Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex loves cornerbacks

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Rex did not find devito or pouha. They were both already on the team when rex got here.

We are not going corner. We spent a 1st on revis, a 1st on wilson and a 2nd on cro. It would be millenesque to go corner with pick 1.
    i don't know if it can be put any clearer than this. the team is about to lose ellis and lost jenkins. the olbs are aging. with no 2nd round pick, the jets pretty much need to go dl/lb with their first 2 picks, and hit on both.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    1. Last year the DL class fell apart....
    my point wasn't about the class. it was that we as a group debated these DL all spring and in the end, it wasn't a DL.

Rex can fake a pass rush. Rex can fake a front seven.

Rex cannot fake a man to man cornerback.

and I dont care if they used a 2nd on Cro, he's gone. the dude just signed with CAA that means he's going rod tidwell style show me the money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    my point wasn't about the class. it was that we as a group debated these DL all spring and in the end, it wasn't a DL.

and I dont care if they used a 2nd on Cro, he's gone. the dude just signed with CAA that means he's going rod tidwell style show me the money.
    Rex CAN NOT fake a pass rush consistently. Anyone who watched this team over the course of the year can tell you that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    S
    Tight ends will still rape us over the middle regardless of who our corners are unless we can find some one to pressure the qb, or take up multiple blocks to allow pressure from somewhere else.

Maybe at 30 none of the DE's or OLB's are certain to provide that, but I mean, we gotta take a shot.
    Fine, I'll bite (your TE remark won me over).

We gotta take a shot? Then HAVE TO trade back. ...Not like, we'll see what falls into our laps. No. We have to be on the phone, calling teams offering the pick at discount if need be.

Fck taking a mid 2nd rnd talent guy @ 30, who'll see the field 20% of the season... just cause.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Fine, I'll bite (your TE remark won me over).

We gotta take a shot? Then HAVE TO trade back. ...Not like, we'll see what falls into our laps. No. We have to be on the phone, calling teams offering the pick at discount if need be.

Fck taking a mid 2nd rnd talent guy @ 30, who'll see the field 20% of the season... just cause.
    If Cameron Heyward is there, **** trading back, we take him.

Other guys, yes, that would be a good strategy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    here's another question (not rhetoric, i don't know the answer) can anyone think of a late first round sack master? It seems like these guys either go top 15 (like Abraham or Ware) or they come out of nowhere like Jared Allen or James Harrison.
    Yes.

Jason Babin 27th overall.
    Woodley 14th in 2nd round.
    Clay Matthews 26th overall.
    Aaron Schobel 15th in 2nd round.
    Darren Howard 2nd in 2nd round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another question regarding the "Rex loves CB's" theory.

If this is true, why would he take another one a year after Wilson, essentially giving up on him?

If Rex loves CB's so much he should be able to be confident that he can help Wilson develop into a player.

If he thinks Wilson is a lost cause, he should be wary of picking another corner in the first.

Either way I dont see how this theory means we take Smith.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4004051]

QUOTE]

he couldn't fake a run defense against the steelers in the afc championship game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex can fake a pass rush.
    well he didnt fake a pass rush all last season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be careful about making that statement...

here's 10 easy peasy.

Dareus
    Fairly
    Jordan
    Liuget
    Quinn
    Watt
    Houston
    Wilkerson
    Kerrigan
    Bowers
    Heyward.

Thats alot untouchable. Stop and realize that. Heyward is the cut off. Afterwards, fck that. Gimme Jimmy Smith.
    I'll give you all of those names minus Liuget and Houston. It wouldn't surprise me at all if those guys are still on the board in the mid 2nd round.

Everyone loves this DL class, but someone is going to fall.

Especially with so many teams locked on to the QB's.

If Heyward or Wilkerson are still on the board in the #22-25 range, then I say picks be damned and trade up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

No, he can't. His last team consistently put out a top front 7 year after year after year, and not because he faked them...w/e that even means.

Also, last year by Senior Bowl everyone was on the CB class...I specifically remember the buzz about Wilson...not only that but I walked into last year's draft day fully expecting them to grab a CB....d'you remember all the talk of how the Colts had 3-4 WRs to beat us but we didn't have 3-4 CBs? I do. Early on last year's class was hyped as a DL class (Arthur Jones, Oghobaase, Hardy, etc...All at one pointed projected as 1st/2nd round picks) but by the end of the CFB season the DBs were the talk of the draft. That said, yeah...we did debate the crap out of Cody and friends.

Jets have made 2 front 7 first round picks since '03 when they took Robertson...Vilma and Gholston...it's time to look at that part of the field again.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-19-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'll give you all of those names minus Liuget and Houston. It wouldn't surprise me at all if those guys are still on the board in the mid 2nd round.

If Heyward or Wilkerson are still on the board in the #22-25 range, then I say picks be damned and trade up.
    Players fall every year.

Who thought Wilson was going to be there for us last year?

One of Wilkerson, Heyward, Taylor will be there for us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Players fall every year.

One of Wilkerson, Heyward, Taylor will be there for us.
    i think someone worth taking will be there at 30. i think the bigger question is, should the jets look to trade back into the 2nd round to get extra picks, and would they be as happy with the guy they could pick 10 spots later.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I most certainly think we need CB depth in this draft, but I don't see us spending the first or third on it.

Here me out on this, but I think CBs should be handled like RBs of the defense. It's a position where most guys hit their peaks earlier than at other positions and one where talent tends to slope downward quickly once they hit age 30.

As a result, especially in this defense, I think it would be to our benefit to draft a corner each year and to always have depth. Not necessarily starters, but at least some guys to develop. Spending money on a FA corner is one of the worst investments. Now with Revis on one side it makes things easier, but I am all for always stockpiling the CB depth chart whenever we can. Keep these guys for 4-5 years and let em walk when their contract demands outweigh their potential value to the team.

I still say 5 tech DE / OLB in first round though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually wouldn't be opposed to this pick. Look at what having two stud TEs did for New England's offense. You win games in the NFL with offense, and the Jets didn't score a TD in four of their losses last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think someone worth taking will be there at 30. i think the bigger question is, should the jets look to trade back into the 2nd round to get extra picks, and would they be as happy with the guy they could pick 10 spots later.
    If Hewyard is there at 30, I say take him.

If not, I would have no problems with a trade back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon Pettigrew!!! Wait...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Cameron Heyward is there, **** trading back, we take him.

Other guys, yes, that would be a good strategy.
    Obviously. I was speaking in terms of Heyward being gone and we're having to reach back for someone just to say "we got one".

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

If Heyward or Wilkerson are still on the board in the #22-25 range, then I say picks be damned and trade up .
    Meh. If Jordan makes it as far as #20, which he won't, then picks be damned.

Liuget and Houston aren't good fits here i don't think. Them still being on the board would be the worst case scenario as that would Heyward and Wilk are likely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    Ya I agree. I think walking away from the first 3 rnds with a 2nd DE like Bailey and OLB like Carter, is better than just getting Ayers and some late DE like Thorton, who I don't mind.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Jets ranked 8th in sacks last year.

the board seems to think this is unacceptable but statistically it's not a problem.