Thread: Jets mock with some waaaaaacky trades, folks!

Jets mock with some waaaaaacky trades, folks!

Jets trade the #30 pick and their 5th to the Arizona Cardinals for the #38, #70, #137, and their 7th. Cardinals use the pick on fallen QB Ryan Mallett.

Jets trade picks #69, #93, and their 6th to the Houston Texans for picks #42 and #138.

#38 -Akeem Ayers - As far back as I can remember...or a year after in '04...a kickass LB prospect has dropped into the early 2nd. In '04 it was Karlos Dansby, and to follow would be guys like DeMeco Ryans, David Harris, and Lamarr Woodley. Ayers is a guy I've talked about so this isn't so different except that we got him through a bs trade I just made up. Still, I think he has do it all potential and is one of those guys who really can be as good as he wants to be.

#42 - Kyle Rudolph - The Jets enter the world of the legit 2 TE offense. Rudolph is drafted as a bigger, more well rounded competition for Dustin Keller. He plays the Gronkowski to Keller's Hernandez. Will help Sanchez out considering we'll probably lose one of the WRs. Really strong talent for the position and has top tier potential.

4th: Deunta Williams - 4th round has been pretty good to the Jets. Williams has injury problems, but he's also a 2nd round (maybe even first) talent when healthy. Legit FS prospect who can hit and move when he's on the field. Might go later, but for this year's crappy safety class I like him.

137 - Joseph Barksdale - Forgotten mammoth LSU tackle. Better prospect than his teammate Herman Johnson, who got drafted, and has long term potential at RT.

138 - Kenrick Ellis - Because they can, can, can!

7th - Aldrick Robinson - Might go higher on draft day, but has awesome pro potential. Alternate 7th rounders would be someone like Powe (why does no one like him?) and Colby Whitlock, amongst hundreds of others probably.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-18-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Those trades would be a good value, but I have no idea if ayers would still be there at #38

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Those trades would be a good value, but I have no idea if ayers would still be there at #38
    Probably not but it was fun to play with. I don' think he makes it out of the first, but if you haven't heard he ran a bad 40 time at the combine. You don't just walk that off.

All Pro
    i think it's entirely plausable. QB needy teams are expecting their competition to be trading up, and so they will too.

I do however dislike Ayers. I've settled on that.

I do however looooooooooooove Rudolf. So those two would balance out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    i think it's entirely plausable. QB needy teams are expecting their competition to be trading up, and so they will too.

I do however dislike Ayers. I've settled on that.

I do however looooooooooooove Rudolf. So those two would balance out.
    Maybe I missed it, but why don't you like Ayers? I'm curious because no one's really stepped up as a prospect of the week since.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but why don't you like Ayers? I'm curious because no one's really stepped up as a prospect of the week since.
    After listening to a number of analysts i respect (nfl network crew and online scouting sites) talk about the lack of explosion he's displayed (kind of important) and watching tape myself, I'm just done with him. He's smooth, stays mobile, but i don't see alot of closing speed. He gets bounced around too much.

Obviously if he's the best pick, then fine. It would have to be in the 2nd, and other guys would have to be gone. I don't know if he'll see the field much next year.

I'm no pro-scout, but it was time to take pick a side on him, so i did.

...Smith's the new flavor of the week.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-18-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Jimmy Smith? I'd rather have Brandon Harris though. I'm gonna try to make Rudolph the prospect of the week...by try I mean don't try and just drop the name once in a while.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I don't think Ayers falls to #30 much less #38.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't think Ayers falls to #30 much less #38.
    Personally I don't either...even if he made it to the late 20's the Pats and Ravens are looking for a guy like him too...if the f'n Ravens got him I think I'd flip my sh*t...how many ridiculously talented front 7 players can one team have....

All Pro
    Jimmy Smith? I'd rather have Brandon Harris though. I'm gonna try to make Rudolph the prospect of the week...by try I mean don't try and just drop the name once in a while.
    I've been throwing up love for Kyle now and then too. he's an awesome trade back scenario. too bad ATL's gonna take him rnd 1.

Not only will Ayers be there at #30, he'll be there at #40.

I've been throwing up love for Kyle now and then too. he's an awesome trade back scenario. too bad ATL's gonna take him rnd 1.

I've been pumping Rudolph for a while too, but you know Jet fans and the TE position...

Strongly, strongly disagree with you on Ayers. There's just too much focus on what he can't or didn't do here...which is not what the draft is about...these are college kids who are not finished products yet. He's got the feel of a reverse smoke screen guy...a first round prospect being talked down because poking holes is all apart of the process.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-18-2011 at 11:41 AM.

