Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Antonio Cromartie Joins CAA Sports Team

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Antonio Cromartie Joins CAA Sports Team

[SIZE="5"][B][URL="http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/4/18/2118541/antonio-cromartie-joins-caa-sports-team"]Antonio Cromartie Joins CAA Sports Team[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

by Matt Birch on Apr 18, 2011 3:36 PM EDT

New York Jets CB Antonio Cromartie, you know, the guy that locks down the side of the field opposite Darrelle Revis, recently found new representation.

The 27-year-old defensive back had a decision to make after his previous agent, Gary Wichard, passed away from pancreatic cancer.

[B]He chose CAA Sports and superstar agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra[/B] -- according to reports from the New York Daily News.

I find this to be important because Cromartie is likely going to be an unrestricted free agent this offseason if a new collective bargaining agreement is reached (whenever that should happen). He was previously tendered at $3.5M back in February, but now will probably be navigating the waters of free agency. Cromartie has said he wants to return to the Jets next season, so hopefully he will stick to that.

The big-play cornerback came up big last season when Revis was ailing from a hamstring injury -- shutting down Randy Moss twice in the first half of the season.

Still, [B]CAA is one of the most renowned sports agencies in the country[/B]. Let's hope that Cromartie's heart keeps him here in New York -- and that we don't see a "pay the man" effect as a result.

[B][SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2011/04/jets-cornerback-antonio-cromartie-joins-caa-sports"]Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie joins CAA Sports[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

BY MANISH MEHTA

The Daily News has learned that Antonio Cromartie has joined CAA Sports, the most powerful agency in the country. The Jets’ cornerback will be represented by elite agents Ben Dogra and [B]Tom Condon[/B]:eek:, whose client list includes NFL superstars such as Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson and Nnamdi Asomugha.

CAA also represents at least five sure-fire first-round picks in the NFL draft later this month: Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert, Georgia WR A.J. Green, Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt, Missouri DE Aldon Smith and Boston College OL Anthony Castonzo. (Texas CB Aaron Williams is a borderline first rounder).

Cromartie’s longtime agent and friend Gary Wichard passed away last month after a year-long bout with pancreatic cancer.

Cromartie, 27, will be a restricted free agent if the 2010 free agency rules are reinstated due to the league’s labor impasse. Gang Green gave Cromatie a RFA tender in February valued at $3.5 million for the 2011 season. However, Cromartie, who is entering his sixth season, will be an unrestricted free agent if a new collective bargaining agreement is reached this summer.

Cromartie played a pivotal role in the Jets’ second consecutive run to the AFC Championship Game. Cromartie, who showed flashes of his former Pro Bowl self after being traded from San Diego last offseason, was arguably the Jets’ defensive MVP during the first two months of the season as All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis dealt with a troublesome hamstring injury.

Cromartie was an ideal fit for Rex Ryan’s defensive scheme that put a premium on man coverage. He teamed with Revis to form one of the elite cornerback tandems in the NFL. Opposing quarterbacks completed only 43.9% of passes thrown at Cromartie – the fifth best “burn percentage” in the league, according to STATS, LLC. Revis, who was thrown at half as many times as Cromartie, was No. 1 at 33.9%.

Cromartie resumed his off-season training program in Southern California last week.
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cromartie is already gone as far as I'm concerned.

He was the odd man out from the beginning. The Jets are focused on Holmes and Braylon right now and are dead set on getting Harris signed for the long haul.

They didn't draft Kyle Wilson in the 1st round to be a career nickelback either.

Let Cromartie walk and bring in a mid-level guy like Eric Wright to challenge for the #2 job. I see no point in investing even more big money in the CB position, especially when the front seven is what needs work the most.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4003743]Cromartie is already gone as far as I'm concerned.

He was the odd man out from the beginning. The Jets are focused on Holmes and Braylon right now and are dead set on getting Harris signed for the long haul.

They didn't draft Kyle Wilson in the 1st round to be a career nickelback either.

Let Cromartie walk and bring in a mid-level guy like Eric Wright to challenge for the #2 job. I see no point in investing even more big money in the CB position, especially when the front seven is what needs work the most.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make a difference where or why we drafted Wilson, he sucks. Cromatie is the best #2 corner in the NFL, we better keep him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish Wilson didnt suck big time, we wouldnt even look to lock up cro. Another bust in wilson.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opposing quarterbacks completed just [B]43.9 percent of passes thrown at Antonio Cromartie last season, the [U]fifth best[/U] rate in the league.[/B]

Teammate Darrelle Revis ranked first in that category at 33.9 percent. Cromartie, who just signed with mega-agents Ben Dogra and Tom Condon, is headed for unrestricted free agency. The Jets are tentatively expected to let him walk as he searches for a big payday.

Source: New York Daily News Apr 18, 12:59 PM

just sayin

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cromartie completely regressed the second half of the year. He just held guys and could have been called for pass interference every play. It was ridiculous. I would only sign him for small money. I still think Kyle Wilson is going to be good. I think our system is complicated and, at the same time, he was trying to adjust to the speed of the game. It's hard to react to what you see when you are over-thinking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If KW is the starter next season the Jets will know on D where the ball is going when it is in the air. He will be tested very often early in the season

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;4003794]It doesn't make a difference where or why we drafted Wilson, he sucks. Cromatie is the best #2 corner in the NFL, we better keep him.[/QUOTE]

Stanford Routt says hello. K Wilson is going to be a very very good Cb in this league. IF Jets kept him on the outside (like in he played in college) he would have had a much better season in 2010. Jets asked the impossible asking him to move inside and play the slot reciever. That a tough matchup for veteran Cb's not to mention a rookie Cb.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4003743]Cromartie is already gone as far as I'm concerned.

Let Cromartie walk and bring in a mid-level guy like Eric Wright to challenge for the #2 job. I see no point in investing even more big money in the CB position, especially when the front seven is what needs work the most.[/QUOTE]

I'd be ok with letting Cro walk if we got a guy like Eric Wright. But to let Cro walk without signing someone at least decent to replace him? No thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;4003642]
    Antonio Cromartie, you know, the guy that locks down the side of the field opposite Darrelle Revis[/QUOTE]

When was this :huh:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;4003794]It doesn't make a difference where or why we drafted Wilson, he sucks. Cromatie is the best #2 corner in the NFL, we better keep him.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm new here, but I feel confident in saying that this is one of the single worst posts ever on JI. It just has so much fail in it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    joining CAA is not something one does before signing for a hometown discount

it's Rod Tidwell time

SHOW ME THE MONEY

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the thread title and thought he was playing this fall for one of JMU, Delaware, Villanova, etc.