Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wright's NFL DraftCountdown New Mock -4/20/11

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Wright's NFL DraftCountdown New Mock -4/20/11

Here's the new Mock Draft from Scott Wright's NFL Draft Countdown.

I posted the top 5 picks and the Jets' pick.

Here's the Link for the entire 1st round. Enjoy!

#1 CAROLINA PANTHERS: CAM NEWTON, QB, AUBURN
    If this does indeed happen I will be vehemently against it and loudly pan the selection. However, the purpose of this mock is to predict what will happen, not necessarily what should happen, and the signs seem to be pointing in Newton’s direction. If Carolina has any doubts about whether or not Jimmy Clausen, who was their top pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, is the long-term solution under center then I have no problem with them taking a quarterback at #1. After all, the opportunity to nab a potential franchise signal caller doesn’t come along every year and quarterback play is what separates the good teams from the bad teams in the NFL. With that said, Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert would be a much better option than Auburn’s Cam Newton. Not only are there serious questions about Newton’s game and how it will translate to the next level, but there are also a number of off-the-field issues and concerns about Newton’s intangibles that could prevent him from ever maximizing his immense potential. Picking Newton with the top pick would be the ultimate high risk / high reward gamble and odds are it will eventually cost both General Manager Marty Hurney and Head Coach Ron Rivera their jobs. In a perfect world the Panthers would prefer to trade down a bit, but it doesn’t appear as though there is anyone interested in paying the price to move up. The other prospects still in the running are Georgia WR A.J. Green, Alabama DT Marcell Dareus and L.S.U. CB Patrick Peterson.

#2 DENVER BRONCOS: MARCELL DAREUS, DT, ALABAMA
    Despite their public flirtations with just about every quarterback in this class, there is little doubt that the Broncos will be going defense with this pick. In fact, they will probably be opting for defense with the vast majority of their choices in this draft. Now that the Denver is making the transition back to a 4-3 scheme they will have to drastically re-tool their defensive line. The interior is of particular concern and whether or not they have a single starting-caliber defensive tackle is debatable. Alabama’s Marcell Dareus is exactly the type of the impact presence the Broncos are searching for in the trenches. While Dareus isn’t a “sexy” choice, he’s an outstanding all-around player who has shown the ability to take over games. Dareus, who profiles as a three-technique, would provide the Broncos with the type of disruptive inside force they so desperately need. Denver has a glaring hole at linebacker as well and selecting Von Miller of Texas A&M would accomplish their goal of adding a blue-chip talent in the front seven while also upgrading the pass rush. Even though the Broncos re-signed Champ Bailey they will still take a long, hard look at L.S.U. CB Patrick Peterson too. Denver has also let it be known that they're more than willing to trade down so don’t rule out a deal, assuming they locate a partner.

#3 BUFFALO BILLS: VON MILLER, OLB, TEXAS A&M
    I’ve been telling everyone that Texas A&M OLB Von Miller was going to come off the board a lot earlier than most realized since mid-January and was the first to have him in the Top 3 overall of my mock. Others have now hopped onto the bandwagon and it’s hard to envision a scenario in which Miller escapes the Top 5. Buffalo’s top priority this offseason is to upgrade a pass rush that ranked near the bottom of the league and the addition of Miller would accomplish that. An athletic hybrid with explosive speed and a burst to terrorize opponents off the edge, Miller is being compared to the late, great Derrick Thomas and is exactly what the Bills are looking for. Keep in mind that Buffalo’s staff got an up close and personal look at Miller when they coached him in the Senior Bowl too. It appears as though Auburn QB Cam Newton is the other guy in the mix. Even though Ryan Fitzpatrick played much better than anyone could have expected last year he isn’t the long-term answer. Newton, who would be a terrific fit in Chan Gailey’s system, could be brought along slowly and would also reinvigorate a fanbase that needs a spark. Alabama’s Marcell Dareus will be in the conversation as well and his ability to excel in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme makes him an ideal fit in Buffalo. Even though the Bills appear to be relatively set in the secondary they will have to at least consider L.S.U. CB Patrick Peterson.

