Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snooker - Another World championship

Hall Of Fame

Snooker - Another World championship

...Flying under the radar.

Well, it is that time of the year again when the world's top 32 players gather in the famous Crucuble theater in Sheffield to determine who will be the next world champion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...er/default.stm

Plenty of subplots and stories again this year. Stephen Hendry seven times world champion and making noises about possibly retiring after this year. Hendry squeaks through his opening round 10-9 after his opponent makes a late blunder to let him back on to the table..

Then there is Ronnie O'Sullivan, 3 times world champion and in many people's eyes the greatest player ever to play the game (think Willie Mosconi as a reference). Ronnie actually quits the tournament two weeks ago only to change his mind and withdraw is withdrawal as it were. Ronnie blasted his first round opponent 10-2 and was twice close to achieving snooker's maximum break of 147. This break involves potting 36 balls in a very precise sequence.

Maybe it is time for Ding Junhui to take the next step up. Ding, the world #4 and recent winner of the Masters tournament where an estimated 100 million Chinese viewers tuned in to watch their hero. Ding is in outstang form leading up to this tournament. Asia in general and China in particular have experienced a huge explosion in the growth of the sport in recent years. Many people believe that ten years from now the top of the world rankings will be dominated by Chinese players.

Exciting stuff once you get an understanding of what it is that you are looking at. Still, much like the Cricket world cup which had an estimated 2 billion viewers worldwide, yes BILLION with a "B", I expect that it will likely pass pretty much without comment on these shores.
    Last edited by EM31; 04-20-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Does this really belong in this forum, as an "Arena" sport? Doesn't this really belong in the Bar Room Sports forum along with the Darts and Pinball World Championship threads?

Hall Of Fame
    In truth finding the correct forum was a challenge. Are you the hall monitor for these types of things nowadays GWH?

Take comfort in the fact that your unpaid status almost certainly means that your are being compensated in a manner that is consistent with the value that you provide.

Hall Of Fame
    Or to put it another way. I may not have actually read the book but I feel sure it must suck.

Jets Insider VIP
    I thought this was going to be about Snooki banging some meathead.

I had to google what it was

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    ...Flying under the radar.

Well, it is that time of the year again when the world's top 32 players gather in the famous Crucuble theater in Sheffield to determine who will be the next world champion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...er/default.stm

Plenty of subplots and stories again this year. Stephen Hendry seven times world champion and making noises about possibly retiring after this year. Hendry squeaks through his opening round 10-9 after his opponent makes a late blunder to let him back on to the table..

Then there is Ronnie O'Sullivan, 3 times world champion and in many people's eyes the greatest player ever to play the game (think Willie Mosconi as a reference). Ronnie actually quits the tournament two weeks ago only to change his mind and withdraw is withdrawal as it were. Ronnie blasted his first round opponent 10-2 and was twice close to achieving snooker's maximum break of 147. This break involves potting 36 balls in a very precise sequence.

Maybe it is time for Ding Junhui to take the next step up. Ding, the world #4 and recent winner of the Masters tournament where an estimated 100 million Chinese viewers tuned in to watch their hero. Ding is in outstang form leading up to this tournament. Asia in general and China in particular have experienced a huge explosion in the growth of the sport in recent years. Many people believe that ten years from now the top of the world rankings will be dominated by Chinese players.

Exciting stuff once you get an understanding of what it is that you are looking at. Still, much like the Cricket world cup which had an estimated 2 billion viewers worldwide, yes BILLION with a "B", I expect that it will likely pass pretty much without comment on these shores.
    Serious question...can you bet on this?

Snooker... my favorite time of the year.

In truth finding the correct forum was a challenge. Are you the hall monitor for these types of things nowadays GWH?

Take comfort in the fact that your unpaid status almost certainly means that your are being compensated in a manner that is consistent with the value that you provide.
    Or to put it another way. I may not have actually read the book but I feel sure it must suck.
    Chillax guy. Did I really need to put a cute li' smiley face thingy to indicate my response was tongue firmly in cheek? Here: better?

Quote Originally Posted by GronkWelkhead View Post
    Chillax guy. Did I really need to put a cute li' smiley face thingy to indicate my response was tongue firmly in cheek? Here: better?
    I guess you got rid of DWC2 so you have to start up with some one else.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I guess you got rid of DWC2 so you have to start up with some one else.
    LOL...you really do like to start trouble don't ya?

You're the one who made "Skittles" cry and run home.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GronkWelkhead View Post
    Does this really belong in this forum, as an "Arena" sport? Doesn't this really belong in the Bar Room Sports forum along with the Darts and Pinball World Championship threads?
    Are you really haunting the "outer forums" to be a doosh?

The guy, a Jet fan whom I have loyalty to, posted this in what he thought was the appropriate forum.

And here you are.

And there you go.

-
    Last edited by 32green; 04-20-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Are you really haunting the "outer threads" to be a doosh?

The guy, a Jet fan whom I have loyalty to, posted this in what he thought was the appropriate thread. And here you are.

And there you go.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Are you really haunting the "outer forums" to be a doosh?

The guy, a Jet fan whom I have loyalty to, posted this in what he thought was the appropriate forum.

And here you are.

And there you go.

-

You have a PM, 32.

EM31, I (Gronk) was attempting a joke. Sorry if I offended as it wasn't my intention. I wrongly assumed my comment would be taken in jest.

FF2, why you revel in other Pats Fans getting banned is a mystery.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Patrollie View Post
    You have a PM, 32.

EM31, I (Gronk) was attempting a joke. Sorry if I offended as it wasn't my intention. I wrongly assumed my comment would be taken in jest.

You have a PM too.

Yet...you cant read it.

Bwahahhaahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahhahahaha.

-

Sorry for the thread massacre EM.

But lol @ Vinny...

Hall Of Fame
    I have no problems with anyone on this thread. I was grinning a bit with the original post and then again with my own somewhat contrived overreaction to GWH's comments

FF2: Yes you can bet on pretty much anything in the UK.

Snooker is actually pretty riveting TV fare. I used to play semi seriously back in the day. It is much more suited to a TV asudience than Pool is over here. Something to do with the color of the balls I think. Of course it does not really qualify as a sport but hey, there is no pub sports forum as someone was kind enough to point out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Patrollie View Post
    Big fish in a small pond?

-

Hall Of Fame
    Personally I would vote to let him back if these things were a voting matter. Who is going to get tagged as the stupidest person in the room if we shoot all of the Pats fans?

Silly question really. We have a few homegrown candidates.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Personally I would vote to let him back if these things were a voting matter. Who is going to get tagged as the stupidest person in the room if we shoot all of the Pats fans?

Silly question really. We have a few homegrown candidates.
    He's back, but the snooker jokes had better stop.

There's a line.

-