Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN CB Rankings... Guess who's #1?

ESPN CB Rankings... Guess who's #1?

[URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/23050/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-cornerbacks"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/23050/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-cornerbacks[/URL]

ESPN.com’s NFL writers rank the top 10 cornerbacks in the league today. Next week: Top 10 quarterbacks.

Positional power rankings have produced some wild variations in voting. But none has had so many players mentioned as cornerbacks.

Previously, multiple votes had yielded 17 names. Our polling for the top 10 cornerbacks in the NFL touched on 23, a record that might be hard to break.

Ranking the Cornerbacks
    1. Darrelle Revis, New York Jets
    2. Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland Raiders
    3. Charles Woodson, Green Bay Packers
    4. Asante Samuel, Philadelphia Eagles
    5. Champ Bailey, Denver Broncos
    6. Antoine Winfield, Minnesota Vikings
    7. Tramon Williams, Green Bay Packers
    8. Devin McCourty, New England Patriots
    9. DeAngelo Hall, Washington Redskins
    10. Cortland Finnegan, Tennessee Titans

In another close finish, the Jets' Darrelle Revis edged the Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha. The two collected all the first- and second-place votes, but Revis outscored Asomugha 77-75 thanks to five first-place votes.

Overall, veterans ruled the day, with the top five outpointing the rest of the field by a good deal. Revis and Asomugha were followed by three players with a collective 33 seasons of NFL cornerbacking experience: Green Bay’s Charles Woodson, Philadelphia’s Asante Samuel and Denver’s Champ Bailey.

Woodson finished with 58 points, Samuel with 54 and Bailey with 53.

Of the votes for that trio, only two fell outside of the top five. NFC North maestro Kevin Seifert had Woodson sixth, just behind his teammate Tramon Williams. And AFC East maven Tim Graham placed Bailey seventh, with New England’s Devin McCourty (fifth) and Minnesota’s Antoine Winfield above him.

I had presumed Bailey started to slip in his 12th season in 2010. Then he shut down a red-hot Dwayne Bowe and got my attention in a way I remembered when I put him third on my ballot.

Ranking the Cornerbacks: How They Voted
    Rk Cornerbacks Tot
    JC TG PK MS KS JW BW PY
    1 Darrelle Revis 2 1 2 1 1 1 2 1 77
    2 Nnamdi Asomugha 1 2 1 2 2 2 1 75
    3 Charles Woodson 4 3 4 4 6 3 3 3 58
    4 Asante Samuel 3 4 5 5 3 4 5 5 54
    5 Champ Bailey 5 7 3 3 4 5 4 4 53
    6 Antoine Winfield -- 6 6 6 7 6 6 -- 29
    7 Tramon Williams 7 -- -- 7 5 -- 7 -- 18
    8 Devin McCourty 10 5 9 8 10 9 9 -- 17
    9 DeAngelo Hall -- 8 -- -- 8 7 -- -- 10
    10 Cortland Finnegan -- -- -- -- -- 8 -- 6 8
    Others Receiving Votes
    11 Stanford Routt 6 -- -- 10 -- -- -- -- 6
    12 Johnathan Joseph -- -- 7 -- -- 10 -- -- 5
    12 Antonio Cromartie 8 -- -- -- 9 -- -- -- 5
    12 Brent Grimes -- 9 8 -- -- -- -- -- 5
    15 Jabari Greer -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 7 4
    16 Brandon Flowers 10 -- 9 -- -- -- -- 3
    16 D. Rodgers-Cromartie -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 3
    16 Charles Tillman -- -- -- -- -- -- 8 -- 3
    19 Leon Hall 9 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 2
    19 Dunta Robinson -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 9 2
    21 Ron Bartell -- -- 10 -- -- -- -- -- 1
    21 Corey Webster -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 10 1
    21 Quentin Jammer -- -- -- -- -- -- 10 -- 1
    Key: JC=John Clayton; MS=Mike Sando; KS=Kevin Seifert; PY=Pat Yasinskas; TG=Tim Graham;
    BW=Bill Williamson; JW=James Walker; PK=Paul Kuharsky
    Rank: 1=10 points, 2=9 points, 3=8 points, 4=7 points, 5=6 points, etc.
    Graham’s thinking was quite different.

