Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft any fun?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft any fun?

Has anyone here been to the draft? Is it worth the hassle of getting tickets? Any info about how it works and the experience would be helpful.

Here's what the NFL says:
    [I]All persons wishing for an opportunity to attend the Draft on Thursday, April 28 may line up beginning at 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27 on the 50th Street side of Radio City Music Hall with wristband distribution beginning at approximately midnight. Wristbands to secure a ticket for entry into the Draft on Thursday will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. All persons wishing to attend the Draft must be present in order to receive a wristband. No exceptions will be made.

Fans who receive these wristbands then may line up for entry into the Draft beginning at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 28 at which time they will receive their ticket indicating their seat location. Tickets will be distributed at random. Doors open at 6:40 p.m. Fan entry will take place at the "Carriage Door Entrance" located on 50th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.[/I]

** Edited: At first I had copy/pasted the instructions for the 2010 draft. (They should really take that page down.)
    Last edited by Mike135; 04-19-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

couldn't have been more bored

but then I'm not a mock enthusiast and could care less about who goes to other teams. The few times I went to the Jets Draft parties I had a real good time. At 50+ I've kinda outgrown this and have my doubts about doing it at NMS. I've been to 2 drafts but I'll never ever attend another. Only went to the 2nd one because Sooth got me into the VIP area. Still pretty lame. If you go I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;4003825]but then I'm not a mock enthusiast and could care less about who goes to other teams. The few times I went to the Jets Draft parties I had a real good time. At 50+ I've kinda outgrown this and have my doubts about doing it at NMS. I've been to 2 drafts but I'll never ever attend another. Only went to the 2nd one because Sooth got me into the VIP area. Still pretty lame. If you go I hope you enjoy it more than I did.[/QUOTE]

Hm, thanks. Some good info and probably saved me from a lot of boredom. Seems like it may be a lot of waiting on line, followed by waiting bored in your seats. Then maybe a couple minutes of cheering here and there during important picks and obviously the Jet pick.

Based on your review, I may just hit the stadium.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... if you go ... just don't make yourself look like a total idiotic baffoon and boo the sanchez selection to get on tv ...

l_j_r

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went the year Keyshawn was drafted. It was fun. Don't think I'd go now the way it's structured. If you go to Round 1 Thursday night with the Jets picking 30, you'll have to wait a long time for their pick and they could end up trading down which means you wouldn't see them pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTJetsFanII;4003927]Went the year Keyshawn was drafted. It was fun. Don't think I'd go now the way it's structured. If you go to Round 1 Thursday night with the Jets picking 30, you'll have to wait a long time for their pick and they could end up trading down which means you wouldn't see them pick.[/QUOTE]

I barely wanna even watch on TV based on what you said above...I cannot imagine the sheer boredom that would be attending the draft, especially with all of the uncertainty surrounding this one.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike135;4003824]Has anyone here been to the draft? Is it worth the hassle of getting tickets? Any info about how it works and the experience would be helpful.

Here's what the NFL says:
    [I]All persons wishing for an opportunity to attend the Draft on Thursday, April 28 may line up beginning at 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27 on the 50th Street side of Radio City Music Hall with wristband distribution beginning at approximately midnight. Wristbands to secure a ticket for entry into the Draft on Thursday will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. All persons wishing to attend the Draft must be present in order to receive a wristband. No exceptions will be made.

Fans who receive these wristbands then may line up for entry into the Draft beginning at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 28 at which time they will receive their ticket indicating their seat location. Tickets will be distributed at random. Doors open at 6:40 p.m. Fan entry will take place at the "Carriage Door Entrance" located on 50th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.[/I]

** Edited: At first I had copy/pasted the instructions for the 2010 draft. (They should really take that page down.)[/QUOTE]

I went to last year's draft. It's one thing to see the Jets fans on TV...but to be a part of it, I think, is somewhat worthwhile. There are the other 31 picks...and then there's the Jets' pick. The buzz and excitement is like nothing else - we actually got on NFL Network TV.

