Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Couldn;t Ask For a Better Example of the Abandonment of Personal Responsabillity

Couldn;t Ask For a Better Example of the Abandonment of Personal Responsabillity

[QUOTE]McDonald's Grimaces at Happy Meal Lawsuit

A lawsuit seeking to stop McDonald's Corp from offering toys with Happy Meals must be dismissed because parents can always choose not to buy the meals for their children, the hamburger giant said in a court filing late on Monday.

The lawsuit accuses McDonald's of unfairly using toys to lure children into its restaurants. The plaintiff, Monet Parham, a Sacramento, California mother of two, charges that the company's advertising violates California consumer protection laws.

The Happy Meal has been a huge hit for McDonald's -- making the company one of the world's largest toy distributors -- and spawning me-too offerings at most other fast-food chains.

One recent and very successful Happy Meal promotion was a tie-in with the popular DreamWorks Animation film "Shrek Forever After." The meals included toy watches fashioned after the movie's characters Shrek, Donkey, Gingy and Puss in Boots.

McDonald's use of Happy Meal toys also has come under fire from public health officials, parents and lawmakers who are frustrated with rising childhood obesity rates and weak anti-obesity efforts from restaurant operators, which are largely self-regulated.

Parham, who filed suit last December, is represented by the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nutrition advocacy group.

In the lawsuit, Parham admits she frequently tells her children "no" when they ask for Happy Meals, McDonald's said in Monday's court filing.

"She was not misled by any advertising, nor did she rely on any information from McDonald's," said the company. McDonald's had the suit moved to federal court, but the plaintiff plans to fight to get the case back before a California state judge.

Should Parham's lawsuit be allowed, it would spawn a host of other problematic legal proceedings, McDonald's said.

"In short, advertising to children any product that a child asks for but the parent does not want to buy would constitute an unfair trade practice," the company said.

Stephen Gardner, litigation attorney for the public interest group, said McDonald's is using a cookie cutter approach to dismissing the lawsuit, with one key difference.

"What is different about this motion is that McDonald's has chosen to blame the victim -- saying that it's all Monet Parham's fault if she doesn't force her daughter to ignore the onslaught of McDonald's marketing messages," Gardner said.

"McDonald's makes a lot of money by going around parents direct to kids, and it wants to continue with that strategy."

Most food companies have pledged not to advertise directly to children, but it is largely up to the industry to police its own actions on that front. Industry also has argued that government attempts to limit advertising crimp free speech protections.

The U.S. food industry has successfully fended off obesity-related lawsuits for years, including helping push through state laws that ban obesity-related lawsuits.

The proposed class action lawsuit in U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, is Parham v. McDonald's Corporation et al, 11-511.[/QUOTE]

Holy hell.:rolleyes:

the golden arches is gonna beat this lawsuit easily

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4004279]the golden arches is gonna beat this lawsuit easily[/QUOTE]

Didn't you say it's the government's job to shape the behavior of its people?

[QUOTE]The lawsuit accuses McDonald's of unfairly using toys to lure children into its restaurants.[/QUOTE]

I hope she wins. I want to sue all those places that unfairly use bacon to lure me into buying their breakfast sandwiches.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4004299]I hope she wins. I want to sue all those places that unfairly use bacon to lure me into buying their breakfast sandwiches.[/QUOTE]

Can I sue pigs for being so goddam delicious?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4004299]I hope she wins. I want to sue all those places that unfairly use bacon to lure me into buying their breakfast sandwiches.[/QUOTE]

I'm currently in a bacon recovery program. My knees shake every time I pass by the local diner, but all my friends are now in the anti-porcine league. People, places, and things... and a higher power, Mr. Biggs. It can be done. ;)

Just wait till Mother Earth is declared to have human rights by the UN. My class action lawsuit on behalf of victims of natural disasters is gonna make this look like small potatos.
    Last edited by Postseason; 04-19-2011 at 02:58 PM.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4004304]I'm currently in a bacon recovery program. My knees shake every time I pass by the local diner, but all my friends are now in the anti-porcine league. People, places, and things... and a higher power, Mr. Biggs. It can be done. ;)[/QUOTE]

Maybe Toys R Us should give out Bacon cheeseburgers with any purchase of a Toy Story charachter to lure in parents.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4004303]Can I sue pigs for being so goddam delicious?[/QUOTE]

Now THAT made me laugh.:yes::D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4004308]Maybe Toys R Us should give out Bacon cheeseburgers with any purchase of a Toy Story charachter to lure in parents.[/QUOTE]

Advertising to children to lure parents... now there's a novel idea. Wait until the aroma-rama tv's are launched. Every time there's a breakfast ad, the smell of crispy cooking bacon wafts into your living room. Or fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Or warm croissants.

We'll all end up looking like Baron Harkonnen in that goofy Dune movie David Lynch made.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4004304]I'm currently in a bacon recovery program. My knees shake every time I pass by the local diner, but all my friends are now in the anti-porcine league. People, places, and things... and a higher power, Mr. Biggs. It can be done. ;)[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/demotivational-posters-dennys-maple-bacon-sundae.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4004317][IMG]http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/demotivational-posters-dennys-maple-bacon-sundae.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Geez. That's not right.

But anyway, we're all screwed...

[URL]http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/japanese-claim-smell-vision-advance/story?id=11936387[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;4004279]the golden arches is gonna beat this lawsuit easily[/QUOTE]

why's that?? didn't they lose millions not too long ago because they gave hot coffee to some woman???

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4004335]Geez. That's not right.
    [/QUOTE]

But actually tasted pretty good. Well worth the 6 mos it took off of my life.... :)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4004338]But actually tasted pretty good. Well worth the 6 mos it took off of my life.... :)[/QUOTE]

Is there anything that isn't improved by bacon?

Banned
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;4004337]why's that?? didn't they lose millions not too long ago because they gave hot coffee to some woman???[/QUOTE]

I remember that lawsuit. Did the woman actually win?

Ridiculous.....

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4004295]Didn't you say it's the government's job to shape the behavior of its people?[/QUOTE]

Not really. I said they use tax code to do this. Whether it's right or good or bad or wrong was not the point. It's the way things are.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4004348]Is there anything that isn't improved by bacon?[/QUOTE]

Sex?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4004373]Sex?[/QUOTE]

A few Baco's in the right places? The real "low carb" diet alternative. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Know what's really stupid?

[SIZE="5"][B]YOU CAN BUY THE TOYS WITHOUT BUYING THE MEAL![/B][/SIZE]