“We're in the offseason, so I've taken into account not only last season's performances, but also how the player projects into 2011 when compiling my positional Power Rankings ballots,” he said. “Bailey is going to be 33 years old before the start of next season and is on the downside. He's still great, but for how long?

“Power Rankings shouldn't be career-achievement awards. Devin McCourty was second-team Associated Press All-Pro, a first-team Sporting News All-Pro, voted a Pro Bowl starter by the fans, coaches and players and tied for second in interceptions. He deserved to be ranked ahead of Bailey, who wasn't mentioned for All-Pro and made the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement.”

Related Coverage
    • NFL Nation: Bloggers' reaction
    • Power Rankings: Wide Receivers
    • Power Rankings: Running Backs
    • Power Rankings: Pass-Rushers
    • Power Rankings: Tight Ends
    • Power Rankings: Head Coaches
    • Power Rankings: Linebackers

Though Graham had him fifth, McCourty got bottom-of-the-list votes from most of us, who seemed to respect his inaugural campaign but did not want to overscore a player who has been through the league only once. NFC South cruise director Pat Yasinskas left McCourty off his ballot entirely.

“One great season does not make a great career,” Yasinskas said. “Let's see him do it again. I'm not saying he's got to do it for 10 or 15 years. I've got a guy in my own back yard, Ronde Barber, and a lot of people say he's already put up Hall of Fame numbers. I didn't even put him on the list because I think he's not much more than a very nice player in the system. But you have to be consistently at the top for at least a few years before you get on a top 10 list.”

Winfield finished sixth (29 points), Williams seventh (18), McCourty eighth (17), Washington’s DeAngelo Hall ninth (10) and Tennessee’s Cortland Finnegan 10th (eight).

Williams was the lone player to make the top 10 while not being looked at as his team’s No. 1 guy. As much as I liked him, that prevented him from getting one of my votes. Same for Oakland’s Stanford Routt.

Rank 'Em: Top NFL cornerbacks
    How do the best cornerbacks in the NFL stack up? ESPN.com's stable of NFL bloggers weighed in with its rankings and we've tabulated the results.

• Rank the candidates

Although Williams and Routt played very well in 2010, their jobs can be made a lot easier by playing with Woodson and Asomugha rather than being asked to be their team’s version of those players. The toughest receiver on the opposition isn’t usually a factor for Williams or Routt.

John Clayton had Routt sixth and NFC West chart-master Mike Sando had him 10th, which left Routt in 11th place. Clayton set me straight on why Routt was, in fact, deserving.

“Nnamdi has years of not being thrown on,” Clayton said. “He’s had years in which only 14 or 15 passes were caught against him in a season.

“Routt had a phenomenal year in 2010, which led to his big contract,” Clayton said. “The percentage of passes against him that were completed was among the lowest in the league. His job is tougher because he has more passes thrown on him because of Nnamdi.”

All League
    Brandon Flowers is criminally underrated.

Bewildered Beast
    Would McCourty be a Top Ten CB if Pats opponents weren't abandoning the run by the 2Q??

No.

Woodson at #6? Seriously Seifert? I don't like to buy into hype of other teams' players, but Revis/Aso/Woodson should be the unanimous 1/2/3. I mean, this guy was the DPOTY just a year ago.

Terrible list.

Revis
    Aso
    Williams
    Flowers

Then everyone else

[QUOTE=Chupa;4004650][B]Terrible list.[/B]

Revis
    Aso
    Williams
    Flowers

Then everyone else[/QUOTE]

Oh, the irony

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4004396]Would McCourty be a Top Ten CB if Pats opponents weren't abandoning the run by the 2Q??

No.[/QUOTE]

Would you go out of your way to denigrate McCourty if he wasn't on the Pats?

