Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Rex loves cornerbacks

  1. #1

    Rex loves cornerbacks

    we spend alot of time talking about which front seven player to target... Brooks Reed, Phil Taylor, Cam heyward blah blah blah

    but let's take a step back

    Rex Ryan loves cornerbacks. this is a proven fact. Ozzie Newsome said it when the Jets hired Rex he'd have a sign on his neck saying "get me corners"

    Yes the Jets have 1 amazing cornerback Revis under contract. But that amazing player has a history of holdouts. if he does it again that 3rd strike might be "youre out"

    who else do they have?

    Kyle Wilson last year's #1 is a huge question mark.

    Marques Cole is a nice dime player and special teamer.

    and that's it.

    Dwight Lowery ended last year at Free safety. Cro just signed with CAA and is not under contract. Drew coleman also not under contract.

    the Jets have alot of questions at cornerback still... what if someone gets hurt?

    don't be surprised if instead of a big ugly DL we get a Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams, Ras-I Dowling, Brandon Harris type of pick.

    Cause remember Rex can find linemen... like he found Justin Bannan, Kelly Gregg, Mike Devito, Sione Pouha, Rapoti Pitoitua... and he's developing MTV, Dixon, Gilbert, Kroul etc.

    He can manufacture pressure... it would be nice to have a demarcus Ware but even without a 10 sack a year guy the Jets pass rush is always hovering around the top 10 mark in the league. He uses D backs and zone dogs and makes pressure out of thin air. (its also questionable if there is a 10 sack a year guy available at 30... these guys go top 10)

    but the one thing Rex cannot fake what he needs his cornerbacks to do. and thats press coverage on an island. And you can't find bump and run studs in round 4 and 5.

    so don't be surprised. I think im gonna leave my mock with a CB to the Jets and see what happens. Im also projecting a DE to the Giants, and no linebackers to the Eagles... and no underclassmen to the Jags.

    Cause historically, that's what these teams do.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-19-2011 at 09:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    we spend alot of time talking about which front seven player to target... Brooks Reed, Phil Taylor, Cam heyward blah blah blah

    but let's take a step back

    Rex Ryan loves cornerbacks. this is a proven fact. Ozzie Newsome said it when the Jets hired Rex he'd have a sign on his neck saying "get me corners"

    Yes the Jets have 1 amazing cornerback Revis under contract. But that amazing player has a history of holdouts. if he does it again that 3rd strike might be "youre out"

    who else do they have?

    Kyle Wilson last year's #1 is a huge question mark.

    Marques Cole is a nice dime player and special teamer.

    and that's it.

    Dwight Lowery ended last year at Free safety. Cro just signed with CAA and is not under contract. Drew coleman also not under contract.

    the Jets have alot of questions at cornerback still... what if someone gets hurt?

    don't be surprised if instead of a big ugly DL we get a Jimmy Smith, Ras-I Dowling, Brandon Harris type of pick.

    Cause remember Rex can find linemen... like he found Justin Bannan, Kelly Gregg, Mike Devito, Sione Pouha, Rapoti Pitoitua... and he's developing MTV, Dixon, Gilbert, Kroul etc.

    He can manufacture pressure... it would be nice to have a demarcus Ware but even without a 10 sack a year guy the Jets pass rush is always hovering around the top 10 mark in the league. He uses D backs and zone dogs and makes pressure out of thin air.

    but the one thing Rex cannot fake what he needs his cornerbacks to do. and thats press coverage on an island. And you can't find bump and run studs in round 4 and 5.

    so don't be surprised. I think im gonna leave my mock with a CB to the Jets and see what happens. Im also projecting a DE to the Giants, and no linebackers to the Eagles... and no underclassmen to the Jags.

    Cause historically, that's what these teams do.

    Here is the problem, there is decent and there is good, you have to be good to win super bowls or be competitive long term. If you have decent and decent gets hurt you go to weak. Also we don't manufacture a pass rush out of thin air, we have to compromise the defense too often to generate a pass rush and even if we generate it we simply do not have guys that can get to the QB as often as they should. Each time you bring a safety you are giving something up, single CB coverage, a LB trying to cover someone.

    Now we could maintain our really good defense by doing the status quo and living on exotic blitzs but we could be a great defense if we had one guy that other teams had to game plan for, double team or at least chip.

    I won't totally freak if we pick a CB as long as the top value d-lineman are gone but I will freak if we go with a CB and there are some still on the board.

    Smith? Not worth the risk. See Britt, Talib, Cox etc.. all guys with character issues that have a decent year then f'up.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,937
    We need to bolster the D line, the majority of the game is played there, we will get corners. We need a playmaker at the snap and the rest will fall into place.

