential draftee

1. Child molester
    2. Reminds me of Gholston
    3. Serial Killer
    4. Frequents Gay bathhouses
    5. Shoots Heroin
    flip flop one and two and you nailed it in order

All League
    I like Justin Houston. I think the dude is a good player - he can play the position of OLB, he can rush the passer, and he did it in the SEC, the most physically violent, physically talented conference in all of the NCAA.

I also heard on Sirius NFL that the dude is tough and can be "nasty" and loves the game. I wouldn't cry if the Jets picked him.

Justin Houston seems more agile and able to turn the corner on a OT unlike Gholston.

I don't care about coverage, even the Jets said that the ability to rush the passer is what they look for, dropping into coverage is not what they will do often.

It seems like elite pass rushers have good 3-cone times and Houston has a great one.

But I haven't seen enough, I am going to trust the Jets on who they take.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Oops:

A four-year starter for the Buckeyes, Heyward enjoyed a breakout 2009 junior season only to struggle in 2010, recording only four sacks. Physically he has all the tools to be a defensive monster. However, I can’t help but be reminded of the 2008 draft where the Jets selected another Ohio State defensive end sixth overall who wowed scouts with his physical prowess. I’m referring to non-other than the original sack master, Vernon Gholston
    Maybe you should, oh, read the boards before insulting people. That paragraph is from bith the Main Page of this website (Meet the Prospects) as well as the "Landing Strip"....and thats just ONE example of Heyward getting the Gholston comparison.

As for me being "wildly uninformed", so, none of the 3-4 teams are conmsidering Bailey as an OLB? Heyward isn't considered "versatile" with his ability to play anywhere on the DL in different situations, and in the Rex defense would DEFINITELY be lined up at OLB for a good portion of the time?

Look, I'm neither making a "Gholston Comparison", nor am I agreeing with it. But if you read the "boards" here, there are plenty of people comparing every DE/OLB prospect with Vernon, and in my opinion its both stupid and lazy, not to mention tired at this point....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    The five worst tags you can place on a potential draftee

1. Child molester
    2. Reminds me of Gholston
    3. Serial Killer
    4. Frequents Gay bathhouses
    5. Shoots Heroin
    6. Better Athlete than Football Player