# 4 CINCINNATI BENGALS: A.J. GREEN, WR, GEORGIA
    The $64,000 question that Cincy must answer is whether or not Carson Palmer, who has threatened to retire if not traded, has a future with the franchise. If Palmer isn’t going to be in the picture the Bengals must zero in on a quarterback with this selection. Auburn’s Cam Newton would be a prototypical Bengals pick in that he is extraordinarily talented but has some off-the-field issues but Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert should also garner consideration. If Cincinnati feels Palmer will eventually relent they can focus their attention elsewhere. The Terrell Owens experiment was a disappointment and it appears as though Chad Ochocinco may soon be shown the door as well. Granted the Bengals do have some young talent at the wide receiver position and guys like Jerome Simpson, Andre Caldwell and Jordan Shipley have all shown flashes at times. However, none of those guys profile as a true #1 target in the NFL and the opportunity to land Georgia’s A.J. Green could prove too enticing to pass up. The most talented wideout to enter the draft since Calvin Johnson, Green is arguably the best and safest prospect in this class. Alabama’s Julio Jones could be “Plan B” if Green is already off the board. L.S.U. CB Patrick Peterson and Auburn DT Nick Fairley have also been talked about as possibilities for Cincy.

#5 ARIZONA CARDINALS: BLAINE GABBERT, QB, MISSOURI
    The apple of Arizona’s eye is Texas A&M OLB Von Miller, but it’s at best 50 / 50 as to whether he will be available. Assuming Miller is gone, it would be difficult to justify passing on a potential franchise signal caller like Blaine Gabbert of Missouri. Granted there have been indications that the Cardinals may prefer to go with a veteran such as Marc Bulger while continuing to develop youngsters John Skelton and Max Hall. However, that is a recipe for disaster and they would be wise to take advantage of the opportunity to address the most critical position in the game once and for all. Some feel Gabbert has come out of nowhere and is only being mentioned as a potential Top 10 pick because there isn’t a true stud quarterback prospect in this class. However, Gabbert has always been a very highly-regarded pro prospect and the only reason he was flying under the radar is because few expected him to come out early. Gabbert isn’t a finished product and will require some development, but he possesses both the physical tools and the intangibles that you look for in a top quarterback at the next level. The third option could be L.S.U. CB Patrick Peterson, who would shore up the secondary and give Arizona the league's most talented set of young corners.

With Cam Heyward STILL ON THE BOARD, the NY Jets select . . . . . . . . . .

#30 NEW YORK JETS: AKEEM AYERS, OLB, UCLA
    All indications are the Jets will use their first round pick to upgrade the front seven of their defense, with a pass rusher reportedly atop the wish list. Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas haven’t quite performed up to expectations in recent years while Jason Taylor is a free agent and just doesn’t provide much of an impact at this advanced stage of his career. At one point it appeared as though UCLA’s Akeem Ayers would be a mid-first rounder but a disappointing forty time at the Scouting Combine tempered that enthusiasm. A well-rounded player who can be a factor against the run, in coverage and, perhaps most importantly for a 3-4 team such as the Jets, as a pass rusher, Ayers is in many ways the total package. Georgia’s Justin Houston would be a perfect fit if available too and don’t rule out Arizona’s Brooks Reed either. New York could also use an upgrade at defensive end so five-techniques like Muhammad Wilkerson of Temple, Cameron Heyward of Ohio St. and Christian Ballard of Iowa will all be in the mix and don’t rule out Baylor’s Phil Taylor as a replacement for Kris Jenkins at nose tackle. Keep an eye on wide receiver too because Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith are unrestricted free agents and at least one might not return.
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-20-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It must suck to not have a QB and have to draft Cam Newton first overall. Thankfully the Jets don't have to think about that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be happy with the player but leaving Heyward on the board is balls....Heyward's still, by far, my dream pick at 30. I think he's a DL changer. That said Ayers is some quality sh*t (cough cough) and he'll probably work out here...I'm still a big fan of his skillset and potential skillset.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I'd be happy with the player but leaving Heyward on the board is balls....Heyward's still, by far, my dream pick at 30. I think he's a DL changer.
    +1 there is absolutely no way the Jets pass on Heyward

we talk about Reed, Ayers whoever... that's IF Heyward is gone. If he's there it's a no brainer pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It must suck to not have a QB and have to draft Cam Newton first overall. Thankfully the Jets don't have to think about that.
    Why teams think this way is beyond me. The Panthers will probably lose D.Williams, possibly steve smith, they are going to suck again next year so why the panic to get a QB now. We need a QB so we are going to talk ourselves into getting a guy with all sorts of ? 1st overall.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    they are going to suck again next year so why the panic to get a QB now. We need a QB so we are going to talk ourselves into getting a guy with all sorts of ? 1st overall.
    1) people are underrating Newton's upside. He's got once in a decade upside.

