Thread: CNN OpEd: Why do Republicans love Sharia law?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

CNN OpEd: Why do Republicans love Sharia law?

[QUOTE]Why do Republicans love Sharia law?

By Dean Obeidallah, Special to CNNApril 18, 2011 10:12 a.m. EDT

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning Arab-American comedian who has appeared on Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is the executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

(CNN) -- To be fair, I'm not sure if all Republicans love Sharia law, but they certainly do love talking about it.

Republicans Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum don't agree on everything, but they all concur that we must stop Sharia law from being imposed upon America.

And Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain, winner of a Tea Party convention straw poll in February, went a step further when he recently declared that he would not even nominate an American-Muslim to his Cabinet because in his words, Muslims "are trying to force Sharia law on the people of this country." (Although to be honest, Charlie Sheen has a better chance of "winning" the 2012 presidential election than Cain.)

Add to this mix Republican state legislators in more than a dozen states who have introduced legislation to ban state court judges from considering Sharia law. And in Tennessee, Republican state Sen. Bill Ketron has upped the ante by proposing a law that would make it a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison for any person who knowingly supports Sharia law.

To warrant this hysterical call to arms by these Republicans, American-Muslims must certainly be aggressively pushing for Sharia law to be imposed upon all Americans -- which would be an especially amazing feat considering only about 2% of our nation's population is Muslim.

So I began looking into the issue of which American-Muslims are calling for this. I started out simply enough by asking the Muslims in my family and my Muslim friends if they wanted Sharia law to be the new law of America. After they stopped laughing, they all responded "no."

This isn't surprising to me because I have never met an American-Muslim who has commented: "America is great, but you know what would make it even better? More laws like Afghanistan."

OK, then maybe it's the American-Muslims in elected office? In their positions of power, they could easily propose legislation calling for Sharia law.

First stop, the two American-Muslim representatives -- Keith Ellison and Andre Carson. But both their records are devoid of pushing for Sharia law.

Well, then maybe it's the American-Muslim state legislators who serve in places such as New Hampshire, Missouri, Michigan and North Carolina -- including the longest-serving Muslim state-elected official, Larry Shaw, who has been a member of the North Carolina General Assembly for 16 years. Maybe they're the ones hankering for Sharia law? But alas, I came up empty.

Oh, I know, how about Dearborn, Michigan, the city with the highest concentration of Muslims in America? If there is any place in America that wants Sharia law, it has to be there. However, Dearborn Mayor Jack O'Reilly -- clearly a very Muslim name -- said in an interview last year: "There's no Sharia law in Dearborn, Michigan. ... It isn't even talked about in Dearborn."

Avlon: Colbert, Kyl and spread of "misinformation"

I keep striking out. Then it occurred to me, perhaps Sharia law is part of the agenda of the biggest American-Muslim organizations in the country: the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Islamic Society of North America.

So I reached out to the Islamic Society of North America's national director, Sayyid Syeed, and the Council on American-Islamic Relations' national outreach coordinator, Aseel Elborno, and asked them point-blank: Do you want to impose Sharia law across the United States? Their answer: a resounding "no." They explained they simply want to be able to practice their faith just like all other proud Americans. Nothing more.

This is now getting confusing. My Muslim friends and family members don't want Sharia law, neither do the Muslim elected officials nor the biggest American-Muslim groups -- not even the people of Dearborn. Then who is furthering this dastardly plan?!

The best evidence these Republicans cite in support of their claim is a case from New Jersey where a trial judge sided with a Muslim man who had raised Sharia law as a defense to the charge of marital rape. The state that brought us "Jersey Shore" actually brought us something worse with this court decision. However, thankfully, the New Jersey appellate court correctly overturned the trial judge's decision, alleviating any concern about Sharia law trumping American law.

If religious law -- regardless if it is Muslim, Jewish or Christian -- does not comport with the principles of U.S. law, our courts will not follow it. It's that simple. This is a well-established principle of our American legal system -- one that I would have hoped the Republican politicians would have been known. Of course, maybe I'm assuming they know more than they do, as I was reminded by Bachman's recent gaffe in saying the American Revolution began in New Hampshire instead of Massachusetts.

It appears that certain Republicans have created this "Sharia monster" for their own purposes. They scare us with their monster, and then they want to take credit for saving us from their own creation.

To those Republicans who continue to stoke the flames of fear and bigotry to attract media attention and benefit their own political careers, I hope you will heed the words of your fellow Republican Ronald Reagan, who famously stated: "No one group in this country is better than another. No one race or religion or sex or color is better than another. ... It's time we erased the last vestiges of intolerance, bigotry and unkindness from our hearts. Decency demands this and so does our history."

