Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Players Union Already Cracking

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Players Union Already Cracking

Reports are out that group of 70+ mid-level players have hired their own law firm to represent them at the table.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://isuisu.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/jackie-chiles.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They decertified as a union so I guess they are free to do whatever they feel like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the NFL is WINNNNING

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4005268][IMG]http://isuisu.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/jackie-chiles.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    lol

your face is my case!

who told you to put the balm on?!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is all a forgone conclusion. The owners have more juice. The sooner the owners get what they want, the sooner we'll all get football back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny that there 1,700 NFL players but 70 of them want to be repped separately and that equals "cracking."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4005446]Funny that there 1,700 NFL players but 70 of them want to be repped separately and that equals "cracking."[/QUOTE]

It's not horrible but 4% of a union cracking is definitely discussion worthy...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any word if Tiki Barber will be joining the insurgents?

My guess is YES.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4005449]It's not horrible but 4% of a union cracking is definitely discussion worthy...[/QUOTE]

I don't know how it's "cracking" if all they want is to join in the litigation. The owners's lawyers still have to negotiate with the players' lawyers.

This just adds more lawyers. These 70 players can't do anything different.

Also, 4% of the union is the equal to 1 out of 32 owners. Is 1 owner saying something discussion worthy?
    Last edited by SMC; 04-20-2011 at 04:53 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4005456]I don't know how it's "cracking" if all they want is to join in the litigation. The owners's lawyers still have to negotiate with the players' lawyers.

This just adds more lawyers. These 70 players can't do anything different.[/QUOTE]

I agree that its small. But anytime you stop speaking with one voice, your position weakens a bit. IMO its just the small start to the players caving in. Just like always. The owners can now play the two groups against each other.

What if those 70 get what they want? Do they go back to work?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the players Union decertified? How can a Union that doesn't exist crack?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4005464]I thought the players Union decertified? How can a Union that doesn't exist crack?[/QUOTE]

They should re-title the thread as "Players' UNITY/SOLIDARITY is already cracking"

Here's the story:

[URL="http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6396301"]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6396301[/URL]

[B][SIZE="4"][URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6396256"]Report: Players to file for intervention[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

There could be a rift opening in the NFL Players Association.

A group consisting of as many as 70 players is close to signing with a law firm in order to intervene in the Tom Brady antitrust case, the Sports Business Daily reported on its website Wednesday, citing unnamed sources. The group of players isn't contesting the earlier lawsuit but wants a place at the mediation table, according to the report, so the group can explain its take on the labor dispute.

With the lockout in its 40th day, the NFL and its players wrapped up their court-ordered talks Wednesday. An attorney for the team owners, Jeff Pash, says a federal judge told both sides Wednesday that they probably won't convene again until May 16 -- nearly a month away.

Whereas the plaintiffs in the earlier lawsuit filed by 10 players consisted of some of the biggest names in the NFL -- Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning -- this new group comprises mid-tier players, according to the Sports Business Daily.

The new group of players, which the Sports Business Daily said could not yet be identified -- is reportedly unhappy that earlier mediation talks ended in Washington last month before the NFLPA filed for decertification.

DeMaurice Smith, the head of the players' trade association, said he was unaware of the report.

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel, one of the plaintiffs in the Brady case, told ESPN's Ed Werder in Minneapolis during a break in Wednesday's mediation session -- ordered two weeks ago by a federal judge -- that he was unaware of the report but said everybody on the players side is unhappy with how the original mediation attempt ended in Washington.

Vrabel said that abandoning the cause in this way would be the wrong way to demonstrate dissatisfaction.

"[B][I]We all have a seat at the table already. If they're unhappy, then we should get together and elect a new executive board[/I][/B]," he said.

Some things have to happen, however, before the intervention is filed, the Sports Business Daily reported. The law firm wants at least 75 players on board before filing the intervention, and the firm has to resolve a minor conflict, which was not identified in the report. If these issues are solved, the new group of players could file by the end of this week.

It has been two weeks since U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson ordered the Brady class and the NFL back to the negotiating table. She is expected to decide soon on the players' request to lift the lockout, which is the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987. Her decision almost certainly will be appealed.