All Pro
    Maybe, i mean i am a shmuck up in canada, so what do i know. I think he'll lack that "tickle me excited" factor come draft day, and end up in the early to middle 2nd round.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I think you're way off on this one, but that's the beauty of the draft and the months leading up to it. But if the Jets trade down and are able to get Ayers at #40, I will be extremely happy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think you're way off on this one, but that's the beauty of the draft and the months leading up to it. But if the Jets trade down and are able to get Ayers at #40, I will be extremely happy.
    at #40 i'd be satisfied for sure. At that point he IS the best player on the board. I'd rather have Heyward or Smith in rnd 1, but this is acceptable.

there's just been too many questions about his explosiveness and stuff like this for me to be ecstatic about using number #30 on him

(Rotoworld) The National Football Post has spoken with front office sources that question UCLA LB Akeem Ayers' instincts and ability to learn a complex defense. Analysis: Ayers has been sliding down draft boards ever since his poor Combine performance, and is looking more like a day-two player than day-one pick at this point. Of course, it could all just be pre-draft nonsense, and it would be far from surprising if Ayers still ultimately gets drafted somewhere in the 20-to-32 range.
    Our Defense is anything but vanilla

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

at #40 i'd be satisfied for sure. At that point he IS the best player on the board. I'd rather have Heyward or Smith in rnd 1, but this is acceptable.

there's just been too many questions about his explosiveness and stuff like this for me to be ecstatic about using number #30 on him

I have no right to judge whether one unsubstantiated report is more reputable than another, considering that I don't have much knowledge that isn't second hand.....but that report smells like such horsesh!t, that I choose not to believe it. Similar to Phil Taylor's feet.

All Pro
    its a wonderful time of year isn't it!

While I'm sure the knock you quote is legit enough in some eyes, I think he did enough in his 3 years on the field to quell an intelligence question...he's one of the most versatile prospects in this draft and it's because of a strong on field intelligence and awareness....His flaws are all physical to me and totally correctable....strength and tackling technique....after that there's really not much to touch...just get him in a weight program and make sure he takes life serious...which again is not something I worry about in his case.

Ayers took a while to grow on me, but man when you break him down there's really a strong prospect there. Strong enough certainly for a late first...What turned me is that I isolated plays specifically where he was asked to blitz (because posters on this board called him an OLB in a 3-4 when I kept saying he's an ILB)...he did fine...and I'm not talking about the end result of the play...I'm talking about the technique...he showed more burst than I thought he had and more importantly he looked like a natural athlete who could get his shoulders low without costing himself speed or burst....I look at that specifically because it's something I noticed about DeMarcus Ware...Ware is entirely capable of getting messy and going up against a tackle and using hands and all that...he's certainly stronger than Ayers (he was also a year older as a prospect)....but more often than not he's killing guys by getting lower than them and using his natural speed, strength, and athleticism to do uh...to uh...take 'em...take 'em down.

Ayers, like Cameron Heyward, is a guy who on an intuitive level for me fits like a glove in this D. They're the kind of guys who don't wow you with one standout skill, but the all around game and athleticism at such a young age gives huge promise for the future. Ayers took on a role in college that would kill alot of guys and ruin their production....they asked a guy who might have been their best pass rusher to move to LB and drop into coverage more often and he took it like a champ.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-18-2011 at 05:23 PM.

While I'm sure the knock you quote is legit enough in some eyes, I think he did enough in his 3 years on the field to quell an intelligence question...he's one of the most versatile prospects in this draft and it's because of a strong on field intelligence and awareness....His flaws are all physical to me and totally correctable....strength and tackling technique....after that there's really not much to touch...just get him in a weight program and make sure he takes life serious...which again is not something I worry about in his case.

Ayers took a while to grow on me, but man when you break him down there's really a strong prospect there. Strong enough certainly for a late first...What turned me is that I isolated plays specifically where he was asked to blitz (because posters on this board called him an OLB in a 3-4 when I kept saying he's an ILB)...he did fine...and I'm not talking about the end result of the play...I'm talking about the technique...he showed more burst than I thought he had and more importantly he looked like a natural athlete who could get his shoulders low without costing himself speed or burst....I look at that specifically because it's something I noticed about DeMarcus Ware...Ware is entirely capable of getting messy and going up against a tackle and using hands and all that...he's certainly stronger than Ayers (he was also a year older as a prospect)....but more often than not he's killing guys by getting lower than them and using his natural speed, strength, and athleticism to do uh...to uh...take 'em...take 'em down.

Ayers, like Cameron Heyward, is a guy who on an intuitive level for me fits like a glove in this D. They're the kind of guys who don't wow you with one standout skill, but the all around game and athleticism at such a young age gives huge promise for the future. Ayers took on a role in college that would kill alot of guys and ruin their production....they asked a guy who might have been their best pass rusher to move to LB and drop into coverage more often and he took it like a champ.
    Thanks for the breakdown. If so, I would not mind Ayers with our pick his versatility and passrush ability would add allow new wrinkles to the Jets D. Plus he's well positioned to learn from Rexy and talented pros like Harris, Pace etc