Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Taylor the Possible

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil Taylor the Possible

I've been giving alot of thought to this big mofo.

I've come up with a few reasons I think he'd be an awesome pick at 30:

1: He's huge. I'm a big fan of the Parcells big man theory or w/e it's called, and a 6'4 340 pound DT certainly falls into that category. As you can see from this:

You're not going to find many guys who hold 340 pounds better.

2: He's athletic as heck. A couple have talked about how Christian Ballard moves so well for his size. On tape, Taylor, as a 330+ pound man, moves his feet like he weighs 180 pounds.

3: He's an active big man. I don't have any major problems with his motor.

4: He put in work this year and really improved his game. It was harder to single block him, he used his hands more, and obviously he got into significantly better shape. He was a major presence against the run in the regular season too...and they kept him on the field for passing downs, though in college this is way more likely to happen.

5: When he moved to Baylor he got close with his coaches. Very shrewd move by a kid who needed to surround himself with people who really wanted to see him do well.

Issues with him:

1: He got single blocked and handled more often than anyone would probably like. Part of me is not worried about this, because I feel like it's a common knock amongst big men. I also saw improvement this year against a single blocker, and the Senior Bowl stuff raved about his ability to hold his ground. That said, he did get single blocked more often than I'm sure many/most would feel a guy with his size should.

2: Can you name a top player from Baylor? I know Birk the C for the Ravens is one, but two?

3: His past. The Penn State stuff probably comes up.

4: Playing strength is still not to it's max potential. This...this depends completely on how much you care about something like that...he's a college kid...I wouldn't expect his strength to be where it will be.

So yeah...I believe he's one of those guys who's passed the whole evaluation process and has made himself a legitimate first round guy. He's actually one of the 3-4 guys I'd really love to grab at 30. What're the board thoughts on this guy a week before the draft? Anyone else think he's a guy who's done enough work to be taken seriously in the first, or do you still think the questions loom too large?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good chance he won't even be there at 30....Might not get past KC at 21...

If he's there at #30 and the Jets pick him I won't be upset. If he can stuff the middle on the run, create havoc, draw double teams while rushing the QB to free up others to get to the QB then sign me up!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im also a big fan of Taylor at 30. With what Rex has shown with developing d-lineman, imagine if he can get this guy to his max potential.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

If he's there at #30 and the Jets pick him I won't be upset. If he can stuff the middle on the run, create havoc, draw double teams while rushing the QB to free up others to get to the QB then sign me up!
    I think there's a chance he's gone in the teens...interest will start with the Texans, who've needed a big DT for years now...not many teams who'll say no to a 340 pound DT with height if they feel they even kinda want/need him.

I also believe that the gains he can make in an NFL workout program could come quick...similar to Ngata...Ngata jumped right in after being drafted and played his rookie year in the best shape of his life...he then built on that to be where he is today.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-21-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I've been giving alot of thought to this big mofo.

I've come up with a few reasons I think he'd be an awesome pick at 30:

1: He's huge. I'm a big fan of the Parcells big man theory or w/e it's called, and a 6'4 340 pound DT certainly falls into that category. As you can see from this:

You're not going to find many guys who hold 340 pounds better.

2: He's athletic as heck. A couple have talked about how Christian Ballard moves so well for his size. On tape, Taylor, as a 330+ pound man, moves his feet like he weighs 180 pounds.

3: He's an active big man. I don't have any major problems with his motor.

4: He put in work this year and really improved his game. It was harder to single block him, he used his hands more, and obviously he got into significantly better shape. He was a major presence against the run in the regular season too...and they kept him on the field for passing downs, though in college this is way more likely to happen.

5: When he moved to Baylor he got close with his coaches. Very shrewd move by a kid who needed to surround himself with people who really wanted to see him do well.

Issues with him:

1: He got single blocked and handled more often than anyone would probably like. Part of me is not worried about this, because I feel like it's a common knock amongst big men. I also saw improvement this year against a single blocker, and the Senior Bowl stuff raved about his ability to hold his ground. That said, he did get single blocked more often than I'm sure many/most would feel a guy with his size should.

2: Can you name a top player from Baylor? I know Birk the C for the Ravens is one, but two?

3: His past. The Penn State stuff probably comes up.

4: Playing strength is still not to it's max potential. This...this depends completely on how much you care about something like that...he's a college kid...I wouldn't expect his strength to be where it will be.

So yeah...I believe he's one of those guys who's passed the whole evaluation process and has made himself a legitimate first round guy. He's actually one of the 3-4 guys I'd really love to grab at 30. What're the board thoughts on this guy a week before the draft? Anyone else think he's a guy who's done enough work to be taken seriously in the first, or do you still think the questions loom too large?
    Birk is from Harvard

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by poppapump View Post
    Birk is from Harvard
    Mike Singletary went to Baylor

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont see how this player is any better than Pouha.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on this. I'm starting to like the idea of this Kid clogging up the middle. I love Devito but they need someone better and depth. Jenkins is done.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalJet View Post
    I'm with you on this. I'm starting to like the idea of this Kid clogging up the middle. I love Devito but they need someone better and depth. Jenkins is done.
    Oops... meant Poaha

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind him if his health checks out ok.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Pouha is a good player but I don't see him creating havoc, disrupting blocking schemes and demanding double teams, which in turn frees blitzing lanes for LBs and DBs...Taylor, from the writeups, has that potential.
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-21-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a shocker.

