Thread: Teams are red-flagging DT Phil Taylor's feet

Teams are red-flagging DT Phil Taylor's feet

Posted on: April 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Every year there are players who slip on draft day and leave all of us befuddled. Later, we typically find out that the player had medical concerns pop up, leading to the unfortunate drop.

Injury concerns have led to unstable stock for Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers and Alabama running back Mark Ingram this year. They aren't the only first round talents being downgraded due to medical red-flags, I'm being told.

Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor, himself a veteran of 43 games played, is also under scrutiny. Apparently during his Combine check, there were various injuries that caused teams some concern, the most serious of which involves both feet.

Taylor, according to MRIs taken at the Combine, has bones growing together in his feet. The condition, which according to the source is not correctable through surgery, is a pain tolerance issue. Considering that Taylor played much of his senior season at 330-340 pounds -- and has allowed his weight to get into the 380s in the past -- teams are concerned that his weight will only make the injury tougher to handle.

"If he was a 190 pound player, it might be different. Or, if he was an older player and you were only signing him for a few years, it might be different," a source said. "But, it is pretty hard to invest a first round pick in a player who you know coming in is being red-flagged by the doctors."

"This isn't just our team, by the way. Every team gets the MRIs. Every other team is seeing this too."

I tested that theory, as it is important to remember that this is the time of year for NFL sources insinuating the truth (and, in the cases of some, flat-out lying) in an effort to push players down the board. Therefore, I contacted other sources within the league and did confirm with another source that Taylor's injuries were being red-flagged by his team's doctors, as well.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/...82485/28589722

Rex should check him out. Rex knows feet.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Rex should check him out. Rex knows feet.

Jets Insider VIP
    A red flag for Phil Taylor?
    April, 17, 2011 Apr 1712:13PM ETEmail Print Comments2 By Rich CiminiFor weeks, the Jets have been linked in pre-draft speculation to mammoth Baylor NT Phil Taylor, but now comes word that Taylor has a foot condition that may cause him to drop.

Taylor's MRI exams at the scouting combine reveal that he has bones growing together in both feet, according to a report by Rob Rang of CBSSports.com. The condition, according to the report, is inoperable. Taylor can play, but it's a pain-tolerance issue. Because of his size (334 pounds), this has to be a concern.

Taylor played 44 games in college, including 13 starts last season for Baylor, so it obviously wasn't a debilitating injury.

The Jets have been known to take chances on players with pre-existing conditions. In 2003, they used the fourth overall pick on DT Dewayne Robertson, who had a degenerative condition (no cartilage) in one knee. He never missed any games for the Jets, but he never became the player they envisioned. In 2004, the Jets chose LB Jonathan Vilma 12th overall even though he had a degenerative bone condition in one knee -- ultimately requiring surgery in 2005. He was traded to the Saints and has become a top linebacker.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

he's also getting red-flagged for a shoulder issue...

Goooood, maybe we can trade down and get him

This sounds like the kind of rep teams do to devalue a player right before the draft so they can swoop in and get him.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Posted on: April 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Every year there are players who slip on draft day and leave all of us befuddled. Later, we typically find out that the player had medical concerns pop up, leading to the unfortunate drop.

Injury concerns have led to unstable stock for Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers and Alabama running back Mark Ingram this year. They aren't the only first round talents being downgraded due to medical red-flags, I'm being told.

Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor, himself a veteran of 43 games played, is also under scrutiny. Apparently during his Combine check, there were various injuries that caused teams some concern, the most serious of which involves both feet.

Taylor, according to MRIs taken at the Combine, has bones growing together in his feet. The condition, which according to the source is not correctable through surgery, is a pain tolerance issue. Considering that Taylor played much of his senior season at 330-340 pounds -- and has allowed his weight to get into the 380s in the past -- teams are concerned that his weight will only make the injury tougher to handle.

"If he was a 190 pound player, it might be different. Or, if he was an older player and you were only signing him for a few years, it might be different," a source said. "But, it is pretty hard to invest a first round pick in a player who you know coming in is being red-flagged by the doctors."

"This isn't just our team, by the way. Every team gets the MRIs. Every other team is seeing this too."

I tested that theory, as it is important to remember that this is the time of year for NFL sources insinuating the truth (and, in the cases of some, flat-out lying) in an effort to push players down the board. Therefore, I contacted other sources within the league and did confirm with another source that Taylor's injuries were being red-flagged by his team's doctors, as well.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/...82485/28589722

I hope we pass here...at 30..like many...I would like to trade and get a 2nd and another 3nd...do not think we can move up and I would like to have more money to sign the FAs we have...just wish they could get this CBA mess done so we could get into the draft more..but I have major concerns...I am not sure they will get this thing done..