The opinions in this commentary are solely those of Dean Obeidallah.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/04/18/obeidallah.gop.sharia.law/index.html?hpt=C2[/url][/QUOTE]

Figured our Righty friends would enjoy reading this one. Oh, and PK too, since he always loved religious threads.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently, Dean-o has never followed CAIR. Or anything going on in the UK or France.

But why let that stop him, right? :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4003224]Apparently, Dean-o has never followed CAIR. Or anything going on in the UK or France.

But why let that stop him, right? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

OMG. It's true. WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE. RUN AWAY, BE SCARED. :rolleyes:

I think the religious right should leave this ball in God's court. If he wants to stop the spread of Sharia Law, he can do it with his magic powers.

We should have a cage match. Yahweh Vs. Allah in a fight to the death.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4003238]OMG. It's true. WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE. RUN AWAY, BE SCARED. :rolleyes:

I think the religious right should leave this ball in God's court. If he wants to stop the spread of Sharia Law, he can do it with his magic powers.

We should have a cage match. Yahweh Vs. Allah in a fight to the death.[/QUOTE]

A supposedly "funny" post that ultimately says nothing. :clapper:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4003224]Apparently, Dean-o has never followed CAIR. Or anything going on in the UK or France.

But why let that stop him, right? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

How about Article 6 of the Constitution? That doesn't matter in this discussion?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anyone that is informed believes Sharia law is coming to this country or any western country.

Yes, there are those, like Gingrich, Bachman, Palin, Santorum and Herman Cain that will use the classic right wing xenophobic fear tactic, but that's why Republicans will lose in 2012 and have to reboot their party, again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I doubt that there is a chance that Sharia Law could come in to American law there are others that would beg to differ. One group of Muslims <edit> wanted to hold a rally in front of the White House calling for Sharia Law [URL]http://shariah4america.com/Shariah/DEMONSTRATION-OUTSIDE-WHITE-HOUSE.html[/URL] in America so this Muslim group called on other Muslims to denounce them. Where do these crazy Republicans get their ideas that Muslims might try to get Sharia Law in America? :rolleyes: Crazy I tell you!

[URL]http://www.aifdemocracy.org/news.php?id=6619[/URL]

[QUOTE]
    [B]American Muslim organization calls upon American Muslims to denounce Shariah for America rally[/B]

March 1, 2011
    American Islamic Forum for Democracy
    AIFD

[B][B][I]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/I][/B][/B]

[B][B][I]STATEMENT[/I][/B][/B]

[B][I][I]AIFD stands against any movement that would subjugate Americans under Shariah law[/I][/I][/B]

PHOENIX (March 1, 2011) - Dr. M. Zuhdi Jasser, a devout Muslim and the president and founder of the [U][URL="http://www.aifdemocracy.org/"]American Islamic Forum for Democracy[/URL][/U] (AIFD) issued the following statement regarding the March 3, 2011 rally - Shariah for America: A call for revolution.
    "Shariah for America's march on Washington is an affront to very idea of America and in no way represents the core of American Muslims. American Muslims need to denounce this rally and to unequivocally state that Sharia for America's movement to bring shariah into government is unconstitutional and unconscionable for liberty loving Muslims in America.

[URL="http://www.theblaze.com/stories/muslims-plan-thursday-rally-in-d-c-rise-to-implement-the-shariah-in-america/"]Shariah for America's[/URL] belief in governmental shariah is not a mandate from God, but is instead an instrument of man that uses the myth of Islamic supremacy to strip away individual liberty and freedom.

Not all Muslims are Islamists and the problems with Islamism are not only related to violence, but related to the entire ideology of seeking the supremacy of the Islamic state over the United States and Western society, which is exactly what Shariah for America is trying to do.

The organizers of Shariah for America believe that freedom of speech is a one way street and ultimately that their rally for shariah will not be countered by Muslims or Americans. AIFD stands in support of groups like Move America Forward and the Liberty Alliance who will rally on March 3 against shariah and the Islamic State. Events like this demonstrate that American Muslims need to be open about the need to separate mosque and state and to defeat the insidious supremacist ideology of shariah in government and Islamism in general.

Shariah for America is not the first group calling for the Islamist ideologies to defeat American values. These ideologies were also recently seen in July 2009 at the Hizb ut-tahrir recruiting conference outside Chicago.

