Thread: Gruden's NFLN Quarterback Sitdowns

All Pro

Gruden's NFLN Quarterback Sitdowns

I've seen the Andy Dalton and Ryan Mallett ones and think Gruden is just a lot of fun to watch. You really get a sense of these guys as well.

Ryan Mallett I would not touch in the first two rounds. He just doesn't appear to have the makeup. Thin skinned and dumb as rocks. He personality reminds me of Ryan Leaf, remember his locker room meltdown - I can see Mallett doing that. You really got the sense that he was just being agreeable for the cameras.

Andy Dalton OTOH was extremely intelligent, lived up to his reputation as a solid character guy, a great kid but came across very much as a kid. They all are but he seems especially naive and it'd hard for him to get respect from vets as a rookie IMO.

Anybody catch these, are there other ones?

Mallett is getting absolutely killed this offseason but I have alot of trouble believing he's as much of a scumbag as he's being portrayed...Every event needs villains and heels....I saw this guy as a freshman at Michigan...he looked like the ultra talented freshman he was....huge arm and size, but everything else sucked...threw the ball a million miles an hour but that's really all he did...the improvements he's made in college show he's a committed player with a much better work ethic than given credit for...I would not be the least bit surprised if he ended up being the best passer from this draft class.

He does this thing now where he puts actual touch on his passes...still could be better at it, but so could alot of college players moving to the NFL....the mobility isn't what you want in 2011 probably, but he's a 6'7 250 pound QB with a cannon for an arm...mobility is like #4 on the priority list for him....personally just strikes me as another reverse smoke screen guy.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-18-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Mallett kinda impressed me with Gruden TBH. He sounded a lot better to me than all of the stuff I've been hearing about him. I didn't really get the "thin-skinned" vibe with him. He seemed like a genuine guy that wants to get better. I guess I can see how people can think he sounds dumb because he speaks pretty "thuggish" for a white guy LOL. I also saw him beat the **** out of some quality SEC defenses over the last 2 seasons, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he turns out to be successful in the NFL. He is a higher than normal risk though.

I really liked Dalton as well FWIW.

I want to see Cam Newton with Gruden. Have they showed that one yet?
    Last edited by King Koopa; 04-19-2011 at 03:49 AM.

All Pro
    thin skinned and dumb as rocks... for real harris.

Ryan "sweet jeff george" Mallet is being soooooo over roasted for nancy boy bullsh*t, it's unbelievable. Why don't you get a show like "the View" and talk about it.

The thing holding Mallet back from being a top 5 pick is his mobility in the pocket. Give the dude a O-Line and he'll shred the fcking Steelers

Bazooka arm!
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-19-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Mallett is getting absolutely killed this offseason but I have alot of trouble believing he's as much of a scumbag as he's being portrayed...Every event needs villains and heels....I saw this guy as a freshman at Michigan...he looked like the ultra talented freshman he was....huge arm and size, but everything else sucked...threw the ball a million miles an hour but that's really all he did...the improvements he's made in college show he's a committed player with a much better work ethic than given credit for...I would not be the least bit surprised if he ended up being the best passer from this draft class.

He does this thing now where he puts actual touch on his passes...still could be better at it, but so could alot of college players moving to the NFL....the mobility isn't what you want in 2011 probably, but he's a 6'7 250 pound QB with a cannon for an arm...mobility is like #4 on the priority list for him....personally just strikes me as another reverse smoke screen guy.
    I go back and forth on how I feel about Mallett, but when it swings back to the positive, it's usually because I remember the improvement that he showed over the course of his college career. He got significantly better, and he had to have some kind of work ethic in order to do so.

All League
    FOr what its worth, I think Dalton is going to be the real deal after a year or two sitting behind a vet.