Thread: Getting around the trade for future picks situation...

Getting around the trade for future picks situation...

So the NFL has said, trade for future years picks at your own risk, indicating that if the labor situation goes really bad there could be no draft next year.

Could a trade be made for instance for a future 1st rounder the next time a draft is held? (To cover the fact that it might not be a 2012 pick?)

Could a team trade for a future 2012, 2013, 2014 1st rounder at the discretion of one of the teams to get around a non draft year as well?

its an interesting idea but I don't know that the league would approve such a trade

in general I dont see the value in mortgaging future 1st rounders just to move up. Someone should fall to 30.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    its an interesting idea but I don't know that the league would approve such a trade

in general I dont see the value in mortgaging future 1st rounders just to move up. Someone should fall to 30.
    I'm not necessarily talking about the Jets in this case, it was more of a general Q. I was thinking more along the lines of the Pats lining up their yearly pigeon.

If it was the Jets, the future is essentially now, if you looked at our late 1st rounder last year and perhaps this year then looked at the quality of player we might get by moving up....

(I personally hope we move down, the Jets have to improve depth and hope to get some starters a couple years down the road ready to step in.)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

i would unquestioningly support the Jets throwing out next year's #1 for a shot at Cam Jordan. I can't think of a player that is a better fit for this defense. He is everything Rex could wish for.

Veteran
    I can see it happening but only under the trading at your own risk umbrella. It should encompass all future draft picks 2012, 2013 or any other year for that matter.

While there's no guarantee that the draft would ever come back (assuming it's gone for next year in the first place) I see no reason any team trading future picks unless there's a stipulation a like or better solution (maybe a player to be named later) in lieu of losing the draft pick.

Again with the lockout in tow there's so many different instances where the scenarios change but it's all speculation on how the new NFL CBA will affect every transaction.

Like previous posters have stated, it is an interesting idea. This kind of thing happens in baseball a lot where teams trade players for future considerations, whether it be cash, players, or picks.