Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex loves cornerbacks

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack View Post
    I actually wouldn't be opposed to this pick. Look at what having two stud TEs did for New England's offense. You win games in the NFL with offense, and the Jets didn't score a TD in four of their losses last year.
    I'm telling you guys. If he makes it past ATL, and then the BUF - TEN stretch in rnd two, wowzers! 6'6 - 260... blocking and catching? He's the perfect compliment to Keller.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Brandon Pettigrew!!! Wait...
    Much sadness...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Brandon Pettigrew!!! Wait...
    lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the Jets ranked 8th in sacks last year.

the board seems to think this is unacceptable but statistically it's not a problem.
    Statistically its not a problem?

WTF does this even me?

Its not the amount of sacks we got, its how we got them, using goofy schemes and corner blitzes. Which btw, happened to get our secondary torched... a lot.

If we can generate real pressure with just 7, the secondary improves, the sacks improve, everything gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Statistically its not a problem?

WTF does this even me?

Its not the amount of sacks we got, its how we got them, using goofy schemes and corner blitzes. Which btw, happened to get our secondary torched... a lot.

If we can generate real pressure with just 7, the secondary improves, the sacks improve, everything gets better.
    no question it would be great to get demarcus ware at 30 overall. I don't know if that player is in this draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    no question it would be great to get demarcus ware at 30 overall. I don't know if that player is in this draft.
    Right.

But I just think that a good front 7 is way more important than a secondary.

It also just so happens that our front 7 is in desperate need of young and new talent.

Jimmy Smith isn't enough of a lock to disregard the front 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    It also just so happens that our front 7 is in desperate need of young and new talent.
    I think we, as a group, are underrating how Rex and co feel about their young talent. Devito, Pouha are studs. they have a boatload of young possibilities in the front 7.

besides Revis there are no names, young or old in the secondary. They can't start the season with Revis, Wilson, Leonard and no one else. they have no developmental corners and unless we are counting Emmanuel Cook, no safeties either.

just purely looking at the roster the secondary is again a huge need.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm telling you guys. If he makes it past ATL, and then the BUF - TEN stretch in rnd two, wowzers! 6'6 - 260... blocking and catching? He's the perfect compliment to Keller.

Much sadness...
    So once again we want to spend a 1st rounder on a part time player who shares a spot and will not be a big pass catcher (that being Kellers job description.) All we need is a blocking TE that can catch the odd pass (as opposed to the slugs Hartsock and Mulligan) I'd like to see us get a TE in this draft but no way in #1. I'd take a part time 'I can only rush the passer' olb over TE since we already have a pass catching TE.

All Pro
    we've never had a bigger need than we do at Corner right now. and Tight End. You guys just don't get it.

Last edited by Paradis; 04-19-2011 at 12:40 PM.

we've never had a bigger need than we do at Corner right now. and Tight End. You guys just don't get it.
    fwiw rick gosselin's mock has the jets taking cb aaron williams at #30.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert and don't watch tape..but reading sites there seems to be consensus that there are plenty of tier 2 / 3 CBs that can play man that will be available in the 3rd-5th round range...

Obviously they have flaws and question marks but the Jets need someone (or 2) that can get to the QB...You can have 4 Revis type CBs on the field but if you can't get to the QB you'll still get shredded.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm no expert and don't watch tape..but reading sites there seems to be consensus that there are plenty of tier 2 / 3 CBs that can play man that will be available in the 3rd-5th round range....
    I'd argue the COMPLETE opposite. Mayock was just going on about how he's been talking to GMs and they can't find 15 guys to go in the first 3 rounds. Thats the average of the past few drafts; 15 corners in the first 3 rounds, and they're struggling to make a case for 12 or 13.

I'd argue the COMPLETE opposite. Mayock was just going on about how he's been talking to GMs and they can't find 15 guys to go in the first 3 rounds. Thats the average of the past few drafts; 15 corners in the first 3 rounds, and they're struggling to make a case for 12 or 13.
    Fair enough...But CBs taken in the middle of the draft are still needed on a NFL roster and can make huge contributions...If a guy is a 4th, 5th, 6th round grade he obviously has a flaw or 2 but if he can come in and play the nickel and/or the dime packages what's wrong with that...Teams need 5 CBs nowadays with all the 4-5 WR sets and injuries...

+1 and the guys that are around in late 3 are mostly zone corners. Guys that Rex has no use for...

+1 and the guys that are around in late 3 are mostly zone corners. Guys that Rex has no use for...
    I'm not up on all these guys as much as you but some of the guys I've seen with 4th - 5th round grades (Skrine, Rogers, Josh Thomas, Chimdi Chekwa, Chykie Brown) say they can play man.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    fwiw rick gosselin's mock has the jets taking cb aaron williams at #30.
    Son of a B. That was my surprise pick I have the Jets taking in my last mock but only after a trade down. Screw it I'm going to stick with it.

Hey, don't have to convince me. I went from six to noon in my pants when i realized we might take Jimmy Smith.
    LOL at the six to noon comment. Very funny!

I'd pass on Smith though. He sounds like trouble to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Son of a B. That was my surprise pick I have the Jets taking in my last mock but only after a trade down. Screw it I'm going to stick with it.
    even though it could wind up being a value pick, i'd say most on this board would be disappointed. besides gholston, it's been a while since the jets attempted to fix the pass rush in early rounds, i think.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I'm not up on all these guys as much as you but some of the guys I've seen with 4th - 5th round grades (Skrine, Rogers, Josh Thomas, Chimdi Chekwa, Chykie Brown) say they can play man.
    Chekwa is a pure zone corner... and i think he's gone before the Jets 3rd rounder. he had a great combine. Some of those guys can't play... either system
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    even though it could wind up being a value pick, i'd say most on this board would be disappointed. besides gholston, it's been a while since the jets attempted to fix the pass rush in early rounds, i think.
    Agreed, just no one left that at that point that I wanted in regards to pass rushing. That is still my 1st want, pass rusher, then DE but if we trade down I don't mind taking another position.

but no cb outside of one in this year's draft could plausibly be expected to just step in a play pure man to man at the nfl level. Rex learned the lesson with Wilson who was great value and great raw metrics. but the pro speed and caliber of qb/wr/technique is mind-blowing for rookie cbs.

u can draft them to play zone as rookies. drafting them to play bump/run is a different beast.

en sum - no drafted cb would really help the jets secondary this year....it is at least unlikely...