2) the idea that the Panthers can just sit there and stink waiting for Andrew Luck goes against how the NFL works. There is no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL. every team has to try to win, every year. these guys careers are too short and coaches don't last that long.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    +1 there is absolutely no way the Jets pass on Heyward

we talk about Reed, Ayers whoever... that's IF Heyward is gone. If he's there it's a no brainer pick.
    Eh...Ayers is pretty damn close to Heyward...both are solid and quality to me...at least Wright keeps Reed firmly out of the first. Such an obvious non-first rounder...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Eh...Ayers is pretty damn close to Heyward...
    In that ayers a linebacker runs as well as Heyward a 300 pounder yes they are close.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    In that ayers a linebacker runs as well as Heyward a 300 pounder yes they are close.
    Yep. That's what I draft my players on...how fast they ran 120 feet in a straight line....then I take the 10 yard split from it and go "THAT is how fast you are! It has been written!"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny guy

If we didn't have the Houston v. Ayers bet, I'd consider Ayers v. Heyward. Not that I think Ayers will definitely go before Heyward, but I think its about 50/50 as to who goes first.

I happen to think that Ayers will be well gone before #30. I also think Heyward is gone as well....

I'll be happy with either at #30, TBH. If both are gone (as well as Mo Wilk) and nothing else crazy happens (like A. Smith somehow falling), I really hope we trade down. There's no one else that I think the Jets "Need" to have assuming they're available. Jimmy Smith may be the other exception.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't know about this scott wright character anymore. The last couple years have had some dense choices... and I mean C'mon. It's April 21. It took you a month to update your mock. and all i get is 1 rnd? Weak Sauce. Walterfootball is lightyears ahead IMO.

Jets pass on Heyward... Ya. sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) people are underrating Newton's upside. He's got once in a decade upside.

I hear this on almost a yearly basis. Vince Young and Mike Vick were once in a decade talents. Casserly called Bradford a once in 10 years QB. If Luck does as expected he will be a once in a decade talent. Then we have guys who are not once in a decade talents like Aaron rogers, Drew Brees, Brady.

2) the idea that the Panthers can just sit there and stink waiting for Andrew Luck goes against how the NFL works. There is no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL. every team has to try to win, every year. these guys careers are too short and coaches don't last that long.

Nonsense, they can say they want to win now but any bad team is not going to vault into contention except in very rare cases. Can you imagine how Mark Sanchez would have looked if he had Adriene Clark, Clements and that lot on the o-line and Jerricho cotchery as your only viable receiver to go along with a suspect defense? One could argue that inserting a rookie QB into a pro style offense is a recipe for losing right off the bat.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear this on almost a yearly basis. Vince Young and Mike Vick were once in a decade talents.
    in retrospect, Mike Vick was in fact a once in a decade talent. Quarterbacks running legit 4.3 with his release and throwing arm simply do not come out. I am talking about physical upside, not Sam Bradford's passing upside. there are much better passers than Cam Newton. Im talking about the physical athlete, being able to run a 4.5 at 250+ and throw the ball through a brick wall, there is no Cam Newton in next year's draft... and probably not for some time. To fail to admit that is just being a hater. He's a tremendous athlete, period.

Nonsense, they can say they want to win now but any bad team is not going to vault into contention except in very rare cases.
    The NFL changes so much from year to year... the titans and Panthers in fact had playoff byes in 2009. look at the Cardinals they went from the Super Bowl to a top 5 pick... why? Quarterback play.

the Jets did not take DBrick and Mangold to build for a 2012 super bowl. they took those players to try to build an OL for Pennington.

all rebuilding guarantees is a culture of losing. there is no rebuilding in a sport where the avg player career is less than 3 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I really don't know about this scott wright character anymore. The last couple years have had some dense choices... and I mean C'mon. It's April 21. It took you a month to update your mock. and all i get is 1 rnd? Weak Sauce. Walterfootball is lightyears ahead IMO.

+1

I never understood the fascination with this guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

It's ACTUALLY 3 ROUNDS. due diligence . . . due diligence . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    It's ACTUALLY 3 ROUNDS. due diligence . . . due diligence . . .
    What are you two, best friends or something? And NO, there was not 3 rounds available. Clearly it was updated, but he only opened it with the first round.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-20-2011 at 06:25 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are you two, best friends or something? And NO, there was not 3 rounds available. Clearly it was updated, but he only opened it with the first round.
    Someone seems cranky . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The stress of not knowing where Kyle Rudolf is going to be taken has me wound up like a coke fiend in heat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

He's been losing alot of his following...most go to his site for the message boards, which have dried up like a puddle in Arizona (hyuckyuckyuck)...and f'n he said he's not doing scouting reports next year....How is it possible to run a draft site and not do scouting reports?

Ayers + Ellis would have me walking around with a full on clue draft weekend.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-20-2011 at 11:15 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's another thing too. does this guy have any clue about player's stock atm?? Ellis makes it to the bottom of rnd 3 like i make to the bottom hillary's duff.