Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Govt. Spending are Democrats/Liberals Supporting of Cutting?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

What Govt. Spending are Democrats/Liberals Supporting of Cutting?

Just curious, we generally hear "tax increases" as the fiscal solution from the left, with (at times) a grudging admission that some spending must also be cut.

So I'd like to ask our left-leabing friends, what Govt. Spending (as specific as you can be, please) do you, or your elected party (D), support cutting, and why?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a D, but Military.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Hands off Cowboy Poetry you filthy Republitards......

[url]http://youtu.be/hsDwEUJPlSU[/url]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    …..along with military cuts they also say eliminating tax exemptions is actually cutting spending…
    Obama said in his address that the govt and its agencies need to be consolidated but has yet to offer a plan….
    Not only does GE get a pass on taxes with liberals in office but I believe they have not even offered a plan to not allow this to happen again.
    It seems there biggest plan is to wait on republicans to make a move first and then call it extreme…..
    Its embarrassing the lack of leadership

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    military cuts- there's no need for cold war weaponry when our enemies live in caves. There's no need for 11 active aircraft carrier groups when no other army has more than 1.

medicare cuts - change the coverage, what is covered, what isn't. Plan D wtf is that? we can talk about everyone paying into the system but the system has been bloated over 40 years.

SS cuts - raise retirement age, this is a no brainer.

tax break expires - there's a reason why it's called a tax break. like spring break it's fun but it eventually has to end. Saying that's raising taxes is crying in the soup, it's not raising taxes it's expiring a break. When the thing was passed it was written to expire.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the government should declare Chapter 11 and do what corporations are allowed to do, reorganize and go right on doing business. Let the Chinese and the Saudis declare war because we defaulted and left them holding the bag. Then we can use up all those weapons we've been making by blasting them to smithereens. This is plan. Oh wait, I think that's the NeoCon plan... sorry, carry on... ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4006046]military cuts- there's no need for cold war weaponry when our enemies live in caves. There's no need for 11 active aircraft carrier groups when no other army has more than 1.

medicare cuts - change the coverage, what is covered, what isn't. Plan D wtf is that? we can talk about everyone paying into the system but the system has been bloated over 40 years.

SS cuts - raise retirement age, this is a no brainer.

tax break expires - there's a reason why it's called a tax break. like spring break it's fun but it eventually has to end. Saying that's raising taxes is crying in the soup, it's not raising taxes it's expiring a break. When the thing was passed it was written to expire.[/QUOTE]

11 carriers allow us to deploy around the world. How else would we do it. No other country has the ability. But the military can reduce outsourcing. The mess halls are run by civilian companies - used to be people from the various component units assigned for the day. Also reduce high level people, retire them.
    SS - Tax from dollar 1. Age 70, no early retirement.
    Medicare - age 70
    If the tax cuts expire, make the expiration for EVERYONE. That's fair.
    Eliminate Dept of Education and HUD for a starter. States should handle, local matter.
    Do a 5% head count reduction in every non military department.
    Do a 10 % staff reduction in Congress and executive staff.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously this doesn't make a dent in the budget, but liberals really need to let go of NPR, PBS, and funding for the arts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4006093]11 carriers allow us to deploy around the world. How else would we do it. No other country has the ability. .[/QUOTE]

We wouldn't? Im not saying cut em all but 11 is excessive

how about the F-35 we don't even use the damn thing. The war that plane was built for never happened.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The additional appropriations for Afganistan, Iraq and Libya have allready exceeded 120 billion for 2011.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4006169]how about the F-35 we don't even use the damn thing. The war that plane was built for never happened.[/QUOTE]

Hard to use what we don't have yet.

[QUOTE]The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is a family of single-seat, single-engine, fifth generation multirole fighters [B][U]under development[/U][/B] to perform ground attack, reconnaissance, and air defense missions with stealth capability.[9][10] The F-35 has three main models; one is a conventional takeoff and landing variant, the second is a short take off and vertical-landing variant, and the third is a carrier-based variant.[/QUOTE]

In addition:

[QUOTE]The F-35 is required to be four times more effective than legacy fighters in air-to-air combat, eight times more effective than legacy fighters in air-to-ground combat, and three times more effective than legacy fighters in reconnaissance and suppression of air defenses – while having better range and requiring less logistics support. Further, the design goals call for the F-35 to be the premier strike aircraft through 2040 and be second only to the F-22 in air superiority.[/QUOTE]

And of course:

[QUOTE]The JSF program was designed to replace the United States military F-16, A-10, F/A-18 (excluding newer E/F "Super Hornet" variants) and AV-8B tactical fighter aircraft. To keep development, production, and operating costs down, a common design was planned in three variants that share 80 percent of their parts[/QUOTE]

So, is it your position that a War that involves air-to-air, ground attack and/or recon and air def. supression has "never happened"?

Or would those roles be a great description of the No-Fly Zone President Obama launched in Libya?