  4. #4
    I got two more pieces of evidence to submit to the courtroom:

    last year (go ahead and search) it was all about DL. The Jets traded for Cro pre draft so that filled the CB need... we had threads... oh we had threads... about Cody, Odrick and every other DL within a square mile of that first round pick. What happened? Rex took a cornerback.

    my second piece of evidence is the psquad. The Jets have developed DL from the taxi squad. They have guys like Jamaal Westerman, Cody Brown and Garrett MacIntyre floating around to possibly be an OLB.

    but are there any corners on the taxi squad? hell no. Cause you can't just find man to man corners. It's like finding a left tackle. The foot speed required for this role is rare. Guys that are near 6 feet tall run backwards faster than they do forwards is rare. You can find zone corners. The Jets have no use for these players, except to maybe convert em to safety.

    In conclusion I don't know which corner it will be exactly but I suspect they go after a cornerback, alot earlier than most are predicting.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,121
    Hey, don't have to convince me. I went from six to noon in my pants when i realized we might take Jimmy Smith.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,703
    Hopefully the Eagles will take Smith so we wont even have the possibility of screwing up and taking Smith.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Hopefully the Eagles will take Smith so we wont even have the possibility of screwing up and taking Smith.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Im confused.

    Are you saying that the Eagles will take Rudolph or that the Jets will?

    Either scenario is ridiculous, but makes a lot of sense coming from you

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Don't count out WR either.

    There's a good possibility that both Holmes and Brad Smith move on, that leaves just Edwards and Cotchery. Cotchery isn't getting any younger.

    I'm pretty confident that they WILL draft a WR at some point, and if Baldwin is still there at 30, he could be the pick.

    No matter what, they should be strictly going BPA.

    Bit, I agree with most of what you say about the PS guys on the DL. There are a bunch of them and I feel like at least one or two will turn into good players. Dixon (NT) and Gilbert (RDE) could be starters in a year or so.

    One thing they really do need, however, is a quality OLB... might even need two of them. I just don't know if there will be any available when the Jets pick at 30.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,967
    I could care less how much he loves CB's.

    This whole argument about how we should just neglect the DL and LB corps simply because Rex has found an overachiever here and there is ridiculous.

    For some reason you keep throwing out these names like Pitoitua, Teveseu, McIntyre, and Cody Brown as if they've shown even a glimpse of contributing to this team. None of those guys have proven to be anything more than practice squad material thusfar.


    Taking another CB early is a bonehead move IMO. Especially with arguably the best DL crop of the past 20+ years. We just took Wilson in Round 1 last year and gave up our 2nd round pick this year for Cromartie. Now we're going to spend another 1st on a corner?

    Sorry, not a big fan of that scenario.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Im confused.

    Are you saying that the Eagles will take Rudolph or that the Jets will?

    Either scenario is ridiculous, but makes a lot of sense coming from you
    I would love if the Jets traded back a little and took Rudolph. He's exactly what the offense is missing IMO.

    End the experiment with Keller as a traditional TE and let him play to his strengths out wide.

    They will probably need another WR anyway, so adding a quality TE might kill two birds with one stone. Keller becomes the psuedo WR they need and Rudolph is the balanced TE who can both block and catch -- something the Jets haven't had in a while.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Especially with arguably the best DL crop of the past 20+ years.

    Sorry, not a big fan of that scenario.
    if there are 13 or 14 defensive linemen picked by 30 what is the chance that the 15th is gonna be that 10 sack a year stud we are looking for?

    chances are better that the 3rd or 4th CB is a very good player.

    here's another question (not rhetoric, i don't know the answer) can anyone think of a late first round sack master? It seems like these guys either go top 15 (like Abraham or Ware) or they come out of nowhere like Jared Allen or James Harrison.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I could care less how much he loves CB's.

    This whole argument about how we should just neglect the DL and LB corps simply because Rex has found an overachiever here and there is ridiculous.

    For some reason you keep throwing out these names like Pitoitua, Teveseu, McIntyre, and Cody Brown as if they've shown even a glimpse of contributing to this team. None of those guys have proven to be anything more than practice squad material thusfar.


    Taking another CB early is a bonehead move IMO. Especially with arguably the best DL crop of the past 20+ years. We just took Wilson in Round 1 last year and gave up our 2nd round pick this year for Cromartie. Now we're going to spend another 1st on a corner?

    Sorry, not a big fan of that scenario.
    A big +1

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,967
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    if there are 13 or 14 defensive linemen picked by 30 what is the chance that the 15th is gonna be that 10 sack a year stud we are looking for?

    chances are better that the 3rd or 4th CB is a very good player.

    here's another question (not rhetoric, i don't know the answer) can anyone think of a late first round sack master? It seems like these guys either go top 15 (like Abraham or Ware) or they come out of nowhere like Jared Allen or James Harrison.
    It's a useless argument simply because you know just as well as I do that there's no way in hell that 15 DL go off the board by #30.