Many American Islamist organizations see these demonstrations and meetings as being on the fringe, but at the end of the day very few American Muslim organizations have directly taken on the ideology of the caliphate, Islamism, political Islam and the Islamic state. They instead want us to believe that classically Islamist organizations like the Muslim Brotherhood and all of its offshoots and front groups are not a threat to the United States, when in fact rallies like this demonstrate the depths of exactly what the threat is and how at their core all Islamists desire to remove our Constitutional republic and put in its place an Islamic state based in Islamic law and the interpretations of clerics and theocrats.

AIFD calls upon all people of conscience to counter these ideas and demonstrate the fact that these are the very ideas that radicalize Muslims. There is a continuum of radicalization which is not only violence but accentuated by ideologies like this group's that are not being countered by Muslims. In fact their silence against these ideologies caters to a mindset which is obstructionist and less than cooperative in preventing jihadism and the continual recruitment of Muslims into radicalization. Until the majority of American Muslims can begin to have frank discussion about these ideologies and how various levels of these ideologies feed into extremism and radicalization we will not as a nation be able to counter the ideology of political Islam and it's inherent radicalization..

Shariah for America has called for a day of Anger against America. American Muslims need to have a day of anger against Shariah for America and their ideas and demonstrate that they are truly marginal. The silence of American Muslims against the Islamic state and political Islam allows radical groups like this to speak for all Muslims. It is our hope that there will be a reform for the separation of mosque and state and to make it unequivocal that these ideas of shariah and Islamic supremacy are not welcome in our Muslim communities.

[B]About the American Islamic Forum for Democracy[/B]
    The American Islamic Forum for Democracy (AIFD) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) charitable organization. AIFD's mission advocates for the preservation of the founding principles of the United States Constitution, liberty and freedom, through the separation of mosque and state. For more information on AIFD, please visit our website at [U][URL]http://www.aifdemocracy.org/[/URL][/U].[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4003335]URL]http://shariah4america.com/Shariah/DEMONSTRATION-OUTSIDE-WHITE-HOUSE.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

That website doesn't pass the smell test.

Need to look further...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a brief aside, I don't think most of the "Right" persuation actually think "Sharia is coming" or "Sharia will be forced on America", i.e. U.S. Law would be tossed aside, and a Theocratical Islamic State of America formed.

I think just about anyone, right or left, would call that fantasy.

What the righties I know ARE concerned about is Sharia being used as a factor in creating new laws, used in defense of criminal activity or abuse, or the ideals of Sharia being pushed ahead of the traditional Judeo-Christian ideals they (righties) think forms our law (they're wrong about that IMO, but thats another thread).

Best example I can give is this: Islamic Man abuses his Wife, claims Sharia as his Defense (Religious Freedom), and the Court agrees.

Or this: Jurisdiction passes a Law barring the sale of Pork Products.

Or this: In crafting X bit of Federal Legislation, or some Supreme Court ruling, Sharia Law's position on issue X is taken into consideration.

Stuff like that is far more likely to happen than an Islamic Totalitarian US.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4003362]As a brief aside, I don't think most of the "Right" persuation actually think "Sharia is coming" or "Sharia will be forced on America", i.e. U.S. Law would be tossed aside, and a Theocratical Islamic State of America formed.

I think just about anyone, right or left, would call that fantasy.

What the righties I know ARE concerned about is Sharia being used as a factor in creating new laws, used in defense of criminal activity or abuse, or the ideals of Sharia being pushed ahead of the traditional Judeo-Christian ideals they (righties) think forms our law (they're wrong about that IMO, but thats another thread).

Best example I can give is this: Islamic Man abuses his Wife, claims Sharia as his Defense (Religious Freedom), and the Court agrees.

Or this: Jurisdiction passes a Law barring the sale of Pork Products.

Or this: In crafting X bit of Federal Legislation, or some Supreme Court ruling, Sharia Law's position on issue X is taken into consideration.

Stuff like that is far more likely to happen than an Islamic Totalitarian US.[/QUOTE]

I think that is exactly the concern. In today's PC world we are more afraid of appearing biased/racist than of anything else.

Case in point, while this isn't the implementation of Sharia Law it is using religious bias as a reason for challenging a potential sentence: [URL]http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2010/02/19/20100219honor-killing.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]The decision not to seek the death penalty comes after Almaleki's attorney, Billy Little, a public defender, asked a judge to take special precautions to ensure the County Attorney's Office wouldn't wrongly seek the death penalty because Almaleki is a Muslim. [/QUOTE]