Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wright's NFL DraftCountdown New Mock -4/20/11

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solid for the pats, he puts Ingram at 28 but says most likely it will be traded.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ellis supposedly has major character concerns no? I'd be very leery about taking some of these high talent bad character guys. The last few years guys that were draft with those concerns have sure enough gotten into trouble. (Talib, Cox, Jolly etc)

They always have 'matured' and 'changed' just before the draft but past bad behavior is a big warning sign.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Ellis supposedly has major character concerns no? I'd be very leery about taking some of these high talent bad character guys. The last few years guys that were draft with those concerns have sure enough gotten into trouble. (Talib, Cox, Jolly etc)

They always have 'matured' and 'changed' just before the draft but past bad behavior is a big warning sign.
    Good point! And add Dez Bryant to that list..At least Ellis would be a late 3rd and not a 1st...All comes down to how the Jets feel after their background checks and how his visit with them went...

But what if the Jets 1st was on Ayers and 3rd on Ellis..Add a CB prospect in the 4th...Sign me up!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Solid for the pats, he puts Ingram at 28 but says most likely it will be traded.
    There is no way that Belichick uses a 1st round pick on a runningback!

Just look at how the Patriots view running backs in the past since BB has been there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

It might only seem that way, cause you're reminded of the ones trouble follows them into the NFL. Mike Williams, the quintessential example of 1st rnd talent, late rnd attitude, did nothing but catch balls and turns heads all year.

I think teams just need to do their research. Is it something that we can coach out of him? Was it his social entourage? Do we have the kind of locker room that will quell or swell this behavior?
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-21-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    There is no way that Belichick uses a 1st round pick on a runningback!

Just look at how the Patriots view running backs in the past since BB has been there.
    Maroney? That's not to say I disagree with your conclusion - they have too many other needs to go RB, IMO, but I wouldn't base anything the Pats (or any other team for that matter) do now solely on what they've done in the past. They never drafted a LB in the first round....until they did (Mayo).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ exactly. You can't sit there and "they've never done X before" ... that's ridiculous.

It's tough to pin point NE's draft strategy but it usually involves jockeying around until the talent meets the pick and the team's need. NE doesn't need Ingram? NE has won a playoff game since before the 2007 SB. It's great that they have this lustre to their seasons still, but they can't get it done vs the Ravens's, Jet's and whatnot down the stretch.

Ignore the knee stuff and Ingram is an UNBELIEVABLE value late in rnd 1.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    ^^ exactly. You can't sit there and "they've never done X before" ... that's ridiculous.

It's tough to pin point NE's draft strategy but it usually involves jockeying around until the talent meets the pick and the team's need. NE doesn't need Ingram? NE has won a playoff game since before the 2007 SB. It's great that they have this lustre to their seasons still, but they can't get it done vs the Ravens's, Jet's and whatnot down the stretch.

Ignore the knee stuff and Ingram is an UNBELIEVABLE value late in rnd 1.
    Plus what could Belichick dislike about picking a Heisman winning running back getting compared to guys like Emmit Smith? That offense hasn't had a threat at running back since Corey f'n Dillon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the Jets are reportedly really high on Ayers, I haven't seen him enough to comment. But if he can rush the passer and bring some athleticism to our front 7 I would be happy.