Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parcells reflects on Jets, Belichick, future

All League

Parcells reflects on Jets, Belichick, future

[SIZE="4"][B]Parcells reflects on Jets, Belichick, future[/B][/SIZE]
    By [URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets"]Rich Cimini[/URL]

When Bill Parcells took over the Jets in 1997, the franchise was a laughingstock in the NFL. It was coming off two years of Rich Kotite, a 1-15 season, and it had gone nearly a decade without a winning season. [B]The young Jets fans of today can't even imagine the level of dysfunction that enveloped the franchise. [/B]:yes:

And yet it didn't compare to what Parcells faced in 1993, when he went to the Patriots.

"New England was a bigger (challenge), because there was a lot more stability at the Jets," Parcells said Monday on a conference call with reporters. (The occasion was his nomination for the Patriots' Hall of Fame.) "[B]The talent level, initially when I went to the Jets, was better[/B]. I would say New England was a bigger undertaking because the franchise was in ... there were a lot more areas that lacked structure and stability."

Parcells is right. Even though both franchises seemed like lost causes, the Patriots were in worse shape across the board. [I]The Jets actually had some decent players; they just lacked direction. Parcells became the dominant figure that vanquished the losing culture that permeated every crevice of the organization. But he fell short of his goal, the Super Bowl, [B]losing the 1998 AFC title to the Broncos -- the toughest defeat of his career, he later called it[/B][/I].

The Tuna touched on other New York-related topics on the conference call. Interestingly, he said New England -- not the Giants -- is where he learned his most valuable football lessons. Parcells made his name with the Giants (1981-1990), but he credited his two stints with the Patriots (1980, 1993-96) as his foundation.

"My background in pro football came from the New England Patriots," he said, crediting New England scouting gurus [B]Bucko Kilroy[/B] and[B] Mike Holovak[/B] as two of the four men that shaped his philosophy on personnel. (He also mentioned [B]Ron Wolf[/B] and [B]Al Davis[/B].)

Parcells spoke highly of former assistant Bill Belichick. Their relationship experienced a rough patch when Belichick, refusing to honor his contract as Parcells' successor, bolted the Jets in 2000. Now they have condos in the same building in Jupiter, Fla., Belichick two floors above Parcells.

"We see each other from time to time," Parcells said. "We've had many conversations. We worked together a very, very long time. We were in the same office together for 10 years. You just can't dismiss things like that. He was a big help to me when we were both assistant coaches together, and when I was the head coach, he was a vital part of our organization. Hopefully, I've been a help to him at some point ... He's a great coach. We get along just fine."

Parcells has his own ESPN draft show (April 26), and he said he's in discussion with the network about the possibility of a future gig. What about a return to the NFL?

"No, I'm done," he said. "I know I've said that before, so you better put it down in pencil. I'll be 70 years old in August. I'm enjoying my time now. I left Miami Oct. 1 last year, and this is the first time I've had any extended time to myself. This is a good time for me. Fortunately, I'm in good health. I still have a lot of things Id like to do in my life, but I'm going to leave the NFL to someone else now."

[B]The feeling here is that Parcells deserves a place in the Jets' Ring of Honor. What do you think?[/B]

I would put Bill in there.

The man came into this organization and turned it around from 4-28 to 9-7, then to 12-4 and 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl in just two short years. To me that's unbelievable and if it weren't for him who knows where we would be right now. Jets fans should be forever thankful to The Tuna, but it is a shame that he left us too soon and I think most fans feel that way, especially the few who aren't so high on his years with the team (and those people are very hard to find).

No on the Ring of Honor for BP. Many others more deserving than a mercenary coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Aside from a SB victory the vast majority of coaches, players, and execs haven't accomplished jack, christ.

No way Parcells deserves the NYJ ring of honor. He left us high and dry after the 1999 season. He helped us with a good draft in 2001, but I could have done that as well. He had 4 first round picks.
    Worse than that, he totally mismanaged the 1999 season after Vinny got hurt, and replaced him with Rick Mirer for way too long. He should have realized a lot earlier that Ray Lucas was the better choice.