1 - He's over a decade younger.

2 - He's got 0 history of injury.

3 - He's bigger/taller.

4 - Age and size mean he possibly has more potential against the pass.

5 - He can handle the 3-4 DE position because of his height/length/size/feet. Which is another way of saying....

6 - He's a better athlete.

There...6 reasons he makes sense here....which is at least 5 more reasons than you'd have for making Brooks Reed your #2 OLB.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-21-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1 - He's over a decade younger.
    nose tackle is not a young man game, Pouha has another 5 years.

2 - He's got 0 history of injury.
    except for the foot thing which is a draft rumor but still troubling.

4 - Age and size mean he possibly has more potential against the pass.
    he has no potential against the pass. He's got 5 career sacks. 3 at penn state, 2 at Baylor.

6 - He's a better athlete.
    pouha worked out like a beast, almost NGata numbers.

Id' rather have Austin, Kenrick Ellis, Paea... heck anyone else besides Phil Taylor.

Taylor to NYJ is basically drafting a 2nd team NT who might not even be active on game day.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    He's not my favorite pick at #30, but he's one of those guys that if the FO takes him, I'll defer to them in that he obviously has a real big upside. If they think his foot isn't an issue, and that he's the best addition to the Front 7, I guess I'm OK with it. There's no doubting his talent.

he has no potential against the pass. He's got 5 career sacks. 3 at penn state, 2 at Baylor.

Id' rather have Austin, Kenrick Ellis, Paea... heck anyone else besides Phil Taylor.

Taylor to NYJ is basically drafting a 2nd team NT who might not even be active on game day.
    Isn't it possible for both Pouha AND Taylor to be on the field at the same time? Pouha isn't anchored at NT....nor is Taylor. I agree that a real 5 technique like Mo Wilk or Heyward is probably a more traditional need, but if those guys are gone, I'm guessing Taylor could line up there on more than a few occasions.
    Last edited by crasherino; 04-21-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have faith in Rex to find run stuffers. He can turn Martin Tevasau into a better player than Phil Taylor ever will be.

Phil Taylor is a great pick if you are a Kansas City Chiefs fan with no real NT on the roster. the Jets have run stuffers like crazy they need a pass rusher.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Pouha hopes he has another 5 years as a starter. He's lucky as hell he even got these 2, as there's no one on this team who's had more problems with injury.

2. I know this might stun you, but Taylor doesn't HAVE to play NT on a 3 man line.

3. NT is not a young man game? Tf does that even mean? Certainly didn't do anything to hurt Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton.

Unlike Pouha, he hasn't missed chunks of seasons for an injury.

Also on the foot:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ecked_out_fine

I'd think you'd know this by now...

Oh. Just like that? No.

He was TWENTY SIX when he put up those numbers...he then spent the next 5 years trying to stay healthy. Ngata my balls. He doesn't belong in the same sentence, and I'm someone who praised Pouha for YEARS on this board. He woulda/shoulda/coulda been the NT since '06 if he could stay on the field, but he couldn't and he didn't.

Cool story. You'd also draft Brooks Reed in the first round and have him as your #2 OLB...We'd be lucky to have Taylor as an option at 30. You have no problem with drafting a project DE convert in the first or a couple undersized guys...but Taylor is the line...lol...Oooook...makes sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and good call on the Birk thing...I thought a top C came out of Baylor and he might be it...not so much...Baxter and Singletary came out of Baylor...Baxter is the CB who would have kicked ass but instead got hurt.

As far as Taylor and NT...you guys should start thinking outside the box a little...look at even the picture I posted there if you haven't seen Taylor play...while he's got NT measurables with the 340 pounds...that's a dude with some length on his frame...it's not out of the question that a 3-4 team asks him to play DE...hell...if someone like the Pats or Ravens took him he WOULD be playing DE...and Rex is the DC who first decided to use his unusually athletic 6'4" 340 pound DT as a DE in his system...iunno why he's so pegged at NT right now.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have faith in Rex to find run stuffers. He can turn Martin Tevasau into a better player than Phil Taylor ever will be.

Phil Taylor is a great pick if you are a Kansas City Chiefs fan with no real NT on the roster. the Jets have run stuffers like crazy they need a pass rusher.
    I thought you mentioned the other day they don't need a pass rusher since they finished 8th in sacks..

the Jets ranked 8th in sacks last year.

the board seems to think this is unacceptable but statistically it's not a problem.
    or Rex can fake a pass rush

Rex can fake a pass rush. Rex can fake a front seven.

and they don't need pass rushers they signed Garett McIntyre..

the Jets are going to be focused on signing their own players... especially Harris and the 2 WR.

fwiw the Jets did sign a pass rusher... Garrett McIntyre from CFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you mentioned the other day they don't need a pass rusher since they finished 8th in sacks..

It's hilarious how transparent that schtick of his actually is...

Bit, I think you're the only guy here who takes Martin T seriously enough to learn his last name. Faith in Rex Ryan is not an actual reason to pretend this Martin UDFA has the talent to make Rex ignore first round DL guys...just like faith in Rex's hype of Pito is not a reason to not draft a first round DL guy...just like Dwan Edwards/Justin Bannan/Kelly Gregg/whoever else was there didn't stop Rex from drafting Haloti Ngata...Rex doesn't just like giant DL...he LOOOOOVES them.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-21-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I never promised consistency. forced to take one position i do think the pass rush is decent enough to win. but it's getting old fast.