Having said that, I won't go again, but if you do have a shot it's worth it, especially with day 1 being only 1 round. The downside is if your team trades out of the 1st - saw the Vikings' superfan on the way out, he was really pissed that he did the whole trip for nothing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went when we drafted Gholtson...

terribly bored. I left after pick 15.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    went many times when it was in a smaller scale environment in hotel ballrooms and once since ESPN took over and delayed picks until their commercials were over

arguably the most boring 2 or now three day event in the entire sports year IMO since it was turned into a TV vehicle for Berman and Kiper's head of hair

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4004267]went many times when it was in a smaller scale environment in hotel ballrooms and once since ESPN took over and delayed picks until their commercials were over

arguably the most boring 2 or now three day event in the entire sports year IMO since it was turned into a TV vehicle for Berman and Kiper's head of hair[/QUOTE]

It would be cool if, once the draft was done, all of the drafts picks fielded teams and played an actual game. But :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say the draft party at the stadium is more worthwhile (assuming they're doing it again, which I imagine they are). I went last year. Wasn't great, but at least they have the 1050 ESPN Radio guys set up there and some players in attendance.

Friends of mine went to the draft two years ago (I turned down the invite because I thought it would suck). All of them had bad things to say and said they'd never go back. Even if it's a cool atmosphere when the Jets pick, it just isn't worth the hours of waiting and boredom.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The draft is a TV/Internet event. You don't get the full effect unless you're flipping between ESPN and NFLN and getting the fan reaction online. I could see going if your team has one of the top 5 picks and you want to cheer (or boo) the selection. Outside of that, I'd imagine there's a better experience to be had watching from home.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went the year Sanchez got drafted and it was a blast. Totally worth it. Got to meet and talk to Aaron Curry as well.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sanchise;4006785]I went the year Sanchez got drafted and it was a blast. Totally worth it. Got to meet and talk to Aaron Curry as well.[/QUOTE]

... hope to God you weren't one of the mental midget's who booo'd him and made total *$$es of themselves!!! ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4004267]went many times when it was in a smaller scale environment in hotel ballrooms and once since ESPN took over and delayed picks until their commercials were over

arguably the most boring 2 or now three day event in the entire sports year IMO since it was turned into a TV vehicle for Berman and Kiper's head of hair[/QUOTE]

Remember when it was on a weekday at the Sheridan and you just walked up and took a seat?

Thanks to ESPN and their desperation to find programing, those days are long gone. :steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4006860]... hope to God you weren't one of the mental midget's who booo'd him and made total *$$es of themselves!!! ...
    l_j_r[/QUOTE]

It was a small group, of two?, who made fools of themselves

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4004893]The draft is a TV/Internet event. You don't get the full effect unless you're flipping between ESPN and NFLN and getting the fan reaction online. I could see going if your team has one of the top 5 picks and you want to cheer (or boo) the selection. Outside of that, I'd imagine there's a better experience to be had watching from home.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like someone who has never gone to the draft. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    remember those days well, Jet Nut

left my home in Queens and got on the line outside whatever hotel it was at around 5 AM. Nice Bagel and coffee from the deli across the street while waiting. Let the fans in to head up to the 3-4 rows of seats overlooking the draft tables around 7 or 8 or so and started the draft at 9 or 10 AM ---

I was there looking right down at the Jets table when they had the chance to draft Marino in 1983 and watched them screw up the franchise for more than a decade by drafting Ken O'Statue instead.

Remember the Midget fans booing when George Rogers was picked and they had to settle for Lawrence Taylor with the second pick and, then in another draft booing wildly at the selection of Phil Simms

As for our geniuses.... well, most of the years I went, Mike "I'm a total ignoramus" Hickey was our GM so I got to see the drafting of stars like Johnny Lam Jones and Ralph Clayton in the first two rounds, Jeff "Third Rounder on all boards" Lageman in the first round, the great Admiral Dewey Larry and pretty much ALL of the fiascos of Jet drafting history (1980's and early 90's edition)

Which is why I am so thankful that Mike Tannenbaum is now in charge of our draft

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4006944]It was a small group, of two?, who made fools of themselves[/QUOTE]

... true ... but they deserve to be called to the carpet at every opportunity for it ;) ...

l_j_r

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4006969]Which is why I am so thankful that Mike Tannenbaum is now in charge of our draft[/QUOTE]

... amen!!! :yes::yes::yes: ...

l_j_r