Thread: Raising taxes without "raising taxes"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Raising taxes without "raising taxes"

Just been informed by HR that Obamacare and the IRS will now begin counting whatever my company pays for my healthcare coverage as my own personal "income." This goes for everyone (except perhaps the unions and thousands of other Democrat Party supporters who have received a waiver from the draconian measures of Obamacare).

More "Change We Can Believe In!"

I could live with it, if it were universal. It is, if we're being honest about it, income (the fact the money is spent for you is irrelevant, it's a value you're reciving for employement, i.e. income). In fact, this change would likely spur on folks wishing to have companies OUT of providing insurance, and instead wanting jobs to simply pay YOU the money, and you can go buy insurance yourself.

The issue I have is, as is so often the case with liberal tax policy, the inherant desrimination/inequallity of the policy. Far as I have read, there are exceptions everywhere, but many for specific groups of Democrat Party loyalists, like Unions, who often have the highest-end policies possible.

If we're going to treat it as income, fine, but treat it as income for everyone, and tax everyone equally. Same as I always say.

FALSE

The value will appear on employees’ W-2 forms for information purposes, but will not be considered taxable income.

[url]http://www.factcheck.org/2010/05/health-care-law-and-w-2-forms/[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;4005982]FALSE

The value will appear on employees’ W-2 forms for information purposes, but will not be considered taxable income.

[url]http://www.factcheck.org/2010/05/health-care-law-and-w-2-forms/[/url][/QUOTE]

Interesting, and great news if true. Info was presented during a staffwide meeting with HR...would love to prove them wrong.

Have to admit I'm leery even about it being presented on W-2 forms for "information purposes"....what exactly do they need that information for, and what do they plan to do with it?

[QUOTE=shakin318;4005958]Just been informed by HR that Obamacare and the IRS will now begin counting whatever my company pays for my healthcare coverage as my own personal "income." This goes for everyone (except perhaps the unions and thousands of other Democrat Party supporters who have received a waiver from the draconian measures of Obamacare).

More "Change We Can Believe In!"[/QUOTE]

Um, this simply isn't true. McCain actually wanted this. :eek:

But rock on.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Happy to hear it's not accurate -- even happier to tell the HR twit that she's misinformed.

Here's the actual provision:

Starting in 2016 (five years after the W-2 reporting goes into effect), you’ll be subject to additional tax if your total health insurance premiums are more than $10,200/year for employee-only coverage, or more than $27,500 per year for a family plan. More specifically, this provision levies a 40% non-deductible excise tax on healthcare benefits in excess of these thresholds, though there are a number of exceptions.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4006001]

Starting in 2016 (five years after the W-2 reporting goes into effect), you’ll be subject to additional tax if your total health insurance premiums are more than $10,200/year for employee-only coverage, or more than $27,500 per year for a family plan. More specifically, this provision levies a 40% non-deductible excise tax on healthcare benefits in excess of these thresholds, though there are a number of exceptions.[/QUOTE]

its certainly not great news but 40% excise on excess of 27.5k is way better than all of it added to gross income. and as we know alot can change by 2016

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4006001]Happy to hear it's not accurate -- even happier to tell the HR twit that she's misinformed.

Here's the actual provision:

Starting in 2016 (five years after the W-2 reporting goes into effect), you’ll be subject to additional tax if your total health insurance premiums are more than $10,200/year for employee-only coverage, or more than $27,500 per year for a family plan. More specifically, this provision levies a 40% non-deductible excise tax on healthcare benefits in excess of these thresholds, though there are a number of exceptions.[/QUOTE]

Grab her ass after you explain it to her - as kind of a compensation thing. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=quantum;4006047]Grab her ass after you explain it to her - as kind of a compensation thing. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I always volunteer to be Mr. Bungle during all Sexual Harassment training seminars.