[QUOTE=lyons93;4003769]No way Parcells deserves the NYJ ring of honor. He left us high and dry after the 1999 season. He helped us with a good draft in 2001, but I could have done that as well. He had 4 first round picks.
    Worse than that, he totally mismanaged the 1999 season after Vinny got hurt, and replaced him with Rick Mirer for way too long. He should have realized a lot earlier that Ray Lucas was the better choice.[/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=Gas2No99;4003746][SIZE="4"][B]Parcells reflects on Jets, Belichick, future[/B][/SIZE]
    By [URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets"]Rich Cimini[/URL]

When Bill Parcells took over the Jets in 1997, the franchise was a laughingstock in the NFL. It was coming off two years of Rich Kotite, a 1-15 season, and it had gone nearly a decade without a winning season. [B]The young Jets fans of today can't even imagine the level of dysfunction that enveloped the franchise. [/B]:yes:

And yet it didn't compare to what Parcells faced in 1993, when he went to the Patriots.

"New England was a bigger (challenge), because there was a lot more stability at the Jets," Parcells said Monday on a conference call with reporters. (The occasion was his nomination for the Patriots' Hall of Fame.) "[B]The talent level, initially when I went to the Jets, was better[/B]. I would say New England was a bigger undertaking because the franchise was in ... there were a lot more areas that lacked structure and stability."

Parcells is right. Even though both franchises seemed like lost causes, the Patriots were in worse shape across the board. [I]The Jets actually had some decent players; they just lacked direction. Parcells became the dominant figure that vanquished the losing culture that permeated every crevice of the organization. But he fell short of his goal, the Super Bowl, [B]losing the 1998 AFC title to the Broncos -- the toughest defeat of his career, he later called it[/B][/I].

The Tuna touched on other New York-related topics on the conference call. Interestingly, he said New England -- not the Giants -- is where he learned his most valuable football lessons. Parcells made his name with the Giants (1981-1990), but he credited his two stints with the Patriots (1980, 1993-96) as his foundation.

"My background in pro football came from the New England Patriots," he said, crediting New England scouting gurus [B]Bucko Kilroy[/B] and[B] Mike Holovak[/B] as two of the four men that shaped his philosophy on personnel. (He also mentioned [B]Ron Wolf[/B] and [B]Al Davis[/B].)

Parcells spoke highly of former assistant Bill Belichick. Their relationship experienced a rough patch when Belichick, refusing to honor his contract as Parcells' successor, bolted the Jets in 2000. Now they have condos in the same building in Jupiter, Fla., Belichick two floors above Parcells.

"We see each other from time to time," Parcells said. "We've had many conversations. We worked together a very, very long time. We were in the same office together for 10 years. You just can't dismiss things like that. He was a big help to me when we were both assistant coaches together, and when I was the head coach, he was a vital part of our organization. Hopefully, I've been a help to him at some point ... He's a great coach. We get along just fine."

Parcells has his own ESPN draft show (April 26), and he said he's in discussion with the network about the possibility of a future gig. What about a return to the NFL?

"No, I'm done," he said. "I know I've said that before, so you better put it down in pencil. I'll be 70 years old in August. I'm enjoying my time now. I left Miami Oct. 1 last year, and this is the first time I've had any extended time to myself. This is a good time for me. Fortunately, I'm in good health. I still have a lot of things Id like to do in my life, but I'm going to leave the NFL to someone else now."

[B]The feeling here is that Parcells deserves a place in the Jets' Ring of Honor. What do you think?[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, best coach the Jets ever had, present coach excluded.

[QUOTE=lyons93;4003769]No way Parcells deserves the NYJ ring of honor. He left us high and dry after the 1999 season. He helped us with a good draft in 2001, but I could have done that as well. He had 4 first round picks.
    Worse than that, he totally mismanaged the 1999 season after Vinny got hurt, and replaced him with Rick Mirer for way too long. He should have realized a lot earlier that Ray Lucas was the better choice.[/QUOTE]

I think your selling Parcells short on this one. How many people would give Lucas, an undrafted free agent special teamer a shot at QB? Remeber, Mirer was a big name high first round pick out of a big school. It took Parcells brains and guts to sit Mirer for Lucas.