    I'm not looking for my 5-techs to register 10 sacks a year in the first place. If we get a guy who can post 10+ sacks a year as a 3-4 DE, then we likely have a player who is not only HOF bound, but a player who will be on his way to becoming one of the greatest DL ever.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I got two more pieces of evidence to submit to the courtroom:

    last year (go ahead and search) it was all about DL. The Jets traded for Cro pre draft so that filled the CB need... we had threads... oh we had threads... about Cody, Odrick and every other DL within a square mile of that first round pick. What happened? Rex took a cornerback.

    my second piece of evidence is the psquad. The Jets have developed DL from the taxi squad. They have guys like Jamaal Westerman, Cody Brown and Garrett MacIntyre floating around to possibly be an OLB.

    but are there any corners on the taxi squad? hell no. Cause you can't just find man to man corners. It's like finding a left tackle. The foot speed required for this role is rare. Guys that are near 6 feet tall run backwards faster than they do forwards is rare. You can find zone corners. The Jets have no use for these players, except to maybe convert em to safety.

    In conclusion I don't know which corner it will be exactly but I suspect they go after a cornerback, alot earlier than most are predicting.
    1. Last year the DL class fell apart....someone like Greg Hardy, who a year earlier might have been a 1st or 2nd round pick, went in the 6th...another guy like that, Oghobaase, saw his body fall apart during the season and didn't even get drafted....Someone like Dan Williams not only went before our pick, but had the knock of being a one year wonder....

    2. As they fell apart, guys like Wilson, Jackson, Robinson, Cook and others rose...last year's CB and DB class in general was pretty damn good.

    3. We have the highest paid corner in the game and last year's first rounder at CB...It doesn't seem like much I know, but I'm sure they can find a decent CB else later in the draft. THIS is the DL draft, not last year.

    4. Who in the heck is Garrett McIntyre and why should I have any hope for him?

    5. I like Cody Brown and Westerman...particularly Westerman...they're not playing the DL for us.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It's a useless argument simply because you know just as well as I do that there's no way in hell that 15 DL go off the board by #30. .
    I'd be careful about making that statement...

    here's 10 easy peasy.

    Dareus
    Fairly
    Jordan
    Liuget
    Quinn
    Watt
    Houston
    Wilkerson
    Kerrigan
    Bowers
    ************
    Heyward.


    Thats alot untouchable. Stop and realize that. Heyward is the cut off. Afterwards, fck that. Gimme Jimmy Smith.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,952
    Rex did not find devito or pouha. They were both already on the team when rex got here.

    We are not going corner. We spent a 1st on revis, a 1st on wilson and a 2nd on cro. It would be millenesque to go corner with pick 1.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It's a useless argument simply because you know just as well as I do that there's no way in hell that 15 DL go off the board by #30.
    "Locks to go"

    1. Marcell Dareus
    2. Nick Fairley
    3. Cam Jordan
    4. JJ Watt
    5. Robert Quinn
    6. Aldon Smith
    7. Ryan Kerrigan

    "should be gone"

    8. Da'Quan Bowers
    9. Justin Houston
    10. Cam Heyward
    11. Adrian Clayborn
    12. Muhammad Wilkerson

    "should make it there"

    13. Brooks Reed
    14. Phil Taylor
    15. Jabaal Sheard
    16. Corey Liuget
    17. Allen Bailey
    18. Christian Ballard
    19. Stephen Paea
    20. Marvin Austin

    so even if there are 12 names gone... that 13th-20th name... how good are they really gonna be?

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Rex did not find devito or pouha. They were both already on the team when rex got here.

    We are not going corner. We spent a 1st on revis, a 1st on wilson and a 2nd on cro. It would be millenesque to go corner with pick 1.
    Seriously.

    What you Smith guys aren't realizing is that the Jets have allready put so much into the corner position.

    It's simply a poor uses of resources when there are other needs on the team.

    Is Smith that good that we can take him and ignore our run/pass rush problems?

    Not even close.

    Tight ends will still rape us over the middle regardless of who our corners are unless we can find some one to pressure the qb, or take up multiple blocks to allow pressure from somewhere else.

    Maybe at 30 none of the DE's or OLB's are certain to provide that, but I mean, we gotta take a shot.

    Its also just as much a question mark that Smith will pan out as is questioning the quality of DE's at #30.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,121
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    "Locks to go"

    1. Marcell Dareus
    2. Nick Fairley
    3. Cam Jordan
    4. JJ Watt
    5. Robert Quinn
    6. Aldon Smith
    7. Ryan Kerrigan

    "should be gone"

    8. Da'Quan Bowers
    9. Justin Houston
    10. Cam Heyward
    11. Adrian Clayborn
    12. Muhammad Wilkerson

    "should make it there"

    13. Brooks Reed
    14. Phil Taylor
    15. Jabaal Sheard
    16. Corey Liuget
    17. Allen Bailey
    18. Christian Ballard
    19. Stephen Paea
    20. Marvin Austin

    so even if there are 12 names gone... that 13th-20th name... how good are they really gonna be?

    ^^^ This times a million. and one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us