Thread: WR Courtney Smith to visit with the Jets Tuesday

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

WR Courtney Smith to visit with the Jets Tuesday

South Alabama wide receiver Courtney Smith has an official visit with the New York Jets on Tuesday, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

There aren't many more imposing downfield targets available in the draft than Smith.

He represents the prototype wideout at 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, providing a difficult matchup for smaller cornerbacks.

Smith played in the Senior Bowl.

Smith initially attended Alabama-Birmingham where he played with Minnesota Vikings quarterback Joe Webb before tranferring to Southeastern Louisiana. Due to academic credit issues, he transferred to South Alabama.

When Smith was in high school, he couldn't contact his parents for a month after Hurrican Katrina ravaged his hometown of New Orleans.
    He wound up being recruited by Alabama, LSU, Florida State, Memphis, Troy, Tulane and Southern Methodist.

Smith caught six passes for 33 yards as a true freshman at UAB.

Smith grew up playing basketball as well as football.

Smith ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 and 4.65 seconds at the Crimson Tide Pro Day with a 4.24 short shuttle, a 7.01 three-cone drill, a 32-inch vertical leap and a 9-8 broad jump.

Smith had a slow start on both of his 40-yard dashes with one AFC North scout approaching him afterward to tell him that his time would have been in the 4.5 range with a decent start.

Smith has drawn interest from several teams since the Senior Bowl, including the Baltimore Ravens, Denver Broncos and the Minnesota Vikings.

Smith caught 20 passes for 679 yards and five touchdowns as a junior.

And he caught 39 passes for 603 yards and five touchdowns as a senior.

That included 10 receptions for 141 yards against Arkansas-Monticello.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...n-Tuesday.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like this dude. He's got TO or Colston type of potential. He's a train wreck of a person but as an NFL WR there's alot to like and he's probably available in the 7th round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I like this dude. He's got TO or Colston type of potential. He's a train wreck of a person but as an NFL WR there's alot to like and he's probably available in the 7th round.

I agree...like his size...and with the right work he could become a very good WR...but long range project I feel..