Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snooker - Another World championship

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As my penance, I will take it upon myself to provide a daily update, until Lent is over at least, as the BBC link that was provided is for UK only (dammit).

Routine Selby victory sets up another clash with Hendry

Mark Selby breezed into the last 16 of the Betfred.com World Snooker Championship to set up another clash with Stephen Hendry.

Selby, who lead 8-1 overnight against Jimmy Robertson, won the first two frames of the day to complete an easy 10-1 victory at the Crucible.

"Unfortunately for Jimmy the occasion seemed to get the better of him," said Selby.

"He started off brilliantly by winning the first frame but he faded away and missed a lot of balls.

"It's everybody's dream to play at the Crucible but he didn't show what he's capable of.

"If he was to show any nerves than I expected it to be at the start but as it went on he got more nervous, which is a bit strange.

"But you have to be a good player to get to the Crucible and I'm sure he'll be back.

"I'm happy to get into the next round but I need to up my performance if I'm going to go on and challenge for the title.

"You never feel a part of the tournament until you get the first match out of the way and now with it being the best of 25s I feel in the tournament."

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Big fish in a small pond?

-
    So, you're saying he's fat?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Patrollie View Post
    FF2, why you revel in other Pats Fans getting banned is a mystery.
    I'm just a fan of bannings in general.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today's HOT Snooker update is a good one ...Read more to learn about the Wizard of Wishaw's grueling 17+ hour match....

Higgins respects McLeod challenge
    Snooker, 11:18, April 22, 2011

John Higgins is expecting a tough match against Rory McLeod in the last 16 of the World Snooker Championship after beating Stephen Lee.

The three-time champion built up an 8-3 lead only for Lee to win two frames without the Scot potting a ball, but he regained his composure to get over the line with a break of 81 to win the match on Thursday evening.
    The Wizard of Wishaw now has a couple of days off before he begins his second-round battle with England's McLeod, who drew criticism for the way he played in his opening victory over world number 16 Ricky Walden.
    McLeod took an average of 33 seconds over his shots and the match lasted seven hours and sixteen minutes, with Walden likening it to a visit to the dentist in terms of entertainment value.
    McLeod spent 10 years on the Challenge Tour and is the proverbial 'journeyman,' but he is enjoying an upturn in his fortunes at the age of 40 with his first visit to the Crucible.
    Higgins should be far too god for the Wellingborough player, who looked nervous throughout his first-round match, but Higgins is determined to afford him the respect he deserves and will take nothing for granted in his quest for a quarter-final berth (McLeod 9/1 to beat Higgins).
    "He's maybe been unfairly criticised," he said of McLeod. "There was lots of tension from Rory because he knew the TV cameras were on him and he wanted to do himself justice.
    "I'm expecting Rory to come out and play a lot better in his second match. I can't afford to think it's an easy match because it's certainly not that."

And for you wagerers, here's a betting tip from Paul Krishnamurty who says: Back Over 22.5 frames @ 1.9 in Ali Carter v Graeme Dott

And here's the prize they all covet (Not exactly the Harlon Hill, but it IS a beauty!):

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GronkWelkhead View Post
    Today's HOT Snooker update is a good one ...Read more to learn about the Wizard of Wishaw's grueling 17+ hour match....

And for you wagerers, here's a betting tip from Paul Krishnamurty who says: Back Over 22.5 frames @ 1.9 in Ali Carter v Graeme Dott

And here's the prize they all covet (Not exactly the Harlon Hill, but it IS a beauty!):

Paul Krishnamurty is a hack.

-

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're down to the quarterfinals in the World Snooker Championships. Details provided by ESPN-UK (who prove here that even the writers using the King's English aren't immune to ending a story with a preposition...) Regarless, looks like a tough blow to Hawkins.

Trump marches into the quarter-finals
    ESPN staff
    April 23, 2011 Mallett awaits news on future | Flower to skip tours under new England deal
    Judd Trump continued his recent good form Getty Images
    Enlarge Judd Trump wasted little time in securing his place in the quarter-finals of the World Snooker Championship, taking the two frames he needed to clinch a 13-6 victory over Martin Gould.

Coming into the third session on Saturday morning with a 11-5 advantage, the 21-year-old Trump was hoping to waste little time in moving into the last eight.

But Gould let it be known he would not just lie down and accept his fate, hitting back in the first frame of the session to move within five frames of his opponent after a nervous exchange of play that saw both players squander decent opportunities to build decisive breaks.

Trump soon shrugged off that disappointment, however, and a break of 69 after the balls opened up nicely was enough of a base for the recently-crowned China Open champion to move within a frame of victory.

And he made that step at the very next opportunity, a break of 53 again the foundation he needed to eventually finish matters and move on in the tournament.

Trump will now face either Ali Carter or Graeme Dott in the quarter-finals. The pair will return to the table later on Saturday with their contest delicately poised at 8-8.

In the other Saturday morning session, Barry Hawkins was pegged back by Martin Allen, who won the final six frames to take a 9-7 lead ahead of the final session of the match.

Hawkins looked to be edging clear of his opponent, ahead 7-3 early in the morning after a solid start, before the momentum in the match suddenly swung. After snagging two close frames in scrappy fashion, Allen suddenly found form - compiling breaks of 79, 114 and 82 to get his nose in front.

The final frame might have dealt the biggest blow to Hawkins, however, as he lost a tight tactical battle to see yet another frame slip away - leaving him with a few hours to contemplate how he can wrest back the momentum in a match he had looked in control of.