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;4003798]I think your selling Parcells short on this one. How many people would give Lucas, an undrafted free agent special teamer a shot at QB? Remeber, Mirer was a big name high first round pick out of a big school. It took Parcells brains and guts to sit Mirer for Lucas.[/QUOTE]

Take it one step further. How many other coaches would go 6-2 with Ray Lucas at QB when he never played QB in the NFL before that (even in practice, I believe)??? I thought that was one of the most amazing feats ever and I watched Ray Lucas play at Rutgers. He was the INT king and couldn't read defenses in college, even though he put up big passing stats at Rutgers. I am always amazed at the amount of people who hate Parcells given the fact that he turned around our franchise. We should have won the Superbowl in 1998 but for our players fumbling the ball all over the place without being touched. The offensive playmakers completely choked. We would have killed the Falcons in the Superbowl.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 04-18-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

He said when he came to the Jets he would coach for 3 years and did.. And the 4 picks were the 2000 draft.. I agree on Mirer ...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... big N.O. from this guy ...

... he was mercenary who came in as a hired gun ...

... parcells did a great thing in straightening our ship out ...

... he was here on a temporary work visa though ... [B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]our team's ring of honor [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]should belong to [B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="seagreen"]those who GAVE their hearts & soul to this team [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]... [B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkRed"]not those who TEMPORARILY RENTED there brains and brawn to us[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] ...

l_j_r

Banned
    No. Coaches are useless. It's all about the players.

Ask all the Schotty lovers. They REALLY know football. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4003868]No. Coaches are useless. It's all about the players.

Ask all the Schotty lovers. They REALLY know football. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Turn a Parcells thread into a hate Schotty thread...... perhaps a therapist might be in order?;)

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4003913]Turn a Parcells thread into a hate Schotty thread...... perhaps a therapist might be in order?;)[/QUOTE]

Not trying to do that. Just saying Parcells shouldn't be in the Ring of Honor because according to Schotty lovers, coaches have no worth. They're just there for the announcers to focus on between plays.

Other than that there's no point in them being on the field.

Their words, not mine.

Parcells should absolutely be in the Ring of Honor.

You cannot overstate how pitiful this franchise was when he took it over. The Jets were 4-32 in the 36 games prior to his hire. They went 22-12 in his first two years, and have been consistently competitive and frequently in the postseason since. He also coached the Jets to their first division title since the merger, an achievement that struck down one of the team's more dubious black marks.

Yeah, he left quickly. But if you judge someone by whether they leave something better than they found it, he grades out exceptionally.

Jets Insider VIP
    Based on their respective NYJ bodies of work he is the 3rd best coach in NYJ history.

1-Weeb, Super Bowl winner....
    2-Rex. back to back AFC championships(soon to be #1 On the list)
    3-Bill.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JohnnyJet;4004397]Based on their respective NYJ bodies of work he is the 3rd best coach in NYJ history.

1-Weeb, Super Bowl winner....
    2-Rex. back to back AFC championships(soon to be #1 On the list)
    3-Bill.[/QUOTE]

this. And Schotty still sucks.

(source, you owe me $5.) :D

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

Parcells definitely should be in the Ring of Honor. The Jets were a League joke when he took over, and he got us to the AFC Championship in his 2nd year. Bringing in Curtis Martin was a brillant move. Who knows what would have happened if Vinny doesn't go down in the first game in '99. And starting Ray Lucas, as the previous poster mentioned, was a gutsy decision. I don't blame him for the Belichek fiasco - that was totally unexpected.

He did a great job for the Jets, both as a coach and in the front office. He deserves to be honored for reversing years of futility.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=rorjets;4004959] And starting Ray Lucas, was a gutsy decision. [/QUOTE]

... he didn't start lucas until the other schmoe rick mirer had already $h*t the bed ...

[QUOTE]
    Who knows what would have happened if Vinny doesn't go down in the first game in '99.
    [/QUOTE]

... while true, the blame for not having a backup qb on the roster falls squarely on his shoulders (vinny had been a fitness and workout warrior so i can understand the decision to undervalue backup qb spot & agree with it on our team today in regards to the cap ... but ... bottom line - if parcells get's credit for other things ... he also gets the blame for no backup qb ...

... he also did some funny business that week 1 game vs. new england where vinnie got hurt & tom tupa had to finish the game for us ... something about who was listed as #2 qb ... who was listed as #3 qb ...

... i believe he's a hall of fame coach ...

... no for his 3 years with the J-E-T-S in our ring of honor ...

... def no for his GM skills ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    No way Parcells deserves a spot in the Ring of Honor. He was here what, 3 years? And accomplished what, an AFC Championship loss?

He deserves a lot of credit for turning around the franchise, but I don't see how he deserves to be, er, "immortalized" so to speak for his three years.