"That is the judge's decision," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a conference call Wednesday with New York Giants season-ticket holders during a break in the fourth day of mediation. "She will make that ruling when she is prepared to do it, and at that point in time we all will respect the ruling and we will get back to the point where we are negotiating."

The two sides spent four days with U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan, following 16 days of failed talks in front of a federal mediator in Washington.

Some have questioned whether the two sides were committed to negotiating while awaiting Nelson's ruling. But Goodell said all parties involved remain committed to the process.

"I think fans want solution. I want solutions," he said. "I think the players want solutions and I think the teams want solutions. That's why we have to be working at it in negotiations and figuring out how to get to that point."

With appeals expected, there isn't a ton of time left when it comes to the 2011 season. The NFL released its regular-season schedule Tuesday night, announcing that the season will open Thursday, Sept. 8, with the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers hosting the New Orleans Saints.

That's less than five months away, with free agency, trades and other roster decisions still up in the air while the lockout is in place.

The announcement of the schedule came with a big if, of course. The longer the labor strife drags through the court system, the more danger is posed to actual games being canceled.

"We have to identify the solutions and get it done," Goodell said. "It is tough for me to project. We're going to continue to make the preparations for the season and work as hard as we can to solve those issues in advance so we can play every game and every down of the season."

[I][SIZE="1"]Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.[/SIZE][/I]
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-20-2011 at 05:11 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no players' union so they can't be cracking. As I said in another thread I believe, in contract negotiations the veterans or more senior employees usually eat their young. You already saw that the union was ready to implement a rookie salary cap; they are just disagreeing on the numbers. Since there is no union and this is a class action, why wouldn't the younger players or mid-range players protect their interests and get involved? It makes perfect sense. You would have to be a fool to believe that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning represent your interests.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4005260]Reports are out that group of 70+ mid-level players have hired their own law firm to represent them at the table.[/QUOTE]

I get your meaning here. As a member of a union that is going through something similar, impeachment talk from a small insurgency, I agree that it is significant. It presents itself as a vote of no-confidence in the current leadership.

Yes, we know that the union decertified and "doesn't exist".:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4005523]There is no players' union so they can't be cracking. As I said in another thread I believe, in contract negotiations the veterans or more senior employees usually eat their young. You already saw that the union was ready to implement a rookie salary cap; they are just disagreeing on the numbers. Since there is no union and this is a class action, why wouldn't the younger players or mid-range players protect their interests and get involved? It makes perfect sense. You would have to be a fool to believe that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning represent your interests.[/QUOTE]

You keep mixing the argument between "young" and "mid-range". Brady,
    Manning, Revis, Mangold, Wilfork, Sanchez, etc. are the big buck players and
    this is about them, not the "low" end or "mid-range". I suspect that the players
    who are opting out of the union position are doing so just because the union
    (and agents) don't give a **** about them and they want a voice.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4005456]
    Also, 4% of the union is the equal to 1 out of 32 owners. Is 1 owner saying something discussion worthy?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, yes.

Dissension in the ranks is still dissension, no matter the volume.

Again, it's not a huge deal. Maybe not even a big deal. But it's worth discussing.

IMO, more players will follow suit (lol) with their own agenda as this small faction has.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4005537]
    Yes, we know that the union decertified and "doesn't exist".:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

+1

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4005260]Reports are out that group of 70+ mid-level players have hired their own law firm to represent them at the table.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=C Mart;4005268][IMG]http://isuisu.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/jackie-chiles.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL...perfect.

:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;4005552]You keep mixing the argument between "young" and "mid-range". Brady,
    Manning, Revis, Mangold, Wilfork, Sanchez, etc. are the big buck players and
    this is about them, not the "low" end or "mid-range". I suspect that the players
    who are opting out of the union position are doing so just because the union
    (and agents) don't give a **** about them and they want a voice.[/QUOTE]

There IS a mix. By young, I'm talking about present and future players on rookie contracts who haven't hit the jackpot yet (not players like REvis and Mangold who got their money in the second contract) and the mid-range players can be veterans who don't make a lot. We are basically in agreement. They are doing what is best for the top earners. Usually, they get even more money for the top earners and leave the "young" and lower-wage veterans behind.