Or is this just the usual Bit "there will never be another conventional war involving the US ever again" theory?
    Last edited by Warfish; 04-21-2011 at 04:53 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;4006098]Obviously this doesn't make a dent in the budget, but liberals really need to let go of NPR, PBS, and funding for the arts.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, this is one of the few areas that I feel I've gotten some bang for my buck. And what is NPR... I think it's something like .01% of the budget. And I actually listen to it on the way to work. Although I have thought it would be a great idea to have a radio station that does nothing but provide books on audio.... I'd listen to that over a story about wildlife in afghanistan anyday. ;)

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4006169]We wouldn't? Im not saying cut em all but 11 is excessive

how about the F-35 we don't even use the damn thing. The war that plane was built for never happened.[/QUOTE]

We have 21 Aircraft carriers and 11 of them are Super carriers

The other 10 carriers are LHA/LHDs. Any other nation in the world considers those ships as aircraft carriers.

I think you mean the F-22 Raptor not the F-35

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4006297]
    I think you mean the F-22 Raptor not the F-35[/QUOTE]

yeah my bad. the f22 they never use. the f35 is the one where they just cancelled the 2nd engine maker. Sorry i get my military boondoggles mixed up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to getting rid of the Bush Tax Break the following should cuts should be made in:
    1. Military Spending- i think Bit was pretty clear .
    2. Medicare needs to be revamped, need to cut coverage for costs that meke no medical sense (call it rationing if you want).
    3. Raise SS age to 70 for some (cant expect a construction worker to work into his 70s)
    4. Raise the SS tax limit to say $200,000. Donald Trump shouldnt be taxed for only up to$90,000.
    5. Cuts in Foreign Aid. Israel and Egypt receive 1/3 of our total foreign aid. Why? These are not developing countries. Their aid should be slashed first.
    6. Withdraw from Afghanistan- this is literally throwing out money.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4006297]We have 21 Aircraft carriers and 11 of them are Super carriers

The other 10 carriers are LHA/LHDs. Any other nation in the world considers those ships as aircraft carriers.

I think you mean the F-22 Raptor not the F-35[/QUOTE]

LHA/LHDs are used to deliver Marines to a combat situation. The aircraft they carry can not hold their own in a against even a marginal opponent. They are ground support. Comparing a LHA to a super carrier is like comparing a rifleman to a tank.
    As far as aircraft, what is the lifespan? The F-15 has been around over 30 years (the Navy retired their version, F-14). THe F16 (AF) and F18 (Navy) are also old.
    Very few F22s were produced, the F35 being more versatile and cheaper.
    The Army still uses a variant of the M16. Is 46 years long enough? The M16 is a good jungle/short range rifle but not good in other environments.
    There was s crew the military attitude before WWII. That didn't work out well for a couple years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4006686]Comparing a LHA to a super carrier is like comparing a rifleman to a tank.[/QUOTE]

I didn't serve so I try to stay out of questioning what the military needs and doesn't need.

I'd imagine Buster/Bit should do the same.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4006276]Sadly, this is one of the few areas that I feel I've gotten some bang for my buck. And what is NPR... I think it's something like .01% of the budget. And I actually listen to it on the way to work. Although I have thought it would be a great idea to have a radio station that does nothing but provide books on audio.... I'd listen to that over a story about wildlife in afghanistan anyday. ;)[/QUOTE]

If you want books read on the radio pay for Sirius/XM they have that. [URL]http://www.siriusxm.com/bookradio[/URL]
    Expecting the government to provide that even at .01% of the budget makes no sense. Why should entertainment be something the government provides?

Also if you want tax payer funded audio books you can borrow them from the library and listen to them in your car at your conveniece. That way you also get the whole book rather than chapters 1, 4, 5, 9, etc when you happened to be in the car or near a radio. Would you like a constituaitonal ammendment to make sure they replay all chapters in particular intervals to ensure that you will be able to hear all of them?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4006693]I didn't serve so I try to stay out of questioning what the military needs and doesn't need.

I'd imagine Buster/Bit should do the same.[/QUOTE]

I did serve but I don't mind those who didn't offering an opinion. To them, their opinion is fact. I was never President but I offer an opinion relative to his performance.
    BTW, despite being very pro military, I do see waste on a monumental scale. Not in the number of lower ranking people but the number of the highest rank. They are merely being kept in many cases to get their pensions. It's the buddy system - West Point, Annapolis, AF Academy.
    Also waste in programs which in many cases the military does not want. Congressman do for their districts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4006686]LHA/LHDs are used to deliver Marines to a combat situation. The aircraft they carry can not hold their own in a against even a marginal opponent. They are ground support. Comparing a LHA to a super carrier is like comparing a rifleman to a tank.
    As far as aircraft, what is the lifespan? The F-15 has been around over 30 years (the Navy retired their version, F-14). THe F16 (AF) and F18 (Navy) are also old.
    Very few F22s were produced, the F35 being more versatile and cheaper.
    The Army still uses a variant of the M16. Is 46 years long enough? The M16 is a good jungle/short range rifle but not good in other environments.
    There was s crew the military attitude before WWII. That didn't work out well for a couple years.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Being an Air Force vet I am pro-military but there is definitely room to cut. We could probably find 10-20% savings just based on efficiencies and minor cuts of duplicated services and reducing our presence in Europe and other more stable areas by 25% without losing much if anything in our quick mobility.[/FONT][/COLOR]