No.

He's a very good cb, they can have good players too you know...

All League
    In other new Kyle Wilson made the list of top ten busts

All League
    [QUOTE=jzelada121;4004778]In other new Kyle Wilson made the list of top ten busts[/QUOTE]really dude??

wilson's already the new ghost??

[QUOTE=jzelada121;4004778]In other new Kyle Wilson made the list of top ten busts[/QUOTE]

It's only been one year. Also, if you paid attention, you'd know that Wilson was playing out of position for the majority of the season. Playing the slot is MUCH different from playing the corners. From the slot, you have to follow the WR in whatever direction he goes, and you're also usually playing against some of the fastest guys in the league. On the corners, where Wilson played his entire college career, you use the sideline to your advantage because they can only either go inside or on a fly route most of the time, so you can also utilize the press more, as you also usually have more help over the top than if you were playing the slot. I guarantee if you give Wilson an entire season and offseason of playing the corner, he could be a solid #2 for us, and you can quote me on that.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetgreen13;4004783]really dude??

wilson's already the new ghost??[/QUOTE]

Sorry but when the ball hits you in the facemask and all you do is stand there and look lost you pretty much suck. Any player with skill would pick that up and take it to the house. Still bitter about that....

Even if you are out of position real players make plays, even rooks.

All League
    [QUOTE=T-Rex N' Bones;4004796]It's only been one year. Also, if you paid attention, you'd know that Wilson was playing out of position for the majority of the season. Playing the slot is MUCH different from playing the corners. From the slot, you have to follow the WR in whatever direction he goes, and you're also usually playing against some of the fastest guys in the league. On the corners, where Wilson played his entire college career, you use the sideline to your advantage because they can only either go inside or on a fly route most of the time, so you can also utilize the press more, as you also usually have more help over the top than if you were playing the slot. I guarantee if you give Wilson an entire season and offseason of playing the corner, he could be a solid #2 for us, and you can quote me on that.[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right, but even playing the slot he had opportunities to make plays in big games and he did not.

Ha, I hope I'm right as well :)

screw revis, winking at my gf at an event tonight, thats twice now with this guy

[QUOTE=Wall Street Superstar;4004843]screw revis, winking at my gf at an event tonight, thats twice now with this guy[/QUOTE]

Pics plz

[QUOTE=T-Rex N' Bones;4004858]Pics plz[/QUOTE]

[img]http://media.silive.com/silive_top_stories/photo/darrelle-revis-kanejpg-ebc6f6c46374461f.jpg[/img]

:D

All League
    [QUOTE=T-Rex N' Bones;4004816]Ha, I hope I'm right as well :)[/QUOTE]

And BTW isnt that the same thing we were saying about the Ghost? That he was playing out of position?

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=JetsFan24;4004708]Would you go out of your way to denigrate McCourty if he wasn't on the Pats?

No.

He's a very good cb, they can have good players too you know...[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I guess I was unclear: With an offense that scores so fast and so prolifically, do we really put McCourty as a Top Ten CB? Revis went #8, this kid was not the first CB picked; he was #28 or ?? Opponents were abandoning the run by the 2Q; that tells me he had more opportunities than many other CB's.

Care to handle that one? :D

[QUOTE=jzelada121;4004809]Sorry but when the ball hits you in the facemask and all you do is stand there and look lost you pretty much suck. Any player with skill would pick that up and take it to the house. Still bitter about that....

Even if you are out of position real players make plays, even rooks.[/QUOTE]

Players drop passes all the time. Wilson wasn't goo, by any stretch last season, but he wasn't awful either. He was a rookie CB, he got picked on some, but overall wasn't worse then your average rookie CB. McCourty had a fantastic season, and that may color your feelings towards Wilson, but to write off a rookie CB as a bust is silly. Just like it would have been silly to write of Gholston, Bryan Thomas, Brick as busts after one season.

You simply cannot make a determination yet.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jzelada121;4004778]In other new Kyle Wilson made the list of top ten busts[/QUOTE]

no.